Overheard on CNN.com: Readers weigh in on U.S. financial future
President Obama is proposing $4 trillion in deficit cuts.
April 13th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Readers weigh in on U.S. financial future

Comment of the day: "How does one get out of trillions in debt? It's not that he's not serious, it's that the task is impossible." -lena73

President Obama lays out long-term plan

After reaching a budget deal with Republicans last week, President Barack Obama outlined his plan for reducing long-term deficits and the national debt in a speech at The George Washington University on Wednesday. His plan will reduce the federal deficit by $4 trillion in 12 years.

CNN.com readers reacted to his plan:

bexers24 said, "You know, I think it's absolutely wonderful that he's tackling the taxes for the rich. I am one of those people who is poor and I struggle through life, living paycheck to paycheck. If I were one of the super rich, I would WANT to give back to those who need the help."

roaringtiger said, "As an independent, I feel this is a good plan This is the most balanced approach that won't put our country in a drawn out depression while making cuts AND some moderate tax increases. This is exactly what the Bipartisan committee proposed."

smartdem said, "This was simply brilliant. The president reminded the country of the history that lead to this deficit (namely George Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy), then explained why the Ryan plan would be disastrous to the country. He then laid down the gauntlet on increases on the wealthy. Put simply, you cannot ask 33 seniors to pay for each millionaire’s tax cut. Brilliant."

BubBee said, "He never mentioned curbing the costs of illegals, pay cuts of congress and elected officials or cuts in the size of government which has grown at a rapid pace. A 20 percent cut in all 3 would save us billions a year right now."

357fixer said, "Hi, I just graduated 5th grade and I need help on a math problem. If we run a $1.5 trillion deficit each year for the next 12 years, but only cut $4 trillion in spending in the same timeframe, then won't the national debt still increase by $10 trillion?"

JoeinUSA said, "Less talk, more action. I’m tired of hearing about plans to set up this committee and that committee.... proposals to do this and do that. As Larry the Cable Guy would say "Git r dun."

Big cuts for high speed

The high-speed rail system was one of the hardest hit federal programs last week–funding was reduced by more than $2.9 billion, basically leaving the project without any funding for 2011. Critics of the system say it's too expensive; supporters say it would create jobs and boost the economy and CNN.com reader comments largely fell into one of the two categories.

Thinkpad said, "I see the oil and auto lobby smiling all the way to the bank."

aorist said, "How about ANY rail service. Most of this country has no passenger rail service at all. I lived in Germany for a year when I was in the Army and was amazed by the efficiency of their passenger trains."

Digipixel said, "There is a old Chinese proverb that says the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The same can be said of a high-speed rail system. With gasoline approaching $4/gal, and predicted to go even high, would someone please, please, please save me from my own automobile!"

TK1957 said, "Compared to the parts of the world that have adopted high speed rail - we still have cheap gas! Kill these projects until we are ready (and until we can afford them)."

RalphinFL said, "The European bullet trains are highly subsidized and the only reason the Japanese trains show a profit is creative accounting by writing off the construction costs. We cannot afford another white elephant, even one that runs really fast."

xdougx said, "How about improving the low-speed rail first? Has anyone here ridden NJ Transit! The most god awful public transportation in the world!"

Are Americans willing to compromise?

The art of balancing the budget comes down to compromise, or, as President Obama words it "a shared responsibility to restore fiscal responsibility." In a CNN story that compares some of the more than $61 billion Republican proposed cuts with what was really cut, we received comments from CNN.com readers about the country's ability to compromise.

Guest said, "How about we get the red states to help out a little more? 21 of 22 McCain states (see TaxFoundation) take more from the federal government than they give. Why is it OK that New Jersey gets sixty cents back for every federal tax dollar contributed, and Alaska and Mississippi get back almost two dollars?'

Santex said, "I am willing to accept a $30 increase in my Medicare premiums and an additional two year freeze on SS benefits. What are you willing to put up? We are all in this together regardless of how we got here.” GQPublic responsed, "Until they control spending and get rid of waste, I am not willing to give another cent, period."

topherbc said, "As a part of the middle-class I don't mind some sacrifice for my country. But the wealthy, who have, in the last 30 years, disproportionately amassed so much of the wealth, should cough up said sacrifices: lump sum onetime tax, removed tax cuts, increased tax rates on future earnings."

FlyBD5 said, "Excuse me, but "raising the taxes on the rich" is a lie. What is being asked for is that the taxes on the rich be returned to the rates they were paying before Reagan slashed them and caused the country to enter the vicious circle spiral it is in."

1. Joey

When the super-rich pay taxes, they are not "giving back" something they did not earn themselves.
    They are not thieves: they are successful.
    All of us should pay some taxes.

April 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joan Wheeler

All of us DO pay taxes; it's just that the very rich do not pay a fair share. Some corporations get away with paying no taxes at all. As a result, the economy is out of balance.

April 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brom

Not everyone can afford tax lawyers to find every loophole that will allow a $14B profit, and $0 in taxes. Then again, if the regulations were not there that made it lucrative to send jobs overseas...

April 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@Ted: What color is the sky in your world?

April 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Tuggle

I have no issue with the rich who worked hard and earned alot of money .....my issue is with the sleazy politicians who with the stroke of a pen; or an outright lie, can reduce those benefits for which I worked and paid into all of my working life. Then they come back and tell me that I must pay taxes on my SS Disability now that I have reached retirement age.
      Funny, when they took my money all those years they never mentioned that they would be stealing it back from me in my old age

April 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • S1N

Agreed. It is laughable that I can receive a $2000 tax refund while paying absolutely no taxes to the IRS whatsoever (independent contractors don't pay payroll taxes until they file). This is using real numbers with a standard deduction, a valid education tax credit, and the child tax credit. The disturbing part is that I know from experience a LOT of people receive much more than they put in.

NO ONE should be receiving more than they paid in taxes back. While you may be able to have a $0 tax liability, how is it justifiable to have a negative tax liability? For those that do pay taxes, the tax brackets need to have higher taxes, especially at the top. Let's face it. 70% of $250K still leaves a lot more disposable income than 92% of $60K. If you have a higher level of income, and have little disposable income, that is your fault for spending too much and garnering too much personal debt. THAT is not the government's problem to deal with.

April 13, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

Everyone talks about taxing future earnings. Why don't we tax past earnings in the form of a tax on assets. This would then tax people who have done well in our country and level the playing field for those who need to catch up. Why do taxes have to be on future earnings?

April 13, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • joyce

what is being asked here is to simply go back to the taxes during the clinton years, the budget during those years. that means from 35% to 39% taxes, that's not a lot, that's a drop in the bucket to them. and guess what, clinton ended his presidency with a SURPLUS of 5 trillion plus! the debate was how to spend it properly – not how to cut education and basic human services. this is not a punishment to the upper 1%. and yes, not everyone is rich, this does not mean they didn't make the right decisions in life. most are in the middle class. strengthen the middle class and you strengthen the country. everyone wins. why can't you republicans see that? the trickle down theory did not and will not work. make the middle class strong and the country will be strong!

April 13, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • obama2012

Hey we could soak the rich, and then get rid of waste, fraud and abuse, and presto-chango the budget would be balanced. What a brilliant idea! But isn't that what I ran on two years ago? Ah, these people have such short memories, we can fool 'em again. I just need to fool 'em one more time, then I can go back to being one of those evil millionaires and billionaires. Here's to the divisive politics of envy! You really can fool all of the people all of the time!! hahaha

April 14, 2011 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • TOOPOORTOPAYMORE

If the super-rich 2% control & have 98% of the money, then the super-rich should be covering 98% of the tax bill in this country.

April 14, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian in Michigan

Great.

If they didn't need this great nation to earn their fortune, drop them into Tora Bora and have them negotiate a better deal with Osama bin Laden.

April 14, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
    • ron

You can NOT tax the rich. You can make yourself feel good by taking more money from them. But in the end, they just look at that as increased operating expenses. Then they lower your wages and raise the prices of their products. I run a business, this is what I do. Tax me more, go ahead, I'll just stagnate your wages and raise prices some more. Sure you can go down the street and work for the next guy. You see, since it's govt. doing it, it's an expense that we ALL incure, so he's not going to pay you any better than I am. NEXT....

April 14, 2011 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
    • James Swartz

In response to Joan Wheeler, the top 25% of earners pay the majority of income taxes (85% of income tax revenue according to '04 IRS numbers). The majority of the bottom 50% may pay taxes on their paycheck but qualify for enought credits or deductions they end up paying either nothing or getting money from the government. If someone pays $5000 over the year in tax and files their tax return and receives $5000, or in some cases more, then they have done what everyone accuses corporations of doing. Is the right answer to have high income earners pay 100% of the tax share? I, personally, don't think I should subsidize other people or their children unless 1) I get some input into their life decisions or 2) it's out of my own charitable giving.

The views expressed in this blog/comment are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government.

April 14, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • NAMELESS

I love the talk of budgets and super rich stealing money from the "working class" or Blue collar people. I have one example for those who love the working class to ponder, if I give 100,000 to someone who makes enough to qualify welfare typically they stimulate the economy by making poor life decisions and running through the money like water. IF that same money is given to a successful buisnessman, an employee may be hired, and the buisness may be expanded, thus having construction employees work and the effects may be felt on down the line. We in the "working class" are so quick to complain about the haves, when the haves were at one time have nots, who created their wealth. Most of the time successful people produce jobs, if we keep pushing people like TRUMP, OPRAH, JOBS, GATES to pay for more and more of our tax burden then they will seize up their employment. How do we no see that when these people sneeze, jobs can be created in a heart beat. When I sneeze money, I maybe just paid for groceries. I love the solution, make them pay more, Okay how about they pay more if our Congress and President pass a blananced budget ammendment and it has to be within the same fiscal year. Yes lets lecture successful buisnessmen and women about their burden when our congress and president have no clue on how to stop spending......I bet Trump has taken a hard look because he is saying what we are all saying, I can do it better than these idiots! While I don't think he is presidential, I bet our debt woes may be eliminated with him in 4 years. Yes he would cause pain, but he has the stones to say, YOUR FIRED! and while I may not like his decisions, we won't be treated like children and just fed a garbage line that is polling the best at this point in time.

April 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jojo

To secularist's, unbeleivers & all alike: if christ has not been raised from the dead, then WE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL NO ONE EXCLUDED. but, CHRSIT HAS BEEN RISEN & ONLY THOSE TRUELY (COVERTED BY CHRIST ) ARE NOT GOING TO HELL EVER!! OUR SINS ARE FORGIVEN, BUT YOURS ARE NOT, YOU NEED CHRIST. PRAISE GOD!!!!!! All of your faiths & beleifs are wrong & useless, so are all the other religions out there, if christ wasn't risen. 1 corinthians 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, [and] become the firstfruits of them that slept. slept means (those who died with their faith in Christ)

April 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • just my thoughts

The only reason Obama is taxing the rich is because there is more middle class and poor voters for next election “ so why not”. I think he should reopen all those factories that were shut down and sent over seas and start manufacturing American made products and selling them not just to Americans, but to other countries as well. Plus I think we should start to use our own recourses, like oil, corn fuel, and coal, either too sell to other countries or for Americans. Screw the environmentalist, because the fact is with the revenue that we can bring in from natural resources and manufacturing our own supplies Americans can hire more and smarter scientist too reduce pollution or whatever, plus Americans can pay off china and those other countries that are buying bonds from us and finale get back to our throne as the most power nation.

April 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NC Jim

Only in Washington can an increase in the deficit and NEVER balancing the budget be called a solution.

After 12 years we will still be ADDing to the deficit since this 4 trillion reduction is based off the prior projection.

How stupid do they think we are/

April 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Millie Mouer

They think we are morons and some are. those who do not vote should not complain.

April 13, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

The absolute value of the national debt has been increasing since WWII.

What's important is debt as a percentage of GDP. If GDP rises faster than debt, we're making progress. Either of these plans (cutting ~$4 trillion in next 10 years) do that.

April 14, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. NC Jim

I agree that taxes need to go up BUT only if they have a balanced budget in the next 4 years which means spending cuts as well (and yes real republicans will accept defense cuts).

After that you have all new players who will not feel bound by prior promises.

April 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Matamoros

Obama – the clown who never even successfully ran a lemonade stand is driving the country right into the ground. Using the same methods that Democrats used to destroy Detroit – once America's richest city and home to the world's richest industry.

Send this illegal alien packing back to Kenya where he belongs.

April 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joan Wheeler

You are so misinformed it boggles the mind. Are YOU a citizen? It's the republicans who 'ran the country into the ground.' The democrats did not 'destroy' Detroit. The car makers made a bad product - topped that off with the Hummer, the biggest gas-guzzler of all time - and the 'marketplace' turned towards foreign cars.

April 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Millie Mouer

Obama is an American citizen born in Hawaii. So get off of that. I do believe that the illegals should go back to their country and fix their country. We should not be giving them medicaid, cash assistance, education and so on.

April 13, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gutierrez

Matamoros?

Isn't that a latino name? from one latino to another: when you curse Obama for being an alien, you are cursing your own family who emigrated to this great country. THINK before spitting to the sky.

April 13, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

The key word in his comment was ILLEGAL. All of us are immigrants or aliens unless our ancesters were native Americans. technically, they are aliens as well since their ancesters emigrated from siberia over the bearing straight, but i digress.

April 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • jennifer

whatever.....how old are you???
      Not one person I know under 50 is a basher like you tea drinkers...we are all middle class americans of all different political backgrounds that are voting for Obama 2012!!!
      The ultra conservatives have destroyed their own parties by thinking everyone agrees with their line of thinking..Good luck with running that dude that has filed bankruptcy twice and has a squirrel on his head or what was that chicks name ..susy palin??

Obama 2012!!!

April 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki Nicole

Send your clown acting ass back where you came from.......give the man a chance.

April 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joan Wheeler

It's time for Obama to do what he was elected to do!!! He needs to stand up and stand strong for the People and do the right thing. He must not let those greedy republicans have their way any longer. Their way is to suck all the money out of the country for themselves and let the rest of us go to hell. That is the wrong way!

April 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brom

Problem is that it's BOTH sides that are responsible. To say that the Republican cuts are draconian and extreme after the Democrats went on a spending spree that rivaled a drunken sailor is ludicrous. Part of the problem that we have is that there's TOO much fuzzy math involved with the budget. You want to help the economy, slash the spending and bring back the jobs. Oh wait...that's way too difficult because kids will die overseas, and grandma and grandpa will be eating cat food. Got news for ya...It's already happening...

April 13, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Brom, what's this spending spree I keep hearing about?
      Bailouts? No- that was Bush, and almost all that money gets paid back.
      Healthcare? No- that reduces the deficit.
      Stimulus? Yes- a one-time expenditure in the midst of the worst recession since the Great Depression.

That's it? That is absolute pennies compared to the "spending spree" Bush went on- two wars, Medicare part D, and tax cuts. NONE of it paid for.

Republicans talk big on fiscal responsibility, and repeat the mantra of "tax and spend Democrats". History shows a different story.

April 14, 2011 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. J. Pele

Why don't the rich want to pay more taxes? Don't they already have enough money, don't they want to give back to the great country that helped them get and stay rich, don't they feel compassion for the needy? They have become a class of greedy, self-indulgent people who don't know or care about their supposed Judeo-Christian charity.

April 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Jesus said to care for widows and orphans. he did not say support your neighbor. He also said -If a man will not work, do not let him eat- yet we pay for 99 weeks of unemployment to a man who will not work. If you understood christian values, you would not be covetous of your neighbors wealth.

April 13, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curt

LoL, Breaking News! Jesus has returned and says we should eliminate all social programs to poor and elderly, continue manufacturing more wars, and cut taxes for millionaires and billionaires. Yeah right.

April 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

In Jesus day, families took care of their parents, the state didn't.

April 13, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • gobnait

Does the money you earn belong to you or the government? Does the government exist to serve you or vice versa? Go peddle that statist dreck elsewhere.

April 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian in Michigan

Jesus also said, in regard to taxes, "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar and give unto the Lord what is his."

He also said, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to pass through the gates of heaven."

And in Luke, "Take care! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; for one's life does not consist in the abundance of possessions."

Jesus was never an advocate of avarice, sloth and gluttony.To promote the word of God as an endorsement of overwhelming greed is to take his name in vain and bear false witness against his word. I don't think a lot of prayer is going to save you from those sins.

April 14, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • image42k

Jesus? You mean that character from a work of fiction commonly known as the bible?

April 14, 2011 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Scott

In "Jesus' day" people commonly DIED IN THE STREET BECAUSE THEIR FAMILY COULDN'T take care of them. This is your model for American progress?? Going 2,000 years backward???

April 14, 2011 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Millie Mouer

I met seniors that only got 500.00 dollars per month. I know seniors that only getting 300.00 per month. And you want to have them go out and shop for the best insurance. I just did that for my husband and got so confused!

Have any of you read all the insurance plans out there for seniors. They are being taken advantage of. Can any one of you figure out the tax codes? Why are worried about the rich? They are the ones hiring tax lawyers to find out the loop holes to not pay taxes. I would gladly give the tax credits we get for our interest on our mortgage to have a fair tax system. Don't take from our seniors.

April 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Richard

🙂 What!!?? You let companies like GE not pay tax, but you want "wealthy" INDIVIDUALS to pay tax????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? On top of that, letting GE CEO to serve on Economic Advisory Board??

April 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff Frank - (R-Ohio)

Four dollar gas IS here. Don't buy gas on Fridays. Million dollar perks and bonuses. Can you really afford to give in to speculators. People give in to price hikes every time petroleum companies analyze a debit or credit history left at the pump. They "know" how much you spend all year, and when you spend the most. Your increase of a mere 3 cents on Friday along with millions of other customers, means windfall profits. So whose stimulating your personal income? They aren't.

April 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey

When I go to a restaurant with friends and know that I may have more cash with me than they do at that time, I readily spring for the check.
    I'm sure that the super-rich don't mind paying more in taxes than others pay.
    However, there is no reason that they should pay everything for everybody.

April 13, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzz

Agreed, That statement alone says it all. Good job:)

April 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff Frank - (R-Ohio)

I hope I live another 12 years, to see all of this unfold. I hope it's not riff-raff. All I know is that if you have no private sector, you essentialy have no government ! 😉

April 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Irony

I say tax the rich! They are what's wrong with this country!! Once we have no more rich in this country we will have no more problems!!! Everyone will then be poor and happy like me!!!!

April 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curt

Like in the Clinton era, right?

April 13, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Irony

Yup! 'cause everything else is the same – only the president matters!! Whoever prez is controls economy for sure!!! Obama only making it look like we have no money so he can get enough political credit to fix health care!!! Once greedy rich people pay their fair share (like $2 billion each or something) then we'll be back in the good times like Clinton!

April 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Matt

Just a thought for those that believe the "rich" need to pay more. take a few minutes and look at the IRS.gov website. There is infoermation about how much in taxes are already paid by the "rich". Truth is, they already pay the lions share of the taxes collected in this country. Instead of continuing to punish the achievers in our society, it is time to demand more from the non-achievers in society. basically, if you want a better life, go earn it.

April 13, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curt

Oh, poor poor rich people. If there tax cuts expire they might not be able to buy that 3rd home in the Hamptons.

April 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Curt – If they can't buy thathome who does it hurt? the real estate broker who would have sold it to them, the local business that they would buy from, the ferry boats or the marina where their boats would be serviced, the local cleaning service, the contractors who build the houses and perform the maintenance, the landscaping company, the local communty would suffer a loss in tax revenue from the spending. Now chances are, most of those people wouldn't be "rich" and would BENEFIT from a rich person owning a home.

Which is better? have the govt take their money and then start programs for all those people out of work, or let EVERYONE keep more of their money and allow them to spend it in their communities as they see fit?

April 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liza

Well, apparently GE and Exxon didn't pay one red cent. And why is it my few rich friends only end up paying around 20% and I pay nearly 30% and I only make about $45,000 a year. Funny, isn't it? Kind of like Warren Buffet's secretary pays more in taxes. Even he said so. So, you Mr. Rich person (Matt). Cry me a river.

April 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Mr. Buffet lives off of his investments. the capital gains rate is 20%. His secretary must pay income tax since she earns an income, as do you I presume. Corporations don't pay taxes, they just pass them through to the consumer, and the share holders who benefit from te profits, pay at a capital gains rate also. Your r"rich" friends may pay less because they have more deductions, howeverI bet they spend alot more in the economy than you do so their spending is magnified many more times over than your is. Question? Do you rich friends hire people to work for them? If so they are part of the solution. We need to reward that kind of behavior not punish it. Sounds like you are envious of your rich friends. Why not try to better your position and earn more money. Get into that upper income bracket then you can complain that you aren't paying enough in taxes.

April 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Matt,
      Either you are rich or delusional. Tax rates are at the lowest level since 1931 for the top 2%. They are hoarding wealth and the job creaters are creating them in other countries. Maintaining a middle class meens providing living wage jobs in America so that the people you call lazy can go back to work and buy productsa and services that are the engine of capitalism.

April 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary D

The real impact of this speech is in the voters hands. Every person that actively participates in the voting process believes they have the potential to make in the future more than $250,000.00 a year. They are really the lower and middle income voters. They are not going to allow their congressmen and women to agree with the President budget and allow it to pass through and be signed. Everyone feels the crunch of this slow movement in the economy, but the middle class and rich are denying its existence and unwilling to do anything about it that totally includes the deficit. This deficit was here long before President Obama existed and our standard of living fell out the box and is here to stay until the lower and middle class get off the sofa and lobby or elected officials that work together. If our elected officials were in a glass house they would be in federal prison for the many untruths and covers ups that has brought our deficit to this trillion dollar hole we (Americans) are in now. (THE PORK HELPED GET US HERE)

April 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Mary – If we quit subsidizing poverty, then the poor will have no choice but to better themselves and once a person realizes they can work and earn money, they begin to develop a sense of self worth an dperhaps the upward spiral will continue. However as long a there are liberals they will continue to subsidize poverty to maintain their voting block and Obama is leading the charge for this. Greed and envy exist in the poorest of homes more so than the wealthiest, the difference is the wealthy have enough ambition to go earn it, the poor wait for the govt to give it to them.

April 13, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baruch

Matt: your analysis is naive and ignorant. There are many reasons why people are poor. Most people who are poor are not where they are because they are slackers. You ignore the rampant classism and racism in this country, the disparity in educational opportunities, the difference between the nutrition poor kids and rich kids get and the neurological ramifications, and many many more factors. If you were to remove your head from your hind end and learn about other people instead of just focusing on "me me me" you might actually become someone who cares about others. People who have more than they need should contribute more to the common pool. We are all in this together. Anyone who would rather hoard than share is mentally and spiritually underdeveloped.

April 14, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Blanca Mc Donough

I heard this morning our President's talk about the National Budget, for me he was clear, convencing and right, and I trust our President, I think they are many skeptical people that is waht you expect in our democracy. I am a retired senior I depend on my MEDICARE, and many people less afortunat than me they depend not only in their MEDICARE BUT ALSO IN THEIR MEDICAL, now if we want to progress and make again AMERICA THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE, we have to invest, and what our President's plan is showing us it is a goal for many years that make sense at least the President is not promesing that it will happend next year. Europeans they have trains to everyplace won't it be nice for America to have the same or better system of transportation than them? for this wre need to invest NOW, GOOD FOR THE PRESIDENT TO BE VISIONARY.

April 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keith Ballew

Glad to see our president standing up to the tea party, republicans, big oil, big banking, wall street, insurance industry, and the poor poor millionairs/billionaires. Its time to tax people that make a lot of money and quit trying to destroy Social Security and medicare.

April 13, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |