Japan eases restrictions on milk, spinach near nuclear plant
The Japanese government had ordered a halt to shipments of certain foods following abnormal radiation levels in products near the nuclear plant in Fukushima prefecture.
April 8th, 2011

Japan eases restrictions on milk, spinach near nuclear plant

Japan's government has lifted restrictions on vegetables and milk from some parts of the country's north after inspections found radiation levels below legal limits for three straight weeks, a top government official announced Friday.

The move lifts a ban on spinach and kakina, another leafy green vegetable, from Gunma Prefecture, southwest of the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. Milk from the Aizu area of Fukushima Prefecture, inland from the plant, will also be allowed for sale, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.

"The level of radiation has stayed low for last three samplings," Edano said.

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Japan
  1. Rum Dumb

Yea and I got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you.

April 8, 2011 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

"Milk from the Aizu area of Fukashima"...I guess they grow their own milk there. Where do they grow their synthetic blood?

April 8, 2011 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Or is it soy milk? I'd think soy would taste better with sushi than cow.

April 8, 2011 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Don't Fall For It

It take Millions of years to neutralize radioative nuclear waste. Don't fall for the hype.

April 8, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

There is a study from Princeton, out yesterday, indicating a possible link between ginger and miso soup in hastening the dissipation of radiation.

April 8, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. lv

Sounds like they are preaching to the zombies again. Don't listen. Wake up.

April 8, 2011 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. blogging?

I want to apologize to the Devil for my comments yesterday, I’m new at this and did not know that you can write almost anything on these blogs, again I’m sorry Satan and Lucifer, please accept my apologies and don’t be angry at me.

April 8, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lucifer

@blogging... there is no pardon for you, you messed up with the Devil

April 8, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. blogging?

that is NOT me above. it appears that the sick individual is still continuing this. he/she is playing sick, demented games. i've reported this person(s) and will continue to. from what happened yesterday, i am confident that the main person behind this is the one who has posted frequently in the past as "The Devil", "Satan" and "Lucifer" – how fitting. i am going to do everything in my power, professionally and legally, to get this individual stopped. i am very sick about this and also very angry. the wheels are in motion. this person has threatened me on other threads. death threats. he/she will be stopped.

@The Devil, Satan, Lucifer – you stated above (under my name) that "I’m new at this and did not know that you can write almost anything on these blogs". i would like to inform you that you are very wrong. when it comes to serious things, such as the death threats you made to me, it is entirely a different and serious matter. you may want to research that. the legal community (police, FBI) do not take these matters lightly. as i said before, the wheels are in motion.

April 8, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joel Raes

Wow.. I am shocked at this, really.

Joel Raes

April 8, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff Frank - R- Ohio

@blogger CNN already has a comment policy in place for everyone to either heed or ignor. Most people ignore me, cause of my type of humor or off topic comments. I also tend sum up everything and tend to be a show stopper at times. I did see your posting yesterday. People that are rude, obnoxious, just on here to see their name on a post, make defamatory comments about others, profane or othwerwise harassing people, I WILL NOT CONVERSE WITH THEM OR OTHERWISE KISS THEIR EVER LOVIN' ASSES. I were you, I wouldn't make an apology.

April 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JR

PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID SPINACH AS IT NATURALLY CONTAINS A LOT OF IRON. IRON COPPER AND OTHER METALS FOUND IN SOME FOODS AND VITAMINS WILL INCREASE THE ILL EFFECTS OF RADIATION AS THE IRON PICKS UP RADIATION from the iodine 131 that is the main culprit, Cesium and plutonium are also a major issue. However with higher levels of radiation in some areas around the site people in those areas should NOT be ingesting vitamins with metal supplements like Iron Copper selenium as the metals while nutritional will increase the risk of radiation exposure.
    Iron fortified breads, spinach and iron fortified vitamins should not be taken in the exposed areas north of Tokyo.
    Spinach also can lower ones immunity system and while it is not contaminated due to the iron it should not be eaten in the area where levels are higher than normal. However especially vitamins and fortified water and drinks are what people really need to avoid until they are in a safe area. Also avoid them before entering a high risk area and drink lots of water.

April 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

@Jeff the Frank..."show stopper"? Really? LMAO

April 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

The imposters using other peoples screen names are one thing...but those who go on and on, endlessly complaining...well, they only add to the damage done and cater to the ones originating it. Just an opinion based on, oh, about 17 years of seeing this scenario played-out online.

April 8, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

Hi, Philip. I agree totally!

As for the restrictions being lifted, I would soooo not eat this stuff for the next...never again!

April 8, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |