Gotta Watch: Japan, one month later
Hundreds of photos sit by the side of the road in the destroyed Japanese town of Minamisanriku.
April 11th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Japan, one month later

It's been a month since an earthquake and subsequent tsunami rocked Japan, leaving more than 27,000 people dead or missing. From decimated towns that are far from recovery to the delicate reminders of how life used to be, today's Gotta Watch focuses on life in Japan one month after the crisis began.

Anatomy of a ghost town – It looks like any other town, except for one thing. It's devoid of life. Earthquake and tsunami damage forced so many residents from their homes. All that's left are the subtle signs of a hasty retreats and elevated radiation levels.

Finding memories in post-disaster town – Japan's crisis has left an eerie mark on its towns and cities. Photos litter the streets of towns ravaged by the tsunami. They are small indications of what life was like before the disaster.

Japan's new normal – Many foreigners who lived in Japan before the disaster have yet to return. Those who do find rebuilding their lives very complicated.

Post by:
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Earthquake • Gotta Watch • Japan • Natural Disasters • Nuclear • Tsunami
  1. Joey

This extremely resilient people will recover and prosper with a surprisingly short period of time.
    We need to learn from what we will see happen om that small island.

April 11, 2011 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. kevin

Does anyone know what happened to the small dog that was chained up with no food in this video of Anatomy of a Ghost Town?

April 11, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Rohin

Yes, I'm also curious to know what has become of the lil dog??

April 11, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • pache

I agree. I could not understand why they didn't untie it so that at least it could forage for itself. Maybe they did, or maybe they did take it to safety.

April 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

seroiusly, i hope that dog was rescued. i honestly believe it's in a worse situation than the dog who was allowed to roam freely on a floating house in the middle of the ocean. of course, this dog receives very little attention from the news because it's not as spectacular as a floating house.

April 11, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

Come on folks, I'm sure the dog's owner is a whole lot more heartsick about having left it than you are!

April 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rikki

Just watched the news item myself and I have to wonder if the news crew let the dog off the chain? How painful for the owner's to watch and anyone else who had to leave their pets!

April 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenny Land

I was wondering the same thing and was horrified this was neglected in the story. At a minimum it should have been explained whether this man rescued the dog and if not noted that an animal rescue group had been notified. I am hoping the decency of humanity resuleted in one of these things – preferably the former. But the show's failure to report this part of the story makes it a little hard to believe in this humanity. I hope someone has the decency to do a follow up and ensure the dog has been rescued.

April 12, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • cathy

I pray they let it loose or called the Kansai Animal Refuge. I think the Humane Society is there also. please follow up with a story.

April 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Karma Worthington

I thought this went to CNN, this message...please someone help with this or tell me what to do or who to contact!!

April 11, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

The Red Cross would be one charity. There are a dozen others as well.

April 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. michelle

Please tell me that the poor dog that was found tied up to a pole in the ghost town was untied and taken to safety I am aware that the reporters gave him their lunch but I certainly hope they rescued the poor pup. How can we find out if he was rescued.

April 11, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

The dog was not without food and water for an entire month, were THAT the case, you'd see its spine. Seeing ribs on a dog is NORMAL, if you cannot make out the ribs on a short haired dog, it's overweight.
      We rescued a dog that was without food for a month, her spine was elevated two inches above her ribs. She could barely walk, trembling with the effort of staggering down the street.
      This dog was chained up outside of a building. Even money, the owner was either still nearby and hiding, as it IS A MANDATORY EVACUATION AREA or was out getting food and water.
      Because, one month without WATER, that dog would've been LONG dead.
      Nothing like hype, CNN. See the poor little doggie, its ribs are visible! Yes, that's normal, but think of the children!
      And the lot of you bought it. Hook, line and sinker.

April 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dj Pauly D

Not sure but i am very worried about the little dog

April 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Donna

Please, I was nearly in tears over that dog! Please, tell us someone went and rescued him, or put him out of his misery. I am distraught thinking he will be left to starve to death!

April 11, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. smicats

Do something about that dog your reporters found PLEASE!! There are rescue organization on the ground there. Some people above are idiots!

April 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey

Can you define that word?

April 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • pache

What word is it that you cannot understand?

April 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pleasant

They are extremely hardworking people. It is so unfair that nature played this cruel trick on them. http://www.iampleasant.com/

April 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Margaret

WHY was this poor dog chained up in the first place instead of given proper housing and proper care? That shows it had a TERRIBLE OWNER to begin with. How long does it take to unsnap it's chain and take their dog with them? Selfish, selfish, thoughtless people! That dog was their responsibility which THEY chose to take on. It just sickens me.

Why didn't those reporters at least unchain it? Giving it their dinner was nice, but will only prolong its misery...why didn't they unchain it and do something about its situation. Instead they just left it to continue suffering with no hope.

Why are photos being taken such great care to save and distribute while dogs like this one suffer? Photos don't suffer and it won't hurt people if they don't ever get their photos back.

I am just ILL about that poor terrified, starving, confused and helpless dog chained so it can't do anything, but faithfully wait for its owners....and NOONE CARES about it or to help it. It is a sad thing when photos are more important to a people than a life.

Can't anyone in that town be brave enough (since it's safe enough for reporters to go there) to help this poor, helpless creature?

April 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

For all that you and we all know, the owner was around the corner getting some food. Would YOU leave your dog wandering around a disaster area while I get food and water? Or would you chain it up until you return?
      WHY must people always assume facts not in evidence?

April 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Demowipper

Better yet why do you assume that a owner is bad for chaining there dog up in the back yard? Unlike western society most people don't pamper and coddle there animals like that and allow them to be a normal animal. I assume you are probably the type that dress your dog up in pink outfits...

April 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

Hey lady if your life is so lacking in drama why don't you get out of your chair and go rescue the poor doggie instead of wasting our time with your phony hysteria, hmm?

April 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Alan

What a disservice to the public by CNN, with a reporter accepting a photojournalists proclamation that Fukushima can be equated with Chernobyl. As long as the media continues the spread of misinformation and radiation mythology, they will ensure that more people will die as a result of increased use of fossil fuels (primarily coal).

April 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bruce

Seriously people? A DOG? Did you just gloss over the fact that THOUSANDS of PEOPLE lost their lives? Countless other relatives affected worldwide. Your distraught over 1 dog? Please read my next statement carefully. I love animals, and all of God's precious creatures. However, generations of families have been decimated by this disaster, and your more concerned about a DOG. Please people, put things in perspective. Cultural differences aside, people lost lives.

April 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bad Bruce Bad

Because the dog is still alive. How will letting it die, help the people that have already died?

April 13, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Margaret

Around the corner getting food? I highly doubt that! They left in such a hurry according to the video visuals. And no, I wouldn't leave my dog wandering around a disaster area, because I would have him WITH ME along with the rest of my family that was with me. My dogs would NEVER be chained up at ANY time. And no they are not wandering around loose either, they are properly taken care of...even more critical during a disaster, I would think!

And supposing the owner was around the corner getting your hypothetical food and water...WHY didn't that owner return for their dog knowing they were leaving and not returning for a long time, if ever (due to radioactivity)?

I know CNN along with the rest love sensationalism like this. Can CNN not find out if anyone has helped this poor dog, and I'm sure other dogs, instead of just worrying about ratings?

April 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Margaret

A life is a life. We are in such a mess worldwide because people don't care about other species or even other people. The fact that thousands of people lost their lives in no way diminishes the suffering felt by other animals, including people. How people treat other species and each other is a measure of them. Suffering is suffering no matter who is doing it and people with character and morals want to alleviate it.

April 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

So how about let's aleviate the HUMAN suffering first, and then worry about pets, OK?

April 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Margaret

That is already in progress...millions of dollars in aid and help are already activated (though it will be a long process) to help the people. I have not heard of much being done for animals. A few organizations are trying their best, but need more money and help I imagine due to the magnitude of the event. However, it still does not let that owner off the hook for doing their part since they took on responsibility for their animal.

We can argue this for ever. I am more interested in hearing what is being done to help and whether this poor dog, and others I'm sure, are getting assistance.

April 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. YesWeDoCare

@Bruce,

Agree!

I love animals and feel bad about this dog. But, as you said, thousands of people have lost their lives. And the folks who survived will never be the same again. The trauma they've endured, the loss of their livelihood, the loss of their homes/property – everything is gone. I think the dog will be ok folks. It's far much better to worry about these innocent people who have lost their lives.

James