April 14th, 2011

New York, San Diego no longer have white majorities

New census data confirm that some major metropolitan areas flipped from majority white to majority populations of minorities during the past decade.

White people are now in the minority in 46 of the nation's 366 metro areas, including New York, Washington, San Diego, Las Vegas and Memphis, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

That number is up from 32 in 2000, 10 in 1990 and nine in 1980, Frey said.

The changes are a result of relatively slow growth among the white population, white people moving outside metropolitan areas, and huge increases in minority populations, especially Hispanic and Asian, he said.

Recent analysis also showed white children are in the minority in 10 states.

"[The 2010 Census figures] show we’re becoming a more diverse nation, especially in our metropolitan areas, and it's filtering out from there," Frey said.

The Census Bureau previously released the data for cities, counties and states, but data calculated for metropolitan areas and regions might give people a more accurate understanding of where they live, Frey said.

For example, while the population of the city of Atlanta grew by about 3,500, the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta metro area, as the Census Bureau calls it, grew by more than 1 million. The Houston and Dallas areas also had growth of more than 1 million, while the Phoenix and Riverside, California, areas both added more than 900,000.

See the fastest-growing metro areas.

"As we become much more of a suburban nation, the kind of glue that puts the community together is the idea of the metropolitan community," he said.

Looking at metro areas also can offer a deeper view of how people live in different areas. Frey has used statistics about metropolitan areas to calculate the most segregated areas in the country. In terms of white and black, the most segregated areas were around Milwaukee, New York, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.

Read more of CNN's Defining America coverage

Post by:
Filed under: Census
soundoff (1,225 Responses)
  1. ron

i dont care if theres 1 latino or 50 million. they will never close my mouth ! make me move from my neighborhood ! loose my job. or make me stop talking english. they will never keep me from living my life. they wont talk to me if i dont want to be talked to by one. and thats how it is. they dont like it. they meet me on the street or in court. my civil liberties will be defended from them. as i do every day wether nyc or miami.

white people are scared of them. im not.

April 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • LivnInSD

many Latinos are white. FYI

April 14, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Adam

Divide and conquer! Wake up sheeple! Your vain attempts to "appear" cerebral are making my half-breed self nauseas!

April 14, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rami

@Ron. Woow.. man take it easy.. One day you will go to nursing home. Maybe just maybe the nurse is maxican or latio. Does it matter. Too much hate ...

April 14, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Theresa

I'm sorry CNN but, shouldn't you say "caucasion"? And I would like to add Santa Maria, California to that list (if it hasn't been added already).

April 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bbo1991

Whites have always been a strong minority in the world. I don't see how this correlates to the downfall of the West and/or the white race. I know minorities that are as American or possibly even more American than I am. There is a very strong possibility hundreds of years from now that we will all be tan, anyway, from all the interracial mixing.

April 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. thezenhaitian

Well good going for the Hispanic and Asian communities, I guess. Maybe a small minority of Hispanics and Asians can manage to usurp the current small minority of super rich multinational cartel of mostly white identified people who control all the world's currencies, credit, governments, military, intelligence, media, and voting systems... somehow I doubt it. The U.S./international commuity has never aimed to serve the best interest of the world community. Nor have they been particularly interested in democracy - what they term "mob rule."

April 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Navyman

Even if Whites are the minority they still have all the Gold, they still have control of the purse strings. Dont worry white people every time a black or hispanic comes to YOUR business for an interview you can still say no and hire your white buddy. Things havent changed they just look diferent, if this wasnt true then there would be no need for this article. Somebody mentioned in an earlier post about blacks taking jobs from whites thats a big joke. Look at the big corporations take a look at the big money people in this country 99.9% WHITE if not for sports and entertainment it would be 100% so like I said dont worry white people your still in control.

April 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TD7777

Black ppl are truly pathetic, even the other minorities are managing to "hold you back". Its funny that "The Man" for black people now could be asian, hispanic, or white, lol.

April 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe

Does this mean whites will soon be elligible for minority scholarships?

April 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ron

rami i know im pre pareing by moving to austrilia.

im not going to be here when latino cops begin to abuse whites.....lloll...

April 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. WVLady63

Just more mouthes for the white race to feed and support.

April 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Unspoken_truth is a moron

Do you realize that most places of employment don't have affirmative action and quotas?

Maybe not written, but if you think that business owners and CEO's don't let it effect their hiring decisions, you're crazy.

I'm native American. I don't understand why white people invaded a country, brought over slaves, used other minorities to do work they themselves did not want to do and now they act like these people have no right to be here.

Because that's what ALL countries did back then. Capture as much land and resources as possible.

Did god put up borders? No, that's right. I think it was white people.

Oh please. White people invented borders?!?! Most first graders know better than that.

I looked for a job (I'm a minority) for 1.5 years. I have an advanced degree, wall street experience, a near perfect gpa in my last school, and a thesis.

Maybe it's that gigantic chip on your shoulder that's the problem.

April 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoHeritageApparently

I am 1/16 Cherokee which is apparently so watered down that the Cherokee won't even claim me. I have no choice but to classify myself as Caucasian, which has done me no favors. I did everything I could to classify myself as a minority in order to receive the same benefits you could for college scholarships and I was unable to because I could not be classified as a minority. FINALLY I could make an argument that I am in the miniority now and I hope that there are now scholarships for Caucasian Minority Students. For years they have been calling the Caucasians the displaced majority because of reverse discrimination and it makes me think that in cities like these there is likely a very good case for it, given that the "minorities" are in fact the majority and vice versa. With an African American president, at what point are we going to say that we are all about as equal as our human natures will allow? Yes, we are all different, but does that mean that one gets more than the others? Should I be punished for my ancestors mistakes? Given that I do have some Native American in me, you have to grant that I have a good argument that I have been unduly punished in both regards.

April 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ron

im not going to be here when im old and latinos are only people in medical field........ohhh no buddy....

April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • john sanchez

and if that Latino person is white? then what?

April 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Suad

Way to give these racist fascists some firepower CNN. Whites are going to be a minority and continue to decline in numbers. There wont be almost any white people left in 500 years time anyhow if we keep growing at the rate we do. So get over it, whites will be a minority sooner or later.Race is such an unimportant issue. By the way I am white.

April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kevin

Last time I went to a gunshow in the city...it was 99.9% white.

April 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Drea

Based on the comments here, its safe to say we still need to weed out some white biggots, we're not done yet. Ha! I crack myself up! I can't believe u people are so dumb!! It takes a special type of idiot to be a racist
    Smdh I really hope society continues to evolve so my children don't deal with this type of hatred.

April 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghostality

You shouldn't have forgotten the black bigots. They're here too sweety!

April 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ghost_whatever..

Black biggots? O I'm sure, there are racists in all groups, but none as widely known as whites. You didn't like my comment but had no rebuttle so instead you showed your frustration with some weak comment and put a ' sweetie' on it for extra emphasis....
      All I can say is if you cannot base your opinion of someone by examining their character rather than some stereotype your.'pa gave you, then you should kill yourself so we can continue to move in the right direction. Right, not white, I know you're not the sharpest...

April 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • TD7777

Open your eyes, black people are the most intolerant, judgemental, and ignorant racists in the country.

April 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • TD7777

Nobody pays attention to the blacks racist rants because they have managed to remain uneducated and unsuccesful even with all the help they can appropriate.

April 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |