April 14th, 2011

New York, San Diego no longer have white majorities

New census data confirm that some major metropolitan areas flipped from majority white to majority populations of minorities during the past decade.

White people are now in the minority in 46 of the nation's 366 metro areas, including New York, Washington, San Diego, Las Vegas and Memphis, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

That number is up from 32 in 2000, 10 in 1990 and nine in 1980, Frey said.

The changes are a result of relatively slow growth among the white population, white people moving outside metropolitan areas, and huge increases in minority populations, especially Hispanic and Asian, he said.

Recent analysis also showed white children are in the minority in 10 states.

"[The 2010 Census figures] show we’re becoming a more diverse nation, especially in our metropolitan areas, and it's filtering out from there," Frey said.

The Census Bureau previously released the data for cities, counties and states, but data calculated for metropolitan areas and regions might give people a more accurate understanding of where they live, Frey said.

For example, while the population of the city of Atlanta grew by about 3,500, the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta metro area, as the Census Bureau calls it, grew by more than 1 million. The Houston and Dallas areas also had growth of more than 1 million, while the Phoenix and Riverside, California, areas both added more than 900,000.

See the fastest-growing metro areas.

"As we become much more of a suburban nation, the kind of glue that puts the community together is the idea of the metropolitan community," he said.

Looking at metro areas also can offer a deeper view of how people live in different areas. Frey has used statistics about metropolitan areas to calculate the most segregated areas in the country. In terms of white and black, the most segregated areas were around Milwaukee, New York, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.

Read more of CNN's Defining America coverage

Post by:
Filed under: Census
soundoff (1,225 Responses)
  1. The_Unspoken_Truth

There are nations of other races with a decent standard of living. Have you seen Kuwait? Brazil is on the rise as well (a population with lots of African blood, I might add).

To think only one race can be successful is trash. The best innovations are coming from overseas now.

April 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghostality

So you are saying black African blood is superior? It sounded like it.

April 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • fcprop

Are you kidding yourself?

April 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rivirivi

By the way, every time I fill in an application of any kind where it asks for your race, it always says: Race ______White_____Black_____Latin______Other_________ (if other Explain) So I ALWAYS mark Other and in the explanation part I write "HUMAN".

April 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghostality

That's really awesome. Good idea!

April 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. npgator

As the European decendants become the minority this country will start to resemble the countries of where the new majorities came from – many are third world!

April 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • The_Unspoken_Truth

Did you realize America was a third world nation for much of its history? This country was started by thieves, social rejects, and prisoners.

April 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • allan

Why does the media accuse society of being bigoted and then go on to define everything by race? Hypocrites.

April 14, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. caucasian-american

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa don't call me white you racists! sounds like i'm sick or just got the crap scared out of me! Its Caucasian Amercian!!! Thank You!

April 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Right On brotha! White Pride!

April 15, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Nicole

America is became a country of ugly people and this ugly people are coming from India and all Mid Eastern Europe.

April 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heywood Jablome

Double Winner! I'm still trying to find the second location on a map.

April 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

"majority populations of minorities " How strangely worded.

We need a new term for "minorities". Maybe we should just say, "white".

April 14, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ken

Some cities that surround Atlanta are being sued for being too white.

April 14, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghostality

Which is wrong in my book. I hated when I read that.

April 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sstephens

I'm native American. I don't understand why white people invaded a country, brought over slaves, used other minorities to do work they themselves did not want to do and now they act like these people have no right to be here. Did god put up borders? No, that's right. I think it was white people. It doesn't matter anyway. one day the true judge will come down and judge us one by one. Let's see if race matters then. Pray for all of us. Even the white people.

April 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jay

This nations best days are long gone now. The so called majority can have the scraps that are left.

April 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. DarkShdo

Hey, I'm a minority now! Great! Can I now get preferrential treatment and consideration when applying to college or seeking a job? It would be great to get back to work but in the field I am trained in I go up against affirmative action every time I submit a CV.

April 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • The_Unspoken_Truth

LOL. Do you realize that most places of employment don't have affirmative action and quotas?

Try working for 500 years for free, and being released into poverty with nothing...and told on the way that they contributed nothing to this country....

All of a sudden, a little preferential treament on the job seems....trivial. 🙂

April 14, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MST

Unspoken, many people do not realize that the prime beneficiaries of affirmative action are WHITE FEMALES, not blacks, but no one seems to have a problem with that.

I have unemployed siblings. Please tell me where these employers are who want to hire them just because they're black. I'm sure they would like to know, - especially my brother, who has exhausted his unemployment benefits.

April 15, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. the_dude

Once all the white people (tax payers) are gone I wonder how long before all the brown skins start complaining that they dont get welfare or section 8 anymore.

April 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

The-Dude You are an idiot. As a matter of fact all of you are idiots. Affirmative action only benefited white women when it first came about. Look it up. I don't know of any black person that got preferial treatment from that. As far as being looked over for a job, that doesn't happen either. Either you are a good fit for the job or you are not. You white people are always blaming someone else for your shortfalls. There are more white people on welfare than there are blacks.You also need to look that up.

April 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Craig

Does this mean that us whites can abuse the race card now? Can we jump ahead of the line for promotions at work? The next time a white man gets mugged, will it be considered a hate crime? Oh, can we now say "white pride?" Or is that still only allowed for Latinos? I think I'm going to move to the big city....treat me like i deserve something, or I will sue you all!!!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mark from Louisiana

Wow I wish this had happened a few years ago, my son wouldn't have had to work his way through college he could have gotten Pell grants.
    Wow, now I can be eligible for food stamps, HUD housing, crazy check, all I need to do is find a lil gal who wants to have lot's of babies and we would be set for life, living on the taxpayers money.......yee ha

April 14, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. GTechie

No surprise, as we are becoming a much more diverse nation. Take pride in it, folks... Now, can we FINALLY lose the "minority" term? How about treat every person equally...black, white, latino, asian, middle eastern, etc... Now that we're all on more of an "even playing field" (so-to-speak), can we just agree that we can stop using the term "minority" and move on?

How about now that we're more diverse, we start rewarding people based on merit, not on racial make-up. If a white dude deserves a scholarship over a hispanic female, give it to him... If a black woman deserves it over an asian guy, give it to her... Race should no longer play a part in hiring or education. Affirmative action was a great policy when it was needed, but we're moving in a more diverse direction... time to accept it and move forward.

April 14, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Just Canadian Please

For everyone who thinks America would be better off without minorities, I say to you America would be better off if you read a history book. Ignorance will be the downfall of your society not minorities. It's easy to forget how America was stolen from the Native's and then built on the backs of slaves but just because its' easy to forget doesn't mean it never happened. Thankfully as an educated so called African Canadian , I can sit back and watch the Chaos unfold from afar with the understanding that you're not all like that. My only hope is that the ignorant among you never try and find refuge in my country, be you Black, White or Latino. I do not have time to explain the metric system or why we don't all play hockey and live in igloos to you. Besides that, it's come to my attention over the years that an alarming number of you don't even know where Canada is located geographically or that we are a bigger Country!!

April 14, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lila

Um you know Canada was also settled by Europeans who "stole" land. So was Mexico, Central and South America....

April 14, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dick Hertz

The reason we have so many Illegals is because they didn't want to move to Canada. Who the Hell would? Maybe they don't want your fugly women?

April 14, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • DRTSAT

Clarify the "bigger" thing. Land mass only. Not population or GDP.

April 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |