Film director Sidney Lumet dies
Despite directing a string of American classic films, Sidney Lumet received only an honorary Oscar, in 2005.
April 9th, 2011

Film director Sidney Lumet dies

Sidney Lumet, director of the classic films "12 Angry Men," "Dog Day Afternoon" and "Network," died early Saturday of lymphoma, his family said. He was 86.

Lumet received Academy Award nominations for best director for all of those films, as well as "The Verdict," but never won one, according to the Internet Movie Database. He received a best-writing nomination for "Prince of the City." He was awarded an honorary Oscar in 2005.

"While the goal of all movies is to entertain, the kind of film in which I believe goes one step further. It compels the spectator to examine one facet or another of his own conscience. It stimulates thought and sets the mental juices flowing," Lumet once wrote, according to The New York Times.

Other notable films Lumet directed, according to imdb, include "Fail Safe," "The Group," "Murder on the Orient Express," "Serpico," "The Wiz," and "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Academy Awards • Movies • Obituary • Showbiz
  1. Karen onCape Cod

My sincere condolences to Mr. Lumet's family and friends. A wonderful and talented director who gave us some very classy films! Network alone was a major artistic accomplishment.

April 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. William

To this day, I still treasure my DVD of "The Verdict" through regular viewigs which apparently is a Lumet-directed hallmark. I especially enjoy the optional movie commentary by Sydney and Paul Newman with their insight and brilliant input in regards to the science of scene and camera influence. I also finally watched "Network" for the first time and was just as impressed. As evident with Verdict and the rest of the Lumet-directed movies listed above, we have lost a truly great director and translator of the human spirit. My condolences to his family.

April 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Katha Cato

he was one of the good ones. there will never be another one like him.

April 9, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Terry Cox

I watched 12 Angry Men again the other day. A great movie !

April 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brian

Rest in peace.

April 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ray gibbs

"...compels the spectator to examine one facet or another of his own conscience." why art (superbly done) is forever. poet's peace dear artist.

April 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Martha Clark

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. He was such an artist. Good lord...not even sure how to describe how much I love the film "Network". Condolences to his friends and family.

April 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jenny

Wow I was just talking about him yesterday and my acting teacher was saying how great his films were and how he's done over 90 films this is a really cool film if I may share it

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJGachsPnk&w=640&h=360]

April 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MGB

RIP

April 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kate Madison

Many years ago, "Dog Day Afternoon" was playing at our local theater, but it was in the winter. We had been without electricity or heat at home for several days due to an ice storm, so my parents and I decided to go to the movies. The theater let us in for half price, because the theater, too, was without heat, but they could show the movie. What a fond memory it became: the three of us, bundled and layered and "mittened," watching Al Pacino, John Cazale, and Chris Sarandon dealing with both the heat and The Heat. Thank you for that great memory, Mr. Lumet!

April 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. b. Slider

I am sad to see the extremely talented director pass away before he was able to fufill his life long dream of w directing ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER in a feature film.

April 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

My deepest sympathy to the family of Mr.Lumet. He will be missed.

Love his movies. Love, love, love his work.

April 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The clear Verdict

you know lately it is truly obvious that everything american related is obsolete including media companies and so called new indie music..a kind of progressive lameness unbroken by the sheltering of american youth egos. I guess every dog has their day.. Best Verdict I have ever seen that clearly has left the obvious signals of the truly obsolete. Its like an entire continent with progressive a.d.d... Amazing.

April 10, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joel Raes

Very saddend to hear about the loss of a great film icon.

Thanks,

Joel Raes

April 10, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

@The clear Verdict:

I guess I'm suffering from some sort of malady, because I have no idea what you just said. Care to clarify?

April 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |