Monday's live video events
April 11th, 2011

Monday's live video events

One budget battle appears to be over, but two more economic fights are coming to a head.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage of the economic conflict in Washington.

Today's programming highlights...

9:30 am ET - Wartime contracting hearing - The Commission on Wartime Contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan meets to discuss whether the federal government can learn from non-governmental organization in creating more effective and less costly federal contracting.

10:30 am ET - Clinton, Finland FM briefing - The conflict in Libya may be discussed when Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her Finnish counterpart speak with reporters.

12:00 pm ET - House takes up budget deal - A deal to fund the federal government for the rest of this year may have been reached late Friday night, but it still must be approved by Congress.  The House takes up the measure this afternoon.

12:30 pm ET - White House briefing - Government spending, the Libya conflict and the nuclear crisis in Japan top Jay Carney's agenda with the White House press corps.

4:00 pm ET - NASA budget hearing - NASA Administrator Charles Bolden discusses the agency's budget needs for next fiscal year when he testifies before a Senate appropriations subcommittee.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Afghanistan • Budget • Congress • District of Columbia • Dollars & Sense • Earthquake • Economy • Hillary Clinton • Iraq • Japan • Libya • Natural Disasters • On CNN.com today • Politics • Space • State Department • Tsunami • U.S. • World
  1. citizen

The nascent economic recovery has foundered on the shoal of class warfare.
    Record profits and compensation for CEOs have left corporations unwilling to pay a single penny in taxes.

April 11, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. citizen

The rich are delighted in the hunger and abject servitude of wage slaves toiling in demeaning, less then life sustaining jobs.

April 11, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. citizen

Let us examine our prospects based on PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES.
    Donald Trump
    Sahara Palin
    Barack Obama
    Please mull this over for some time then come to a conclusion.

April 11, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. cesar

I mulled it over. I choose Barack Obama for a 2nd term. Thank you

April 11, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Well,I'm not. Barack Obama has been nothing but a gigantic disappointment. I'd rather have Donald Trump. He can't possibly do a worse job!!!

April 11, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • R.S.

It would seem you have learned nothing as of yet? Denial can be difficult to overcome. Have hope, I overcame it rather quickly.

April 12, 2011 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

@ citizen:
    Obama.
    You didn't give us much of a choice.
    I read the comments preceding your ballot.
    I like the President's recent and pragmatic move toward the center.
    I think it's fine for CEOs to make fortunes: aspiration is good, and removing the possibility of great wealth destroys ambition.

April 11, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • gordig

you believe CEOSshould make billions whlie the country borrows from communist countrys in the end they will have to eat there money

April 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey

I also think that persons earning less that $ 250,000.00 should pay some tax.
    We all live here. We all went to school–most of us, anyway–and we all drive over the bridges, regardless of the supplier of the steel.

April 11, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey

I mentioned steel in anticipation of references to Ayn Rand.

April 11, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. YesWeDoCare

@citizen,

Love the comment about the rich and "wage slaves". So true, so true. In fact, it brought to mind Charlie Chaplin's last movie "Modern Times" in 1936. Obviously, the 30s was the Great Depression era and perhaps we are in the 2nd Great Depression era. "Modern Times' is such a appropriate name. Seventy years later that movie fits right in place to today. And it's a comical, satirical comment on the rich vs poor. Good stuff. Charlie was a genius for sure.

OT (Off topic):

@Cesar,

I liked your choice of Georgia songs in that other thread. But, in case you haven't seen it, I think the one I picked is even better. 😉

@banasy,

In case you show up on this thread. I left you a reply on on the "Lego" thread. Looks like it invoked the devil (for some strange reason), he's back........

James

April 11, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

@YesWeDoCare

2nd Great Depression? HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA that's a joke... we are no where NEAR a 2nd great depression. Yes the economy is horrible right now, but not nearly as bad as then... you are brainwashed by the media and their fear-driven exaggerations

April 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. YesWeDoCare

and the "he's back" is a huge ;-(

April 11, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mary Swanson

I don't know how to respond the this the us goverment needs reformation they clearly don't know how to manage it if its broke fix it before it falls apart

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJGachsPnk&w=640&h=360]

April 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Russell Dusablon

Regarding the budget debate if they really want to balance the budget our fat cat politicians should all take a 50% pay cut. They shouldn't be getting their 5 star health plans from the people, they should have to go into the private sector and pay their way. A two term limit should be for all poiticians if it takes them more than 1 term to learn the job they shouldn't be serving us.
    The president only can stay in office two terms. I also believe that first term politicians should have to work a minimum wage for the first year so they can see what it like for poor less talk and more action.

Russell

April 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • YesWeDoCare

@Russell,

Excellent comment and agree 100%! And I will add that it's not only those politicians but also the greedy fat cat big corporation executives. The blue collar working class keeps getting pushed down deeper and deeper. Even folks who have college degrees and twenty years of experience are being forced to work for minimum wage. It's a sickening situation to say the least.

I love the idea of having a first term politician work at minimum wage. Amen to that!

James

April 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey

"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."
    A single period in one of the comments above would contribute to our country's prosperity.

April 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Yousef Bin Azri

@Russell, I don't agree with you, the politicians have to take a lot of crap from you Americans, you are lucky to have them, in my country no one works for the people and goverments do what they want. @YesWeDo. You don't have an idea of how the world works, I believe you never had a bad financial period, for us is very hard and we can barely make to the end of the month, you are a lucky person and you complain, what an hypocrite you are.

April 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. YesWeDoCare

@Yousef,

Relax. I was employed for 15 years at a large corporation, making decent pay. I have a degree in engineering. I was laid of two years ago due to the economic climate and mainly because the company chose to outsource to increase profits. For two years now, I have also been living month to month, sometimes day to day. I can't find work in my field. Anyone that is hiring wants someone fresh out of college or someone with less experience. That way, they can get two for one, so to speak. Times are very hard everywhere. People are suffering.

Yes, I was complaining because I see good, honest, hard working people suffer because the rich want to get richer. It's easy for people on the outside to criticize the U.S. as "lucky" or "greedy" or whatever. I do understand your plight. But making generalizations about the US and people suffering under a poor economic climate created by wealthy bureaucrats is not right. I walk in your shoes and you walk in mine.

Peace

James

April 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lucifer

@YesWeDo... Do not address banasy anymore, you are making her answer to your stupid comments, you are very fresh and arrogant, prepare for war if you continue to harass banasy, get it?

April 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • guestmaster

CNN PRIVACY STATEMENT

Information Sharing and Disclosure

We may disclose personally identifiable information in response to legal process, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. We also may disclose such information in response to a law enforcement agency's request, or where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our terms of use, to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our sites and applicable laws or as otherwise required or permitted by law or consistent with legal requirements.

April 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |