Yale senior dies in machine shop accident
Michele Dufault of Scituate, Massachusetts, was an astronomy and physics major who was to graduate in May.
April 13th, 2011
09:44 PM ET

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

A Yale University senior was killed in an accident in a chemistry laboratory's machine shop late Tuesday or early Wednesday, officials at the Connecticut school said.

Michele Dufault of Massachusetts was working on a project in the Sterling Chemistry Laboratory's machine shop when her hair got caught in a lathe, a machine that shapes material by rotating it against a tool, Yale President Richard C. Levin said in an e-mailed statement. Her body was found by other students who were working in the building, Levin said.

The cause of death was asphyxia due to neck compression, and the manner was accidental, said Kathy Wilson, an investigator with Connecticut's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

 

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Connecticut
soundoff (21 Responses)
  1. Frank

    People of the United States of America.
    Yale is in real trouble,there were probably no safety guidelines in place,no kill switch in easy acess to the worker on the machine.There should have been a rule that 2 people need to be in a room working at one time for safety reasons.

    April 14, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  2. Deano

    May God rest her merry soul.... when I was in machine shop, we were always taught to tie the hair back,use a hair-net,or just get a haircut...this can also happen by wearing long sleeved shirts that are not rolled-up pass the elbow.

    April 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jazzzzzzzzz

    She goes to Yale but yet couldn't figure out that she may need to either tie up her hair or wear a hat?

    April 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

      Not me , that is the fake jazz

      April 15, 2011 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. ed Bailey

    Yes frank you are also very correct.the two person rule is very very important. Guards and e stops help but another person WOULD HAVE BEEN a life saver!

    April 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
1 2