NBA fines Kobe Bryant $100,000 for 'offensive' comments
April 13th, 2011

NBA fines Kobe Bryant $100,000 for 'offensive' comments

The National Basketball Association fined Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers $100,000 on Wednesday for "offensive and inexcusable" comments he made during Tuesday night's game, the league said in a statement.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Basketball • Sports
  1. Ron C.

It would be nice if you wrote WHAT HE SAID.

April 13, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ken

$100,000? For Kobe, that's just dinner & a movie

April 13, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. maoling

I wish someone would fine David Stern for his offensive and inexcusable actions as NBA commisioner.

April 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric Portland

I'm pretty sure if I called one of my coworkers a f&^ing f&gg@t I wouldn't be getting any kind of fine. I would probable be out of a job. Who does this fine go to anyway? I think it should go back to the fans of that game that have to watch that arrogant doosh bag Kobe mouth off to the refs.

April 13, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Kobe just needs a tax write-off, remember it is tax time and this $100,000 will help him out just a tiny bit.

April 13, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TPF

At least Kobe called it as he sees it, if only the ref could see it. $100,000 give me a break, is that supposed to clean up the NBA. The fine was excessive and the ref is what he is. Who cares what he said, did the ref get his or her feelings hurt?

April 13, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chillipepper

100,000 dollars is alot of money. Even if you're KOBE for saying something in the heat of anger. We used to say that all the time for a insult,along with alot other names along wth it. without alot of thought into it it was just one of many insults to thow out. I'm sure KOBE wasn't bashing gays. kobe was just mad as hell and using what people use to say all the time before PC. 100,000 is a good fine for what was said lets not overreact with PC. It was used in anger and not planned

April 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric Portland

You say 100,000 is a lot of money. He makes what 20mil. 100,000 is .005%. I make 80,000. My equivalent fine would be $400. $100,000 is not a lot of money to Kobe Bryant.

April 13, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Obviously you're not gay or you would see how that term is obnoxious no matter if it's directed to someone who is gay. That's like going around a black person and using the n-word as an insult and then trying to tell them "But it wasn't directed at you".

April 13, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Richard

Whats wrong with what he said? Some people are just too touchy touchy. He should not be fined one red cent!

April 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

You're not very well educated, are you, much less anything but a coward.

April 13, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul http://www.youtube.com/ny007ny

I totally agree. Since no one is offended by language all the ref had to do was call him a N*gger and it would have been fine.

April 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sean

Kobe Bryant has been out of control from day one. Because of his obvious talent, we've looked the other way. I do my best to not watch any shows or games he's in. Obviously, I'm not a Lakers fan anyway!

April 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paul http://www.youtube.com/ny007ny

Wouldn't it has been cheaper for him just to buy them all diamond rings like he is used to?

April 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Big Game James

Jordan wins!

April 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Migs

How much did Rex Ryan get fined for simply flipping the bird on his own time?

I'm waiting for the oh so classic "it's cause he's black y0"

He's calling an NBA official a derogartory name in an acutal telivised game.

April 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sam

it costs $100,000.... to run my mouth for twelve seconds....

April 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kenny

Here's the clip

April 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. wow

Say goodbye to free speech in America. Our government can now oppress free speech using private organizations as proxies.

April 13, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

How is this a free speech issue? He was on the JOB and anyone would get fired for saying that in their work place. Grow a f'n brain.

April 13, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |