April 9th, 2011

'Serious casualties' from blast at Nigerian voting station

A bomb blast ripped through a voting station in northeastern Nigeria Saturday evening, causing "serious casualties," a spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency said.

It was the third such explosion in the country since Friday.

Human Rights Watch estimates that at least 85 people have been killed in political violence in the run-up to the delayed national elections, being held over three days:  Saturday, April 16 and April 26.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Nigeria
  1. banasy

The world has, indeed, gone insane.
    My sympathy to the families of the poor people who were killed trying to make their country a better place. Three since yesterday. Jeez. *Facepalm*

April 9, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

Now I wouldn't be at all surprised if those idiots in Washington find some kind of lame excuse to get us into this war,too. It seems like they always do in one way or another and that's disgusting.

April 9, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Now that's one of the most sensible posts here yet. Thank you,RUFFNUTT.

April 9, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bdo

I wouldn't call them idiots but I wouldn't stand behind politicians either. None of them represent me or mine in other than a domestic capacity. Iraq was a pointless war with disinformation being pushed like cigarettes to American teenagers. When human rights are at stake we do something. Except where we don't apparently. These uprisings in Africa are the direct result of bad leadership and corruption. If you disagree with helping slaughtered innocents I hope your children end up on someones bumper. You would put your comforts in front of Nigerians lives.

April 10, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mobius007

This will tend to increase global oil prices, since Nigeria is a net oil exporter.

April 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Wilian

Wonderful people of Nigeria, I appreciate you. My feelings and good luck in this election and that everything runs smoothly. Seek Democracy and God Bless Nigeria and throughout Africa.

April 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dim Mak

@banasy: The world has always been insane, only now we have instant access to events as they happen. Earthquakes have always happened as have volcanoes. Violence has always existed as have the ways to murder increased in ease. Personally I feel this world sucks and I'm convinced we are all God's unwanted children as nothing is stopping the insanity, corruption, or evil. As usual Jesus is a no-show to stop these acts from happening, yet I'm expected to hand my soul over to him? That's laughable. Show me utopia and I'll show you my soul. I hope things get better for everyone.

April 9, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. conlib

And we care why? – other than the oil I mean

April 9, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

@con lib: because we as humans should show empathy to another's pain. It is clear you do not.
    @Dim Mak: I know. Sometimes I *would* to hide my head in the sand, but instant new slaps in the face every time. Just as instant Karma will slap those who need it...

And you know, darling Dim, I didn't bring up religion at all. But you weren't talking to me anyway, were you? Just addressing the whole blog, I assume. 😉

April 9, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Instant *news*, I meant.

April 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

Would *like* to hide, et al, I meant to say. Must be more exhausted than I thought.

April 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dim Mak

@banasy: No I was just making an observation. Religion has been used to murder millions and never is Super Jesus or Mighty Muhammad around to stop it. I find it curious to say the least. Just a general statement.

April 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jide Oniso

God bless our dear country, Nigeria!

April 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Inhisservice

@Dim Mak
    It is sad to read how you feel about religion. I pray that God (Jesus) reveals himself to you in a tangible and irresistable way. And I hope that he has mercy on you in the meantime. God Bless

April 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROFL!

There is no such thing as a 'god', lol.

April 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

@Dim Mak:that's what I thought. 😉 and I agree with you.

@ Inhisservice: a kind and merciful God smiles upon all, whether they believe in him or not. And that's not what he was talking about anyway. May God have mercy on your reading comprehension skills. Just saying. 🙂

April 9, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey

I'm about to go to sleep. I enjoyed reading all you said about religion above, and also what was said about God.
    Even if one believed in God, He would be hard to see.
    If anybody wants a glimpse of wh
    at God might look like, read banasy's kind post at 7:07 PM.
    That's a little bit of what I think God would look like.

April 9, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |