April 14th, 2011

New York, San Diego no longer have white majorities

New census data confirm that some major metropolitan areas flipped from majority white to majority populations of minorities during the past decade.

White people are now in the minority in 46 of the nation's 366 metro areas, including New York, Washington, San Diego, Las Vegas and Memphis, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

That number is up from 32 in 2000, 10 in 1990 and nine in 1980, Frey said.

The changes are a result of relatively slow growth among the white population, white people moving outside metropolitan areas, and huge increases in minority populations, especially Hispanic and Asian, he said.

Recent analysis also showed white children are in the minority in 10 states.

"[The 2010 Census figures] show we’re becoming a more diverse nation, especially in our metropolitan areas, and it's filtering out from there," Frey said.

The Census Bureau previously released the data for cities, counties and states, but data calculated for metropolitan areas and regions might give people a more accurate understanding of where they live, Frey said.

For example, while the population of the city of Atlanta grew by about 3,500, the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta metro area, as the Census Bureau calls it, grew by more than 1 million. The Houston and Dallas areas also had growth of more than 1 million, while the Phoenix and Riverside, California, areas both added more than 900,000.

See the fastest-growing metro areas.

"As we become much more of a suburban nation, the kind of glue that puts the community together is the idea of the metropolitan community," he said.

Looking at metro areas also can offer a deeper view of how people live in different areas. Frey has used statistics about metropolitan areas to calculate the most segregated areas in the country. In terms of white and black, the most segregated areas were around Milwaukee, New York, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.

Read more of CNN's Defining America coverage

Post by:
Filed under: Census
soundoff (1,225 Responses)
  1. LivnInSD

since when did Hispanic become a race? I do genetics. I have never heard of the Hispanic race. You mean white with a tan? Hispanic and Latino are not a race – they are an ethnicity of the American Indian or African American, and Caucasian mix. I am ashamed of the media spreading false propaganda.

April 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeremiah

So does this mean that white people in cities where the majority population in now some other color will be eligible to benefit from affirmative action policies ?

April 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • The_Unspoken_Truth

OK people who think minorities have it easy, Let's make a deal!

You guys can have our minimal gains in affirmative action.

We'll take any and everything that has arisen as a result of slave labor and military bullying (including that 40 acres and a mule you promised us which with interest is worth God knows when, and everything from Texas to Caliornia!)

Then you'll see how "easy" it is to be a minority!!

April 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah

@ The_Unspoken_Truth

Sounds like a good deal to me. My family came to the states from Ireland in the late 1890's facing worse situations with regard to housing, employment, and just generally being despised by the locals. In comparison to what minorities "deal" with now adays I'd say they have it a lot easier than my ancestors.

April 14, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ricardo

I think is a good thing- this land is my land. your land is and always has been our land..

April 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The_Unspoken_Truth

Hey everybody! Let's take the easy way out and blame Obama! Yeah!! That always works!!!

April 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dick Hertz

Georgia passed E-verify in to Law today. Other States to follow their lead. No jobs, no money, no Illegals. Make them leave on their own. They were never invited to the Party in the first place. Try getting at the back of the line with the REAL IMMIGRANTS.

April 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ricardo

Dont worry about jobs my fellow color depraved compatriots, there will be plenty of dishwater and lawnmowing jobs for you.

April 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jk

I don't mind which side of an issue people are on if they can make a good point. I just wish we could all write (somewhat) proper English in these posts. I can hardly follow what some of you are trying to say.

April 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ron

tell you the truth you can have it. we (whites) are all relocating to australia. only 35 millions people. latinos cant move there.
    and theres no work any way. its a comon wealth so political correctness. and no multi culturalisim.

April 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Corey

What is the big hubbub about. America is supposed to be a melting pot right. Well most of the worlds population isn't white. I also wonder how you categorize people of mixed races. Do they count as minority or white? I'm one of them. @Marc, I'm one of the Natives you speak of. But I'm half Alaskan Native and half Caucasian but 100% American. I'm dark skin so have always been perceived as just Native. But I have friends that are even more Native than myself but look totally white (my sister for example). I've never like the categorizing of everyone by race. When asked on any kind of form I leave that section blank. Not that I'm ashamed of being Native or white I just feel we are all Americans. I met a black guy from Texas last month and he was a total cowboy. He looked all black but said one of his parents were white. He looks black but acts and talks white. And he shared the same view when this kind of subject came up "I'm not black or white, I'm American" is how he put it.
    "We cannot evolve as a society until we become unorthodox."

April 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paul N Destin

LBJ's great society...huh....tell us all what the true cost of a bale of cotton really was. George Wallace was correct.

April 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LivnInSD

Want to post again to make abundantly clear so everyone has the correct facts – Hispanic, Latino, and Mexican are not races. They are ethnicity that have no specific genetic signature. Many want them to be called a race for the added benefits that are attached but sorry – they are not one. The truth is I know many white Hispanics, many white Latinos, and many white Mexicans.

April 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lila

I agree with you. The census was a mess here in LA because Hispanics thought they were another race too. The Mayor had to go on TV and explain how to fill out the form!

April 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • john sanchez

Yes. I am one of them.

Read a book people, stop being ignorant.

April 14, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • fcprop

Just change your TV station to Univision and you will see racism in the Mexican culture. Everyone is white, not the dark indian blooded stuff that's running across the border...

April 14, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The_Unspoken_Truth

People don't study history.

Texas was founded because Americans brought their slaves with them there and didn't want to be part of Mexico.

Can you imagine the outrage if Mexicans came to Texas and tried to make it their land? Wait a minute, it's already happening....except when they do it, it'll called illegal immigration.

April 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. white male

Why does everyone bring race into the immigration debate.it is very simple ILLEGAL immigrants are CRIMINALS period

April 14, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dick Hertz

But 90% of them are what?

April 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hahaha

Funny how Canadians don't know that the U.S. Bought Canada with NAFTA! Hahaha

April 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rami

So, good time ahead. We all the same.

April 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |