The list of collateral effects of a potential government shutdown keeps growing and people are none too pleased about it. Here are just a few of the negative impacts that could arise if Congress and the White House fail to reach an agreement on the budget (click here to view in chart form):
- The lawmakers who hold the cards will still get paid. Their staffers might be furloughed, though. That has prompted a few lawmakers to announceÂ they'll refuse shutdown pay,but even that has elicited critiques of political posturing.
- Roughly 800,000 federal workers won't get paid because they're considered nonessential and therefore, the first to be furloughed. That includes people who work in national parks because they'll be closed, ruining countless long family road trips. And it's not just the loss of income that hurts - for many, it's being labeled dispensable when they know their jobs are anything but nonessential.
- As the shutdown looms,Â some political leaders are taking the opportunity to fundraise and rally their supporters. The executive director of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out an appeal asking for a minimum $5 donation saying the organization wants to raise $100,000 in the next 36 hours.
- You'll still get your Social Security checks but don't expect anyone to be around to answer your questions about benefits. The people who take questions on Social Security and Medicare questions will not be at work and most government websites will shut down or have limited functionality.
- Various agencies with the Department of Health and Human Services will operate in a patchwork fashion. The National Institutes of Health will not acceptÂ new patients or start new clinical trials. The Food and Drug AdministrationÂ won't operate at full capacity but will have some inspectors on staff.Â As a result, all FDA inspections of food processing facilities and drug manufacturing plants will be prioritized by risk.
- Word is getting around that a government shutdown doesn't actually save taxpayers money. For one, it will cost the government money to ensure a smooth transition to a shutdown. Then there's the lost revenue from a variety of sources, from government services to gift shops in government-run attractions such as Yosemite National Park and DC's National Gallery of Art.
How would a government shutdown anger you?
If the government shuts down it will be the first time. If that happens ALL Congressmen and Women should be immediately recalled and replaced as they DO NOT SERVE the people that elected them. If only Secession wasn't illegal.
The chickens have finally come home to roost
I keep reading about the Border Patrol in these comments, but living in Tucson, Arizona, I am fully aware that beyond the posturing of the inexperienced, the only protection the Border Patrol truly does give is to skim about 15% off the number of incomers, weapons and drugs that come across. All of these commodities are available in abundance for any one seeking them, with little effect on cost. People are disappearing on the south side of town, all told from the gang wars in Mexico, and with little news coverage.
The token check points and token news reports make little real difference to the citizens North of the border. Just token actions of a inefficient agency to help quell a fear that politicians point out to us in order to divide us. If the Border Patrol was truly effective then the economy of Mexico would collapse for lack of the drug trade, and the US government can't have that, we need them to make us look better. Once upon a time, in a better world that may have never existed, there was a sense of reality in political discourse.
if these state parks shut down, so will the maintenance and upkeep. now im not stating at every park animals depend on humans, but who is going to stop people from poaching animals?
lara, some people do not make enough money to save for things like this. a single, working parent with three kids has to rely upon tips and little wages for food, and that's not enough for a family like that.people have loans and bills to pay along with trying to raise a family. not everyone has the proper finances to save for things like this, especially when there are other small emergencies that are more likely to pop up than something like this...
Our congress needs to stop being children and grow up! Fix this mess that they have started and compromise. If they don't, we all need to overthrow our government just like all the other f***** up countries overseas. I bet they're laughing at us now...shoes on the other foot. Smh
I received a phone call today from my grandson in the army. He returned from Iraq a few months ago. He was very sorry that he needed to ask me for a loan because the government notified the service men that they would not receive their full pay. Of course I agreed to help my grandson. It is very sad that a financial bill can not be passed in our government without the republicans using the aboration issue to hold hostage the needs of the majority of the American people. We the people are sick and tired of you, the government, not doing the job, we the people, pay you to do. Get off your high horse and step out of your ivory tower and work for the better of the people for a change.
My husband is currently deployed to Iraq. We have 3 small children, a mortgage, a car note, andany other bills. We live pay check to pay check and have mo savings. I am very worried about not receiving pay on the 15th, how am I going to feed my children? My bills are not just gonna go away, there will be late fees, penalties, etc that will just affect my credit report and family when we do finally get paid. The congress needs to grow up and learn to work together and compromise. Not everyone can agree on every issue, you win some, you lose some!
Have you tried calling the banks you have loans with and your utility companies? They may be able to postpone the required payments until your family gets paid. I know my payees are able to work with me, and it is a load off my mind.
I called Dominion Virginia Power and they said they are not willing to work with the military with payment issues. They said " it is like anyone else who loses a job". How the HELL is it that so? If it were any other job, you'd just look for a new job. No the Military have to continue to work without pay. You have a contract! So no its not like other jobs!!!!!
Sure wish that I could have had my face in the taxpayer's trough all these years. Those serving in the military and fighting in a useless war get no sympathy. They are just minions for morons and old men.
Every department of our local, county, state and federal government is just out to expand its' domain and draw more minions into its fold. It feeds on the taxpayers.
Yes, we need a government, but not like the monster it has become. Watch "Inside Job' for a good education.
Attention everyone: The government shut down is not a big surprise. In fact, it is actually part of a larger plan that has been in motion for many years. Imagine the United States without the "essential" federal government there supporting its citizens daily. Think about how 800,000 jobs being lost will impact the country. Families will be struggling to pay their bills, in desperate need of any sort of financial stability. Think about all of the military personnel serving their beloved country without a penny in return. We will be in a crisis, not knowing where to turn. Oh, but the government knows exactly what they are doing with this shut down. It is a perfect opportunity to seek "help" from other world leaders. What does this mean for us? It means we are one step closer to a one world government. One step closer to being controlled by the elite few, the ones who are addicted to the power, the pure greed that comes from being in control.
Really, I am willing to take a bullet for my country and they won't even pay me or take care of my family. While those who send me to war will still be paid...REALLY.
As a veteran, I find it very disturbing that there are those on this blog who would ask a soldier to have their pay disrupted just because you are frustrated with this government. For those of you are just this stupid to be reminded it took EIGHT years of incompetence to get to where we are today. I admit that Obama should not have indulged in Healthcare and should have more focused on jobs and a working budget, but keep things in perspective. To fault a soldier for simply doing what they are told is moronic!
This country is not free anymore. All this is Scaretactics. Two different sides trying to see who has the biggest penis. And the little man (us) with a thumb pressing down on our backs!
Shut it down! I am tired of the silly politics. Impeach Obama, then fire all of congress and the house. Time to start over!
I agree 100 % with you. Fire them all, let's show em who needs to be in charge.