Government shutdown: The upside
Protesters call for cuts in federal spending Wednesday on the steps of Capitol Hill.
April 8th, 2011

Government shutdown: The upside

We posted an item here on Thursday on 10 things that could ruin your day if the government shuts down.

Which got us wondering: Is there a silver lining to a shutdown?

Consider:

– Less traffic. Roads around federal office epicenters in every city would see a noticeable drop in motorists. That’s a good thing. A new study by the Environmental Health Perspectives highlights the link between traffic pollution and brain damage.

– You won’t get audited. While the tax filing deadline is still April 18, a federal shutdown means you can stave off the bean counters – people whose sole purpose is to get you to explain how that monthly Netflix subscription helps your home-based business - at least for a while.

– The White House gift shop will be closed. YIPPEE. You know that miniature flag-striped lapel that can pierce a small organ? We won't be seeing those or that commemorative snow globe your weekend-getaway co-worker erects at their cubicle. Freedom!

– More fish to catch. In Arkansas, anglers will be able to go all out. The Norfolk National Fish Hatchery will release two weeks worth of rainbow and brown trout.

“This would be the week to fish,” Craig Eaton, project leader at the hatchery, told CNN Friday. “We normally release 10 to 14 deliveries a week,” Eaton said. Each delivery contains about 29,000 fish, he said. Do the math. That's a boatload of fish. Can you say reel deal?

– Bankruptcy deferred. About to go bankrupt? Not after Friday. Federal bankruptcy court will be running largely in name only. The online filing system will be up and running but federal buildings will likely be closed.

– More electricity to go around. With average consumption larger than some states, Washington bureaucrats obviously don't know how to cut off the lights when they leave the office. A shutdown means less strain on the power grid.

Anything we forgot? What else can be considered an upside to the federal shutdown?

Post by:
Filed under: Budget • Economy • Finance
  1. tx boy

This never would've happened if W was still in office. I think we need some Texas boys to go to D.C. & WHOOP SOME ASS!!!!

April 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • adam

Really? Someone would still be explaining what a shutdown is to Mr. Bush. While the vice president told him what to do.

April 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob;

And what take the rest of the oil, the bush's only worried about the oil. and startin wars.Why don't the bush's give some of the millions that they got while in office and partners with Bin ladin's familly not to mention that thier great grandfather owned a nazi bank. So you really want to bring back what put our country in the termoil it is today lol yea thats what we need.Are you a bush????

April 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. J. Markus

This is the funniest thing that I've read all day! Thank you for writing this!!

April 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fed employee

I can't wait for an extended government shut down! I am 5'9" and weigh 325 pounds. The longer the shutdown goes on the more weight I will be able to lose because I can't afford to eat! I won't be able to pay for gas, so I will have to walk to work and this will add to my weight loss! YAY for the obstacles in getting a budget passed!! I can lose weight FINALLY!! LMAO

April 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Navyman

Thats ok tx boy we've already had enough BUSH, that's what got us here in the first place.

April 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. melvin

I thing that a big possible upside would be for all the fools who voted for the Teabaggers to really take a beating from this episode. All of the jealous people who are significantly supported by government paychecks or programs but are envious of others who they think are getting more. All of the small business owners who think they are paying too much in taxes, who will see their business go into the toilet when their customers see their incomes go into the toilet. All of those who can't connect the dots and realize they will be hurt when others in their community are hurt.

April 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. devon

that guy in the hat is actually george washington. we should listen to him

April 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BWA

To all you who agree with the goverment and to those who say "SHUT IT DOWN" and to those who have opinions seconding this motion that have never served, will never served, or are not currently serving. It is not about wether we have saved or not saved or whatever the case may be. The fact that these Government Officials are selfish enough to consider cutting our paychecks without considering to cut their own pay for the sake of America is the most unloyal unpatriotic act they could commit. I am in the Marines and one of the the 14 leadership traits is unselfishness. They are supposed to be our leaders and with that comes sacrifice

I remember one time when I was on a field opt and I forgot my sleeping system one time and it was really cold. My Corporal at the time, could have said "Oh well it Sucks to be you" but instead he sacrificed his sleeping system so that
    I could be at rest at Taps time. The next morning he asked me how I rested that night n I said "good". As I opted to apologize he cut me off and said "no apology needed, that's my job." I suffered no "ass chewing" as we call it, no repercussions whatsoever. That is True leadership.

Is that not the foundation that our founding fathers built this nation as well as it's military on? They are supposed to be world leaders and set examples for the rest of us to follow. They should be people who one day, when I have children, they can say "Wow...I wanna be like them one day" but as it looks right now, I would not want my child to even learn about them from text books.

The government is supposed to be a democracy but it is becoming a dictatorship. The way it is supposed to be is that WE, The Troops: Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Coast Guard, and yes, The Air Force too, work hard, through blood, sweat, tears, and believe me limbs and lives too, and the government pays us... and on time.

So, to all of you: You mean to tell ALL of us, to suck it up and stop complainin. Tell that to those who are losing limbs and lives.I have deployed before and I have been to many RAMP ceremonies. MARINES, PVTS, PFCS, LCPLS, most no older than 19-22, ALL, went home in boxes that day. TELL THAT TO THEIR MOTHERS, CHILDREN, WIVES. As if they are not suffering enough already. You're telling me that bloodshed is not enough sacrifice for this country. To ALL these ungrateful a** Motha F**ckas who do not know, will never know....if that 's not sacrifice....I can't imagine what is.

April 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Unknown

People seem madder not about getting half pay for one paycheck but if they dont reach an agreement how long would the half pay go... what if it lasts three months or four.... families cant survive off of savings for forever...

April 8, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Navyman

BWA I'm with you all the way there is no price thats too much to pay some of these young Men and Women. They put there life on the line everyday, They make it possible for you us to be able to speak our minds without being killed. All I can say is think about how you would feel if it was one of your children who was serving would they still be SLACKERS I dont think so!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Navyman

You think our Military don't deserve there pay? How about this the USS Kearsarge has been on deployment since OCTOBER have not made 1 port visit since then. They were on there way home but a little unrest in Libia and that home comming is on hold and they don't know for how long . Do you hear any complaining? no why because tha'ts there job and they do it without question. They deserve our support Give it up!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ITrecruitermom

I'm a single mother with a BS that totally changed careers 3 years ago when the economy went south. I now make over 100K a year and 50 percent of that is in commission. I have 25K saved up for a rainy day. I'm lucky to have a job, health insurance, a 401K, etc. I have one child, have no debt, and live within my means.I'm very lucky to have all of this, but not everyone is that blessed.I won't say I'm better, smarter, or anything negative, b/c it could all be taken away tomorrow. I just pray for a solution that everyone can live with.

April 8, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dusty

This is seriously the most asinine and ignorant excuse of journalism ever.

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean that EVERY story has to have a positive spin.

I'm very liberal and a happy go lucky person, but this is just sad.

April 8, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. whysguy

This whole thing is pretty funny because this budget is only going to last until September. In fact, by now they should have already started debating 2012's budget.

April 8, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. scottb

With the washington gift shop closed, you crying heart liberals would be with without a nest egg, now that would be a good thing!

April 9, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. A teenage observer

I really have to enjoy all those in the comments getting their panties in a bunch, unable to see this as obvious satire. Thanks for adding a highlight to my day, Craig~ Especially with the freak out of my American adults~~

April 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |