April 9th, 2011

'Serious casualties' from blast at Nigerian voting station

A bomb blast ripped through a voting station in northeastern Nigeria Saturday evening, causing "serious casualties," a spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency said.

It was the third such explosion in the country since Friday.

Human Rights Watch estimates that at least 85 people have been killed in political violence in the run-up to the delayed national elections, being held over three days:  Saturday, April 16 and April 26.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Nigeria
  1. YesWeDoCare

Oops again, @Philip above 7:50 am was meant for two threads above. But, as I previously said, a very good idea and suggestion!

April 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

@YesWeDoCare...yes, I believe you did mention that. (chatroom idea) Are we chatting now? he he...looks like that idea sprouted a long time ago. We're eating it's fruit right now! he he

April 10, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Smoking marijuanna is still a violation of federal law, no matter what your home state or doctor says. Even if you have a prescription or a license, the feds can at any time arrest you and confiscate your property legally, before there is even a trial. (Rico statute allows the feds to sell your property and use the funds to offset the costs of prosecuting you) Why anyone would want to register as a violator of federal law is beyond me. Do you really want to get stoned on weed that badly? You may have a drug-related problem. or three.

April 10, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The 3 Levels of *facepalm* by Yung Kim, Palm Master

Hand cover mouth. (technique works best defending against the outright repulsive remark) Hand on forehead. (often accompanied by oh brother) Jaw grab, one handed. (with or w/o a sigh) This comes in handy while holding a cup of coffee, as long as there's no gasping with coffee spewing out my nostrils after some jerk's crude post or when someone post's something outrageously funny early in the morning.(a rare treat) But that's level 3 stuff.

April 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The 3 Levels of *facepalm* by Yung Kim, Palm Master

Only banasy has reached level 4. (this level can only be attained when a rare sequence of events unfold, begining the previous day @ the beauty parlor. Yes, a literal bad hair day. I personally do not have enough hair to attain level 4 *facepalm*. I tried it once, but instead of ending up with a handful of hair, my scalp was bleeding.

April 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The 3 Levels of *facepalm* by Yung Kim, Palm Master

Psssst...and she does this from a library! Without drinking any mulled wine even. Truly amazing. (nah, trolls don't write this stuff)

April 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joel Raes

Just when people try to make life better, someone has to shoot that down.

Thanks,

Joel Raes

April 10, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kleptacus27

its really nice reading all d post here.am a full blooded Nigerian.what u broadcast outside aint whats happening here.first of all.Nigerians as i can deduce are more friendly n fun than any other country in da world.note:that i am not trying to brag here but u av to live here to av d feel.we endure pains alot. we gained independence some 50yrs back but evil is ruling us yet.tthey(the politicians)seems nice and cool on TV but deep down its just a game .we used and all d politicians here are damn corrupt n i bet they d most corrup people on earth.the youths r suffering from their ignorance.i dont see why i should vote for any fool.all they do is lie.imagine this.i only get 12 hrs of electricity in 48hrs.n d bill will still pile up.they bring it or not the bill will still be there to pay for.bad road.all we do is complain and hope on God.God will not perform a miracle on Nigerians.unless the whole politicians r wiped out.they r d corrupt people not the youths round.Naija 4 life,

April 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kleptacus27

and for those talking bout religion.u right to choose whatever u believe,but i believe in One God.am a christian.u muslim ,christian or buhhdihst,there is only one God.we are d fools one earth arguing bout God n who is the real God.we might serve him differently but he understands that man has choices n so is religion thus he hears n listen to us all cuz he loves us all.bt for those who dont believe there is God.actually d right word for me to use will be offensive but i rather keep cool cuz i dont knw how u wake up every morning and not reason u have a God.for those fighting cuz of religion,u shd all be fools,the ones i knw here are peaceful n we all live peacefully but saying u fighting in d name is God is just so lame cuz how can u fight for God when he contols everything.ignorance and illiteracy is d main reason behind religious war.face ur problems cuz God can take care of himself n still care for us.if u die fighting on religious war,believe me ,no matter what is been preached,u fighting for no God but for ur stupidity

April 10, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

*For those who will inevitably gripe about me being off topic, I will use OT when I’m about to do so. Feel free to skip my post. Carry on. Discuss.*

OT
    Hi, everybody!!!

@leeintulsa: yep, on the phone, but it *does* have something to do with the construction of the words, Ralph has a valid point. I posted jerk, Japan, and the other one to show that he is, in fact, wrong on some things. And *Facepalm* is exactly as you described it.

@Jazz: Oops. It *was* me. Read response to leeintulsa. Although I am so glad you're back, and I have your back too, love. 😉

@YesWeDoCare: Not really fooled by your pretending to be someone from CNN, but whatever. The fact that you think *Facepalm* is a cyber slap to someone's face tells me that. It's a slap to one's own forehead, as in "I can't believe that person just said that!"

Although you did give me an idea. Now if I ever wanted to cyber-slap somebody in the face, I will use the newly-patented *Palmcheeck*, but I really don't want to slap anyone in cyberspace. Oh, wait. *Palmcheek*. There you go.

April 10, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

OT

@Philip: My original and best GTG, thank you for your kind words. Know that they are reciprocated!

April 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. L64

@banasy
    Hahaha

April 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

OT

@L64: 🙂

April 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. L64

I think we should all sing a song...the eency weency spider went up the water spout!

April 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |