2 Korean War soldiers to receive posthumous Medals of Honor
Pfc. Anthony T. Kaho’ohanohano, left, and Pfc. Henry Svehla are being honored for their actions during the Korean War.
April 14th, 2011

2 Korean War soldiers to receive posthumous Medals of Honor

Two U.S. soldiers will receive posthumous Medals of Honor for their actions during the Korean War, the White House announced Wednesday.

Relatives of Pfc. Anthony T. Kaho’ohanohano and Pfc. Henry Svehla will receive the medals from President Barack Obama at a White House ceremony on May 2.

Kaho’ohanohano is being commended for his actions on September 1, 1951. As his unit, Company H, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, fell back under superior enemy numbers near Chopra-Ri, Kaho’ohanohano ordered his squad to move to a more defensible position and provide covering fire for the retreating forces, according to a White House news release.

"He then gathered a supply of grenades and ammunition and returned to his original position to face the enemy alone - delivering deadly accurate fire into the ranks of the onrushing enemy. When his ammunition was depleted, he engaged the enemy in hand-to-hand combat until he was killed. His heroic stand so inspired his comrades that they launched a counterattack that completely repulsed the enemy," the release reads.

“His last words were ‘I’ve got your back,' and he went out and did his job,” his younger brother David Kaho’ohanohano, 77, of Hawaii told Stars and Stripes. “Nowadays, you don’t have too many heroes, and he was one of the big heroes in our family.”

Kaho’ohanohano's sister, Elaine Kaho’ohanohano, and another brother, Eugene Kaho’ohanohano, will be at the White House ceremony.

Svehla is being honored for his actions on June 12, 1952, while he was a rifleman with Company F, 32d Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division near Pyongony, Korea.

"Coming under heavy fire and with his platoon's attack beginning to falter, Private First Class Svehla leapt to his feet and charged the enemy positions, firing his weapon and throwing grenades as he advanced. Disregarding his own safety, he destroyed enemy positions and inflicted heavy casualties. When an enemy grenade landed among a group of his comrades, without hesitation and undoubtedly aware of the extreme danger, he threw himself on the grenade" and was killed, according to the White House release.

Svehla's sisters, Dorothy Mathews and Sylvia Svehla, will receive the medal from Obama.

Post by:
Filed under: Medal of Honor • Military
  1. Cesar

@Cesar of 4:44: American soldiers died. And you have no respect. You hide behind your computer and spew out B/S. You are just someone that no body wants, and will never want. You are what they call a Loser troll.

April 15, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

@Cesar of 4:44: your mother is a filthy who/re!

April 15, 2011 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Tell me something Phunnie boy,did either Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann put you up to posting the above? By your choice of words,it appears that way! I suppose that you're going be their poster boy now!!!

April 15, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. coldassets

Why doesn't the gov't try paying these guys or their widows instead of stupid medals? My father in law did time in Korea, shot up 3 times, but always sent back. Now that he is deceased, my mother in law receives nothing. "OH, sorry, the paper work got burned up in St. Louis'. So she lives on $500/month because she doesn't get his military pension. Luckily we can support her. The same with my mother. My dad served in WWII. He had an affair with an officers wife and they destroyed his papers, so no pension for dad, or my mother. The military isn't any better than regular business'. This country should be ashamed of itself how it treats its veterans. Just like when the govt was going to shut down last week. The senators and congressmen were still going to get paid, but the military wasn't. The military personnel who live pay check to pay check, but you're going to take their money. More and more, I'm starting to side with Chavez. The govt of this country is built on greed and nothing else. None of them (Reps or Dems) care about the people, they all CARE about their pockets. The way we treat our veterans is a disgrace and everyone single one of you should be ashamed of yourself.

April 15, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. coldassets

Stupid Americans? You wanna be one though, don't ya, c'mon, you know it. You wish you could say you are an AMERICAN!!!!!!! no, you be stupid mexican

April 15, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

BINGO!

April 15, 2011 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

@coldassets: Sandra Bullock says she wants to kiss you on the mouth. Says you have a pretty little mouth.

April 15, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

If you were fighting for an empire its ok to talk about honor

April 15, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. Raven (boy)

@ Ed. Thank you sir for your service. I never served in the military myself, I tried to volunteer after 9/11 but was turned down because of a heart condition....I come from a military family going back four generations. It has been a hard thing for me not to be allowed to serve my country and it makes me sick to see people who have to oppertunity that I didn't have hide their cowardess behind fake political stands. Even taking it further to completely disrespect men who have given up their lives to save others. They did so reguardless of political opinion. You men and women who have spoken up in respect for these two men have my respect as well. Because it is up to us left behind here at home to stand up in defense of our men and women abroad. To fight for the fighters. If all I can ever do in the service of my country is stand up for our soldiers, then that is an honor for me that I will be glad to have. I am proud of my family's service and I am pround to live in this country.

April 15, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

@Cesar of 8:33: Shut up stupid.

April 15, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

The Clams have Eyes

April 15, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

All of you vets can kiss my azz, you went to war for nothing, don't think we are proud of you, we only say that so you can feel good, but we seriously think that the goverment always pick the dumbest to die for the country, blacks, hispanics and non educated whites, those are the ones that are in the front lines.

April 15, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

@fake Cesar; I told you to shut up, don't be funny, respect my posts, if you don't like them, too bad, the truth always hurts

April 15, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. Brigd. R.Ryan

@Svehla Family: Do you really believe the story about the grenade? You people should know that everybody knows this is not a true story, we always invent a nice story about the soldiers so their families be proud of them. We in the army are experts in writting stories about soldiers that get killed for nothing, please don't tell anyone about the grenade, he would have never done such thing, he was going to be discharged as soon as he got here, lucky he got KIA.

April 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Anthony

@michele

I am a solider who has picked up his rifle and stood his post. I believe in America and love her and her people. But, I think we need continue to perfect our union. And these unnecessary wars are about corporate empire, and plutocracy. We are becoming the Rome that the Soviet propaganda labeled us as during the cold war. We have become the empire we threw off under King George. It has all happened before, and will happen to us if we can not get past this ignorant excepetionalism we cling too, under the name "Proud American". We must love America enough to recognize when we have goofed. And we must be able to cowboy up, and do want needs to be done to return the US to the hands of her people. CEOs, Industry Associations, Boards of Directors, and their lobbyists are stealing this nation from those of us who have offered our blood, bones, and sweat to her future. It's not the "Politicians" or the "Executives" per-se. It's folks like us who apologize for these clowns. Those like us who complain about outsourced jobs, low wages, and inadequate health care options, but immediately yell that "Government" should stay out of our lives. That have fallen for the ridiculous idea that corporations, where we have NO REPRESENTATION, should dictate our choices. Who buy the shoe we know is made in China, by a subcontractor of a US company that we know treats his workers badly, just because it costs less than one made by people who earn a living wage (no matter were they are).

I have stood on a frozen mountainside just north of Tundechon, ROK with a rifle in my hands, practicing for a day when the North would try to push us into the sea. But, today, the most patriotic thing I can do is refuse to buy into the debt-fueled, mass consumption model.

April 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

Imagine the conversation of two generals talking about the casualties in a war " just give their families a medal and a flag", that would be enough for them, you people will never learn, war is a business and you must die for it, Obama and his team are making billions in weapons contracts, but for you dumd asses a stupid medal

April 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |