April 14th, 2011

New York, San Diego no longer have white majorities

New census data confirm that some major metropolitan areas flipped from majority white to majority populations of minorities during the past decade.

White people are now in the minority in 46 of the nation's 366 metro areas, including New York, Washington, San Diego, Las Vegas and Memphis, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

That number is up from 32 in 2000, 10 in 1990 and nine in 1980, Frey said.

The changes are a result of relatively slow growth among the white population, white people moving outside metropolitan areas, and huge increases in minority populations, especially Hispanic and Asian, he said.

Recent analysis also showed white children are in the minority in 10 states.

"[The 2010 Census figures] show we’re becoming a more diverse nation, especially in our metropolitan areas, and it's filtering out from there," Frey said.

The Census Bureau previously released the data for cities, counties and states, but data calculated for metropolitan areas and regions might give people a more accurate understanding of where they live, Frey said.

For example, while the population of the city of Atlanta grew by about 3,500, the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta metro area, as the Census Bureau calls it, grew by more than 1 million. The Houston and Dallas areas also had growth of more than 1 million, while the Phoenix and Riverside, California, areas both added more than 900,000.

See the fastest-growing metro areas.

"As we become much more of a suburban nation, the kind of glue that puts the community together is the idea of the metropolitan community," he said.

Looking at metro areas also can offer a deeper view of how people live in different areas. Frey has used statistics about metropolitan areas to calculate the most segregated areas in the country. In terms of white and black, the most segregated areas were around Milwaukee, New York, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.

Read more of CNN's Defining America coverage

Post by:
Filed under: Census
soundoff (1,225 Responses)
  1. Wow

Lots of whiny white people in here. Besides the President, what race has all the powerful positions? How many black senators are there? How many in the house? The top 20 richest CEOs are white, who has all the power in these major corporations? How has the power of the government? The rich! How many blacks or hispanics are rich? The rich have the power which are mostly white. Bunch of racist whiny babies in here!!!!!

April 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Sounds like your doing a lot of crying. Is Whit-e-y oppressing you?

April 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sully

Actually, the 20 richest CEO's are probably Jewish, not "white".

April 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guester

Blacks are on the road to irrelevance as they have already been passed by Latinos as the largest minority.

April 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • TD7777

Black ppl are funny!

April 14, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoHeritageApparently

Supposedly, the fight was supposed to be for equality - not a shift in power. So which is it? Everytime I talk to an African American about reverse racism the response is, "Well, how do you like it?". Either the point is to achieve equality, or the point is to shift the balance and seek retribution for past injustices. If I had a time machine, believe me I would join the many crusaders to go back and beat the slave owners myself - however I will not be punished for the crimes of someone who weren't even here at the time! Unless you are saying that the few Native American relatives I had were the ones who perpetuated the crimes against slaves in which case they were the only ancestors I had who were here, the rest were in Europe! But which is it, a grab for power or a true seeking of equality? If we are to be equal, who decides when we have arrived?

April 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Wow

FYI, I see just as many whites in welfare lines as blacks!!!

April 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TD7777

There are a lot more white people in the U.S. than blacks, Genious. Take a look at the percentages, that may give you a clue.

April 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ron

Do you know?

its happening already. here in miami i got latino cops....not white ones brown ones.....cause they beg to infiltrate society now. at higher levels than dish washers...........................i got latino brown and colored cops. stareing me down. and im not doing nothing just walking or going up the block. yeah you people dont think about the future.

latino cops doctors mayors land owners...................officials. dealing

with a deposed majority.........lloll......

not so cute now. These people wont be your cute cuddly slaves in 10 years. they are going to be running your

neighborhood.......

and they in 10 years wont be a minority......................and you in 10 wont be a majority...............

any of you utopians ever thought of that. what that means.............

in 3 years ill be living in austrilia................screw this.....lloll.....

April 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Guester

If you look at population projections worldwide we all become Asian in the end anyway.

April 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghostality

No offense to Asians. I think they are beautiful people as all races are beautiful. But I intend on remaining who I am. 🙂 If I could pick and choose, I would choose a slim muscled build found on a black men. My hair would be the same. But I might have to pick either Asian, Hispanic or Egyptian skin. They have the most beautiful skin. Come to think of it, by the time a race converges into one, we might be able to buy replacement parts from the store. 🙂

April 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sully

So with whites in the minority in many places and a black president... when are they going to rescind all the racist business funding, scholarships and other programs that give an advantage to the new majority?

It's about time we were all treated as equals, rather than giving advantages to "Minority" entrepreneurs and students.

April 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • TD7777

They are going to fight tooth and nail to hold on to that junk. BTW, good job landing that plane.

April 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JP

Could be worse. Google Muslim protest in the UK. Scary.......................

April 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • f

Almost anything Muslim is pretty scary..........

April 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mantou Willingsly

The Islamic groups in the UK are different from the Islamic groups in the US.

April 14, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hathaway

Exactly. It's my opinion that ethnicity really means nothing; what is really important are cultural factors like language and religion. I really don't care if in 10-20 years whites are a minority on a national scale, as long as our precarious situation as a secular, English-speaking country isn't threatened. I don't care about my neighbor's skin color, it means nothing. I do care if my neighbors can't speak a language that I can understand or if they tell me Allah spits on me and start demanding dhimmi. If that happens, our civil peace will be a thing of the past.

April 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

The coming non-white majority in the US is doing, and will continue to do, far more damage to this country than Muslims ever will. Was it Muslims that turned large areas of US cities into cesspools?

The Muslim problem is an immigration problem. Secure US borders and enforce immigration law, and Muslims will be kept in their native lands, no problem.

April 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. FFFF

Really this is nothing new. The urban area known as the city haven't had many whites living there for years. Whites are still 200 million plus in the country.

April 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sasha

Agreed; I don't get the panic over this. There are good people and bad people; skin color has nothing to do with it. But it sure is a lot of fun reading these posts; OMG.

April 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kansas Jack

I thought Hispanics were White. If not, what race are they?

April 14, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

Hispanics are only "white" when it comes to crime stats. Perps with a heavy dose of Central American Indian ancestry are often listed as "white."

The vast majority of Hispanics are mestizos or tri-racial, and obviously not white.

April 14, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tewrobert

I dont think anyone needs to fear or jump for joy in our lifetimnes cause you will all be dead,

I dont have a racist child in my family and maybe things will be better for al involved,

or maybe Just maybe the South shall rise again 🙂

April 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • f

I must agree with you. My 14 and 11 year olds are (to me) surprisingly happy with living in a very diverse neighborhood and school. They have many freinds of different backgrounds, cultures, colors, religions, etc. I grew up in a 100% white town on Long Island that was about 75% Christian and my dad was like Archie Bunker. I still remember the first time my little sister saw a black person when we were in the supermarket. She kept asking my Dad why that little girl in the store (about her age) was all brown ! It surprises me to see my kids growing up with such a different viewpoint. They don't even mention the race card.

April 14, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ron

my only point is you white utopian enablers if you ask me really. you white utopians and anything goes crowd. really havent stopped to think it over. what this means. to be a deposed majority. where these latinos "dont" have to respect us anymore....and just casually want to. you dont know what it means to have latino cops , stealing all over the place, abusing. mayors. land lords , land owners , managers everything. You dont cause most you liberal utopian whites didnt grow up around it.

and have no idea! what your asking for. no idea......

but youll find out........lloll.....

not me im ping ping ping like richocheeee rabbit im out of here ............

austrilia...............

April 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassypants

I don't disagree with you at all. The other thing I would add to this is that they have made white people their slaves through a welfare state. It is reverse discrimination and they are perfectly happy with it as long as it flows in one direction. Whites pay to subsidize their choice to have 5 babies and they eventually outnumber us and we have no voice. Anyone that supports the welfare state does not deserve to live in this country.

April 14, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Howie2g

Australia doesn't want you.

They know how to write a proper sentence and have better grammar.

April 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassypants

I lived in San Diego for a while. On one hand, I enjoyed the diversity because it is nice to meet new and different people but on the other hand I did not enjoy it. The people out there are a dysfunctional mess and they don't even realize it. I'm glad to be back in my home state with other people like me.

April 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sasha

that is such an ignorant comment i dont even wan tot reply further
      except i think it would be better if you did leave to australia so we dont have to listen to your uneducated comments

April 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassypants

People wonder why there are so many mental health problems.. try working in just the right diverse environment and you'll understand why.

April 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Right on, Ron! The libs are clueless as to what's coming and when they finally realize what's happened it'll be too late. But even Australia has problems with illegal immigration from some really nasty places like Indonesia. The vermin swarming into Australia are Moslems and that always spells trouble. Good luck!

April 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Ron is the poster child for all the reasons you should pay attention in school and not drop out. I don't care what ethnicity you or your children are. Just please make sure your children pay attention in school.

April 14, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • domino

I agree with you. I'm not white but I've dealt with Latino//hispanics and its scary when they are in power. Just look across the border in Mexico. Corrupt, rude. Mexicans are more racist than whites.

April 14, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

agreed. blacks do nothing except steal my money and make the nba exciting. both of which i could live without.

April 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NJNICK

In America most educated affluent WHITE couples I've met have one or two children. Since WHITE folk(of which I am one) are primarily more affluent than their minority counterparts, it stands to reason that over time WHITE people will lose their ability to be the majority, as we are now witnessing. Minority couples are apparently having more than the required two replacement value children. Now that they are becoming the majority they will have strong backing for the Candidates of their choosing. This Country was founded by immigrants and this change is only the natural progression of America.

April 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mister C

NJNICK, that was one of the most educated statements that I've read regarding the influx of minorities in America. Yes, indeed this country was founded by immigrants. The significant increase of Hispanics and the rest of the minority groups is the natural progression of America. Just like you stated in your comment. Unfortunately, many Whites don't want to accept that fact.

April 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassypants

Natural progression would be coming here legally like my in-laws did and working your way up the chain through your own merit. Anything other than that is not natural progression is highway robbery of the American Taxpayer and discrimination against white people.

April 14, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mauibucky

I agree, NJNICK. I live in Hawaii. White folks have always been a minority here. All the froth- at- the- mouth racists should be required to live here for 5 years. It would starighten out their ridiculous notions of superiority.

April 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stan13

NJ cannot stand for New Jersey Nick, because all of my years living there I have never met someone that was as smart!! Thanks for restoring my faith in NJ..Ur post was enlightening!!

April 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oobsku

The immigrants that initially came to America all wanted to work hard to build a new life for themselves in the US and had respect for one another. Many of the immigrants from Mexico and these third world countries come here illegally and send money back to their own countries and do not care about America. They don't respect us, or our culture. Don't see how that's a natural progression. Go to Mexico and break the law or ask for directions on something you buy in American and see what happens to you.

April 14, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

It's really very simple - the more Third World your population becomes, the more your country will resemble the Third World.

It's not a question of language or culture. It's race, and it goes way deeper than skin color. Sad that a lot of naive types are going to learn this the hard, hard way.

April 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corey

@ OGBSKU, you need to read up on your history a little more. Back in the day when Irish, Italian, ect. came it wasn't all hunky dory. They fought each other and racism was alive and well between them. And just like now the people that had already been here were crying the same tune you are now. At the time they were coming from impoverished nations just like the hispanics do now. Plus if we had the immigration laws that we have now the chances of your forefathers getting in would be drastically decreased. I have a German friend who's father is American and has been trying to get U.S. citizenship for the past ten years.

April 14, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Navyman

You could go leave now and dont come back.

April 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Callmeishmael

Dumba**

April 14, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tewrobert

Ps I will be dead too LOL

April 14, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Barry Soetoro

And we wonder why they're decaying decrepit cesspools of welfare and corruption.

April 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Callmeishmael

Great, another undereducated, inbred racist teabagging birther. I'll take the minorities over you. More of you is the LAST thing America needs.

April 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Breed11

Wow CNN loves to rile things up. Even though this info has been there for a while, let all the white folks who didn't see this before, to see it now, and say something offensive about the Latinos and Asians coming in. Then turn that into an article about racism still being alive in this country. Just let it go, we are not gonna deport all these people.

April 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Callmeishmael

Exactly...cnn should not be feeding the trolls.

April 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

@: Callmeishmael...: right on imbecile...

April 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wade

So a troll is someone who messes up "your" thread with opinions you don't like.

Ask yourself - what's a better place to live, your typical all-white area or your typical all-black area?

Come on, it's not that hard to understand, unless you make it that way.

April 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Just Canadian Please

@Lila
    I never said Canada wasn't stolen from Natives, of course it was. I've seen first hand the devastation it has caused them as a people.

@Dick Hertz
    Sorry but Pamela Anderson is the "fugliest" Canadian we could send over. I could name a few more or you good just read a book or something.

@DRTSAT
    Yes Canada is bigger in land mass only. It's so sad not having enough population to use all the Oil, Lumber and fresh water we sell to the US. In fact we have so much Oil, we were the number one supplier to the US last time I checked.

April 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |