On the Radar: Budget showdown, Trump, Bonds trial, Libya, Japan
Federal employees demonstrate against a possible government shutdown outside a federal building Thursday in Chicago.
April 8th, 2011

On the Radar: Budget showdown, Trump, Bonds trial, Libya, Japan

Looming government shutdown - Congressional leaders of both parties are searching for common ground on a federal budget, working against a deadline of midnight ET Friday. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, and their aides spent another long night negotiating, including a meeting with President Barack Obama at the White House. If an agreement is not reached in time, many federal government facilities - including national parks - and some services will shut down until funding can be re-established.

Trump - Recent "birther" convert and potential presidential candidate Donald Trump is set to meet Friday with an Arizona state lawmaker who is sponsoring a bill to require any presidential candidate to prove he or she was born in the United States. Trump, a real-estate mogul and reality TV star, told NBC that he has dispatched a team of investigators to Hawaii to establish whether Obama was born there. CNN has debunked allegations surrounding the president's birthplace.

Libya - NATO conceded Friday it may have accidentally fired on Libyan rebel forces Thursday but refused to apologize. Former U.S. Rep. Curt Weldon is still in Libya, trying to arrange an audience with leader Moammar Gadhafi to discuss actions Gadhafi could take - primarily, giving up power - to end the conflict. Forces on the ground continue to fight for control of the strategically vital cities of Ajdabiya, al-Brega and Ras Lanuf.

Japan - Engineers are back at work at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant after evacuating the area Thursday because of a magnitude 7.1 aftershock. Three deaths and 140 injuries were blamed on the latest quake. Japan's government has lifted restrictions on vegetables from some parts of the country's north after inspections found radiation levels consistently below legal limits.

Barry Bonds - Jury deliberations continue Friday in the federal perjury trial of former baseball star Barry Bonds. The major-league home run record holder is charged with lying under oath when he testified before a grand jury in 2003 that was investigating alleged sports doping.

Ivory Coast - Defeated Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo was still hunkered down in the basement of his residence in Abidjan as soldiers loyal to him held off forces backing election winner Alassane Ouattara. "President Gbagbo needs to step aside," U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Thursday in Washington. "He has to cede power. This is his last chance. He has to mind the safety and prosperity of his people."

Post by:
Filed under: Budget • Ivory Coast • Japan • Libya • NATO • On the Radar
  1. blogging?

I want to apologize to the Devil for my comments yesterday, I’m new at this and did not know that you can write almost anything on these blogs, again I’m sorry Satan and Lucifer, please accept my apologies and don’t be angry at me.

April 8, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Blogger

You are one sick dude.

April 8, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • devilbloggger

You can apologize directly to me at bloggingsatan.com (www.bloggingsatan.com) I'm always glad to hear from my servants on earth.

April 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

I don't care whether Barry Bonds used steroids or not. He had to compete with everybody who did use them.
    It's reality.
    Look at the differences between 1940s baseball players' photographs and current players' physiques.
    Do you really think the difference is due to the FDA food pyramid or Pilates?

April 8, 2011 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. JAZZ

OMG your so right, they were stick thin back then , Now they look like hercules.

April 8, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Peter

Hey blogging, since when do we have to apologize to the devil? You are very funny man

April 8, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. Matt

I wonder if Donald Trump won't makea a better President than Barack Obama. The question is,will he work for us oe will he work for the MIC(military-industrial-complex) like obama now does? One thing is certain,he can't possibly do worse!!!

April 8, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dim Mak

Even fat slovenly Babe Ruth managed to set records, but I still think steroids should be taken seriously. There are players who don't use them and they get overshadowed by the ones who do. Instead of a truly great player coming around every ten years you've got a whole crop coming out at the same time. These cheaters end up making more $ and receive more adulation than the ones who don't juice. I still find baseball boring and would never watch it. You can get big by using legal supplements and actually working out. Donald Trump is a funny guy. I think he's trying to cater to the tea party and their paranoid conspiracy theory members. Shortly after Obama won the election Trump was on Fox News saying how he thought Obama was doing a great job and how he had confidence in him, now Donald wants to be president and all of a sudden he's a full blown conservative. I liked what he had to say about China and outsourcing a few years back, but would he actually end outsourcing as no other president thinks it's a big deal.

April 8, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. JAZZ

Dim Mak , why does your name sound familar?

April 8, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

Why does Congress allow meat and dairy farmers to process their products with steroids (illegal until 1994) but throw a hissy-fit if a few baseball players use them? Classic example of straining the gnat while gulping the camel.

April 8, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tony the Prophet

Donald Trump is not stupid man and much less going insane, his approach to Government scrutiny is to raise the issue of conspiracy, surprisingly the conspirators are the same as the conspiracy they commit, and the see I A is like starbucks and doughnuts.

April 8, 2011 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Dim Mak

@JAZZ: It means death touch in chinese or something. It was also a move in the movie Bloodsport.
    @Phillip: I've never bought any meat that contained hormones or steroids as it was clearly labeled on the package. If hypothetically a farmer was caught with tainted product they would be taken through the ringer. If that same farmer lied to a grand jury then they would be charged with perjury. Whenever I've been caught doing something wrong I've always just admitted it to the cops because I know they probably have some evidence to prove I was doing something wrong. All these celebrities think they can smile and weasel out of anything while people like us actually get punished for bad behavior. You can't allow a few people to lie to a grand jury and punish the rest who do. Mike Vick did 18 months for lying to the feds, not dog fighting. You are often on here complaining about double standards and right wing conspiracies, yet you condone letting criminals go in this country. It doesn't make sense. Justice for all or none, but not some.

April 8, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • JAZZ

Yes, that's where I know it from "Blood Sport" classic movie now.

April 8, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kim c

Donald Trump is fast becoming a laughing stock. He can now rub elbows with Palin and Beck. Yeah, you go Trump. HAHAHAHAHAHA

April 8, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

@Dim Mak...tthere's no need for meat and dairy farmers to lie about how they process foods. Thanks to the Meat and Dairy Farmers Association lobby, Congress flip-flopped and made what had always been illegal, (using dangerous drugs to fatten their cattle)...legal. MLBs head MD asked the Congress about this in live session, and was told "we aren't here to discuss that". Even if Barry used steroids, it didn't make your kids fat.

April 8, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. blogging?

that is NOT me above. it appears that the sick individual is still continuing this. he/she is playing sick, demented games. i've reported this person(s) and will continue to. from what happened yesterday, i am confident that the main person behind this is the one who has posted frequently in the past as "The Devil", "Satan" and "Lucifer" – how fitting. i am going to do everything in my power, professionally and legally, to get this individual stopped. i am very sick about this and also very angry. the wheels are in motion. this person has threatened me on other threads. death threats. he/she will be stopped.

@The Devil, Satan, Lucifer – you stated above (under my name) that "I’m new at this and did not know that you can write almost anything on these blogs". i would like to inform you that you are very wrong. when it comes to serious things, such as the death threats you made to me, it is entirely a different and serious matter. you may want to research that. the legal community (police, FBI) do not take these matters lightly. as i said before, the wheels are in motion.

April 8, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

@blogging...i've already been busy reporting abuse on him and his multiple other posts this morning. I won't stop until he's kicked off.

April 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Imafgine if Congress kept after ENRON for their heinous crimes like they do Barry Bonds for his misdemeanors (or lesser offenses). Imagine if Arnold Swarzeneggars first act as governoer would have been to drop any investigations into alledged steroid abuse rather than dropping california's 50 billion-dollar lawsuit vs. Enron. Giant corporations literally rip US off with government assistance, but if a ball player uses steroids there's hell to pay.

April 8, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dim Mak

@Phillip: Name some domestic farmers that you know of that use steroids or hormones, so the people reading this blog can avoid those products. I've worked with food for years and can tell you the local health departments do a very good job in regards to sanitation and freshness. Why should I believe the government is letting farmers get away with it? Please name the farmers and their distributors so I can keep my family safe. Thank you.

April 8, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |