Block party: Brazil builds world's tallest Lego tower
Former Brazilian footballer Cafu celebrates the construction of the world's tallest tower of lego bricks Saturday in Sao Paulo.
April 9th, 2011

Block party: Brazil builds world's tallest Lego tower

Move over Chile, Brazil has just finished building the world's largest Lego tower.

Standing at 31.19 meters the tower in the city of Sao Paulo breaks the previous record set in Santiago, Chile, in 2008 by 25 centimeters.

Brazilian former footballer Cafu was responsible for attaching the last piece of the tower, which was built in the parking lot of a shopping mall.

Lego sent  designers from Denmark to Brazil for the event, the company said on its website.

The tower took four days to build.

The first Lego tower was built in London in 1988 and stood just a little over 15 meters, according to Lego. Since then 53 cities have hosted the tower in more than 30 countries.

Post by:
Filed under: Brazil • Chile
  1. Philip

And I said "go to sleep", not go to bed. Just making sure my wires don't get crossed. (@Mmmmm...really? the blue ain't your doing?)

April 10, 2011 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

So my blue name is about the Matrix and the Architect just want me for my batteries...don't like crossing wires either...1608 thought I was coding him an offer but in reality I believed those buns was stale and old as in an elderly grandfather/mother...no offense 1608...love old people dont do 'em they are a hoot!

April 10, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dim Mak

@Ben: CNN does not do all their own photos, nor does most news organizations. They get photos from whatever local news source is there. It would cost tons of money to send news teams to every corner of the earth just to report on Legos. I wouldn't hold my breath for a computer rendering either.

April 10, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mmmmm

Banasy where's ya aristocratic a-zz at?!?!? Don't you facepalm me either...I want to write J-pan on this site without having to hit the lottery....who the hell I have ta marry in biotch?!?!?

April 10, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Alexfezz

I love Lego it was my fve toy as a kid... but... in an age where we are in deep poo and trying to use less of the unnecessary... was it really necessary to produce a mass of Plastic for something so pointless. No doubt, to feed someones ego as usual.

April 10, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzz

the Arts are the "building blocks" to imagination which leads to finding all sorts of solutions to our earths problems It has been proven that kids do much better in Science, Math and English, when Music is a part of our educational system. Legos, while it seems inconsequential is a form of art. It is art from which imagination is driven that leads to all sorts of solutions that has saved thousands of lives. Am I rambling?

April 10, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Drink some coffee it will slow you down...but back to back info on lego
      was interesting.

April 10, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzz

BTW, thank you so very much GOD for giving us music, I would certainly be incomplete without it.

April 10, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzz

Ok, I have a challenge for ya , use all of these in one post. LOL 🙂

April 10, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzz

ok, I have a challenge for ya, use all of these in one post. LOLOLOL 🙂

April 10, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • mirish55

I like how the second time you post this comment you added an extra 'OLOL' for extra emphasis! Can I use that in some future conversation? OLOL 🙂

April 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mmmmm

Is it just me??? Everytime the word lego is said Im thinking "let go my eggo!" is it legos or legoes...whattaya think grammar buffs?

April 10, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • bigmart

LEGO is the officail product name there is no S or or any other ending

April 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzz

Sorry folks I must have posted my response to Ralph on the wrong blog. Although I would be that vulgar with my words, I find it funny when others do. In a comical way. My post was meant for the "Serious Casualties" blog.

April 10, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

Hi Jazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...what! oh, excuse me. I nodded off. Use all of these what?

April 10, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. mirish55

Wow, what a conversation! I can't say I understand seventy-three percent of it but it is darned amusing. Does it have anything to do with my living in Canada? Niagara Falls to be exact. Probably don't have Legos here – most likely some ripoff copy like, Pegoes.

April 10, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

@Jazzzzzzz...were you orignally Jazz7? And do you use seven zees for any particular reason? lmao...I think that I answered my own question? help! he he

April 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Ummm, I hate to be the one to break it to ya (Jazz), but you are entertaining all of the time. It's just who you are, because we are all who we are, and are only entertaining from time to time. You are all of the time. Yer just thataway! Can I prove it? Can I place my hand on it? Nope! But it's there. And I am not the only one who sees this. You really help to make the N a cool place to hang out. 🙂

April 10, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. WeDoCare

Good Morning Folks!,

Unfortunately, there really isn't a effective way to having things keep on topic for the folks who want to engage, on topic, regarding these blog posts. The idea of using "OT" at the start of your post is a good idea. Also, Philip above @ 7:50am made a very good suggestion regarding setting up a separate "chatroom" for folks who want to go "OT". This is definitely being looked at as a possible alternative for folks to use.

Another thing to note, it has been our observation that multiple postings (under multiple screen names) are from one person, maybe two but we aren't sure yet. Again, unfortunately the way the system is setup, there is not currently a good way to stop this. Screen names, email addresses can be easily changed and screen names can also be easily highjacked.

The only suggestion, until we get a better system in place, is to use the "report abuse" button. We realize that may sound extreme but it is currently our only way to effectively assess the situation to create a better environment for all. However, as noted above regarding the ease of changing screen names etc., we realize that this won't help the situation much, as it currently is.

Personally, I suggest trying your best to ignore the "chatroom" folks, my current feeling is their intentions are not malicious. However, if there are situations with name calling, excessive vulgarity or other non appropriate responses, please do use the "report abuse" button. We want this to be an environment where people feel safe to share their opinions with respect for each other. Please try to "rise above" with offending replies even if you feel the comment you are replying too is offending. Just use the "report abuse" button and try to refrain from from lowering yourself to another's offensiveness.

Oh and btw, *facepalm* is a funny response but no one likes getting slapped in the face even in the cyber world. 😉

Carry on, there will peace when you are done.....

April 10, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |