April 14th, 2011

New York, San Diego no longer have white majorities

New census data confirm that some major metropolitan areas flipped from majority white to majority populations of minorities during the past decade.

White people are now in the minority in 46 of the nation's 366 metro areas, including New York, Washington, San Diego, Las Vegas and Memphis, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

That number is up from 32 in 2000, 10 in 1990 and nine in 1980, Frey said.

The changes are a result of relatively slow growth among the white population, white people moving outside metropolitan areas, and huge increases in minority populations, especially Hispanic and Asian, he said.

Recent analysis also showed white children are in the minority in 10 states.

"[The 2010 Census figures] show we’re becoming a more diverse nation, especially in our metropolitan areas, and it's filtering out from there," Frey said.

The Census Bureau previously released the data for cities, counties and states, but data calculated for metropolitan areas and regions might give people a more accurate understanding of where they live, Frey said.

For example, while the population of the city of Atlanta grew by about 3,500, the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta metro area, as the Census Bureau calls it, grew by more than 1 million. The Houston and Dallas areas also had growth of more than 1 million, while the Phoenix and Riverside, California, areas both added more than 900,000.

See the fastest-growing metro areas.

"As we become much more of a suburban nation, the kind of glue that puts the community together is the idea of the metropolitan community," he said.

Looking at metro areas also can offer a deeper view of how people live in different areas. Frey has used statistics about metropolitan areas to calculate the most segregated areas in the country. In terms of white and black, the most segregated areas were around Milwaukee, New York, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.

Read more of CNN's Defining America coverage

Post by:
Filed under: Census
soundoff (1,225 Responses)
  1. The_Unspoken_Truth

So nice, I had to post it twice:

sstephens:

I'm native American. I don't understand why white people invaded a country, brought over slaves, used other minorities to do work they themselves did not want to do and now they act like these people have no right to be here. Did god put up borders? No, that's right. I think it was white people. It doesn't matter anyway. one day the true judge will come down and judge us one by one. Let's see if race matters then. Pray for all of us. Even the white people.

April 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghostality

Here comes the Bible Freaks. Oh, here it goes.

April 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RD

This is a worthless story – so the white people have moved to the suburbs – tell me something I don't already know!

April 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kevin

It is still so much better being White.

April 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Habib

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! You are not White, your momma just made you believe that. 🙂 You don't even exist. Have you ever wondered why nobody pays attention to you when you walk into a room. You are just part of someone's multiple personality disorder.

April 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dick Hertz

Get rid of all the Illegal aliens and see what the stats are. They deserve nothing for invading us.

April 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mike

50,000,000 uneducated illegals in this country is not a good thing, you open border people are nuts! Why do you think so many old diseases are running rampant again.. they move here having never been inoculated for any diseases of which we had all but eradicated, now their kids that they brought with them (not the anchor babies,they got theirs free) are sitting in class beside your child, that "had" to be inoculated or else couldn't attend school.. so how do those kids get in class without it?? Tired of all these double standards!!

April 14, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dick Hertz

I asked my Doctor about all the illnesses we are coming down with? Asked if we were seeing more since the Brown Invasion? I said it's only common sense that it was like the White Man giving Natives disease in the New World. He said " You know, I never looked at it that way but you're hitting the nail on the head". Perfect example. Swine Flu was another Perfect Example.

April 14, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DanteX

Who cares about Caucasians NOW being "in the minority" in the United States of America -or ANY other place for that matter- today or tomorrow?

Caucasians have gone around the the entire planet spreading nothing but death and disease and evil and slavery for centuries and have done nothing but murder any group of indigenous poeple they came across and rapied them and stole both their land from beneath them and the people themselves to enslave them.

April 14, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ricky

All the Dantes I know love malt liquor and big butt white women. How about you?

April 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • DRTSAT

While I realize that the Spanish were from Spain and that they, themselves were Caucasian, the Hispanic has done his fair share of damage. Shall we look at the disorganized cluster of nations that is Africa? Everyone always wants to blame the white guy. Blacks in Africa are the ones that sold other blacks into slavery. Blacks are just as guilty in that arena. So, Slavery was stupid. Attempts at World Conquest were stupid, buying and selling your fellow man was stupid. All races have contributed and continue to contribute to stupidity in this world and in the U.S. The question is, what are we as citizens going to do to fix it? Sitting around moaning about something that happened over 1 or 2 centuries past won't help. Focus on today. Hell, vote when you get the chance.

April 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghostality

You are so racist for saying that. Actually, Caucasians got the idea of slavery from Africa. They were doing it to their own people before it even started over here.

April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pedro Jose Juan Martinez de Garcia Ayala Gonzales

Ha! Ha! YES!!!! We are gaining ground here. 🙂

April 14, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dick Hertz

About that name? Does it take that many letters to spell LEECH?

April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tanker

@Dick Hertz
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It only takes your momma to spell LEECH. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

April 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DRTSAT

This is probably irrelevant anyway since you probably totaled all of the "minority" races then based on their total numbers as compared to the number of whites. I'll bet if you broke it down into separate ethnic groups that whites are still the majority. Not that it matters anyway. As long as we keep focusing on stuff like this that really doesn't matter to the country as a whole people won't just try and live as Americans who happen to be proud of their differences.

April 14, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. The_Unspoken_Truth

The funny thing is that the gains of Affirmative action are often exaggerated. If quotas exist in finance, I'll be hard pressed to find them. I looked for a job (I'm a minority) for 1.5 years. I have an advanced degree, wall street experience, a near perfect gpa in my last school, and a thesis.

In the job now, I actually perform better on the job than average.

So you idiots think of that the next time you think all blacks are are leeches on society who need help to get ahead...

April 14, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JW

Awesome! I can't wait to get all my minority benefits like first in line for a job and educational bennies. Hmmm, I hope blacks and latinos continue to think giving special treatment to minorities is a good thing.

April 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • The_Unspoken_Truth

Then maybe us minorities can get preferential treatment, too. Struggle through high school, fail out of college, and get saved by our uncle that has a rich business.

April 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kipepeo

If the goal is to eliminate discrimination by race, then why do we still attempt to count people and segregate them into races?

April 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The_Unspoken_Truth

I'll keep repeating it til you dumb folks get it.

This country was founded using initial help from Native Americans, lifetime slave labor from Africans, and Asian immigrants from the west.

Asian countries are catching up with us technologically and educationally as we speak. America doesnt even have the highest standard of living- that honor goes to Kuwait.

Immigrants often come to this country and outdo us...were it not for americans being well established, foreigners would have even more of an impact.

I guess it's all Obama's fault. LOL. That's the way its always been. Use the minority...then blame the minority.

April 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • FFFF

Really how about the white european have contributed to this country. The Irish especially. Just think w/o the Europeans you woud have no promise land to even come too...as you point your finger.

April 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marc

Regardless of your point of view on the subject, one thing very important is happening that in the end will be beneficial in due time, and that is we are finally having real honest conversations about race relations. But what I'm noticing is more white men seem to be having a problem with not being the majority, or with what this trend is telling us.

Is this same conversation going on anywhere or twitter? If not I'd love to continue it with anyone that wishes to discuss this further. #nomajority is where you can find my thoughts. And just for the record I'm 32, born and raised in Texas in a white suburb so I look at things with many eyes.

April 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Derrick

Please excuse any grammatical errors. I never comment on articles. I am posting on this topic so hopefully others will understand the ramifications of their words. I guess you can say I was naive to racism growing up being half white, half black in a very small town. Everyone knew everybody. Never really experienced it. My parents would try to warn me but I always figured they were exaggerating. I consider myself a patriot and love my country dearly, so much so that I enlisted the day after I graduated high school. I served 2 tours in Afghanistan. The second tour cut short by a rocket propelled grenade that struck a humvee I was riding passenger in. I have slight but permanent scarring to the right side of my face and neck, permanent hearing loss in my right ear, and I am missing a fist sized chunk of my upper right thigh that causes me to walk with a severe limp aided only by a walking cain. Obviously out of the military now I followed the light of my life to her hometown of Dallas, Tx. In these last 4 years I've begun to see the deep seeded racism that runs rampant in our country that I never experienced growing up or in the military (I guess its easier to judge a man by his character rather than by the color of his skin when you're depending on that man for your survivall). Instead of becoming united in the face of adversity I see that on all sides of the fence our country is turning on each other. Approximately 2 months ago while walking in the park behind my home with my wife and our 2 year old son a truck full of teenagers, whose very freedoms I sacrificed so much to protect not long ago, and would do so again if physically able, thought it would be humorous to chant the words "Gimpy N-word" while driving along the adjacent road. Now I'm sure had they known how my physical ailments came to be, they probably wouldn't have said what they said, so I didn't take it personally. However that night I cried for the one of the handful of times that I have during my adult life, because I finally realized that I would never play with my son the way fathers were running and playing with theirs that day at the park. I do have those young men to thank for that. Since my discharge out of the military I've recieved my associates degree in computer science and have begun to make a nice living for my family. I said that to say this, I have applied for a transfer with the company I'm working for to Toronto. While I know that you can never escape racism, I believe that it is my duty to lessen the burden for my son if given the opportunity. Again, I will always love my country, but she's scaring me right now.

April 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drea

Derrick, what a well written point and it definitely hits home. I am white and mexican, grew up in san diego and never really knew racism was so bad untill I was an adult and married a black man. We too have been publicly insulted in front of our son too and its very hurtful. We have several times considered moving somewhere back east or down south for economic reasons (san diego is expensive ). But I am so afraid of my son being tormented for his race, after visiting places where racism is still happening its forced us to stay here in order to protect him. Thank you for writing that. And thank you for defending my freedom.

April 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Paris in Chicago

well, I live in Chicago and I will prefer to see illegals from Mexico , than to see this Middle Eastern people arriving here legally, they are every were in Chicago, they have their own town where mostly is writing is Arabic and the people there dress up like they still live in their little countries, they lock of good looks, hygiene and education and they are the rudess people, ever. I addition, this people hate America, and we have them here llegally, you tell me who is fault is this.

April 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heywood Jablome

Nicole is that you again? You can't win again. There is only first and second place stupid. Get a spell checker.

April 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |