April 14th, 2011

New York, San Diego no longer have white majorities

New census data confirm that some major metropolitan areas flipped from majority white to majority populations of minorities during the past decade.

White people are now in the minority in 46 of the nation's 366 metro areas, including New York, Washington, San Diego, Las Vegas and Memphis, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

That number is up from 32 in 2000, 10 in 1990 and nine in 1980, Frey said.

The changes are a result of relatively slow growth among the white population, white people moving outside metropolitan areas, and huge increases in minority populations, especially Hispanic and Asian, he said.

Recent analysis also showed white children are in the minority in 10 states.

"[The 2010 Census figures] show we’re becoming a more diverse nation, especially in our metropolitan areas, and it's filtering out from there," Frey said.

The Census Bureau previously released the data for cities, counties and states, but data calculated for metropolitan areas and regions might give people a more accurate understanding of where they live, Frey said.

For example, while the population of the city of Atlanta grew by about 3,500, the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta metro area, as the Census Bureau calls it, grew by more than 1 million. The Houston and Dallas areas also had growth of more than 1 million, while the Phoenix and Riverside, California, areas both added more than 900,000.

See the fastest-growing metro areas.

"As we become much more of a suburban nation, the kind of glue that puts the community together is the idea of the metropolitan community," he said.

Looking at metro areas also can offer a deeper view of how people live in different areas. Frey has used statistics about metropolitan areas to calculate the most segregated areas in the country. In terms of white and black, the most segregated areas were around Milwaukee, New York, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.

Read more of CNN's Defining America coverage

Post by:
Filed under: Census
soundoff (1,225 Responses)
  1. brenda

Its because white people only have kids they can afford and blacks/latino breed like rabbits from age 14 on, and expect the gov't to pay for it. 60% of black kids are born to single mothers and that statistic hasn't changed much for 3 decades.

April 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • TIRED OF RACISM AND BIAS

You're right. Blacks and Hispanics do have a high percentage of children because they choose to HAVE their children and not ABORT/KILL their children. Since everybody seems to know the statistics on the percentage of chldren being born and to what race, why has there not been a statistical study done on which race gets the most abortions? You know why, because whites get the most abortions!!! That's why the media doesn't put a spotlight on race and abortions!!! White people if you're so scared of being in the minority then HAVE your children instead of KILLING THEM!!!

April 14, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • TIRED OF RACISM AND BIAS

DDDD

April 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • TIRED OF RACISM

April 14, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. My name is Barack Obama and my social security number is...

042-68-4425

I never lived in CONNECTICUT, but somehow I got this number.

April 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JP

They should just rename New York City. New Dominician Republic Free Welfare, Food Stamps and Health Care City. It's disgusting.

April 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • fcprop

I hate to agree with you, but you are so right..

April 14, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jojo

black people learned how to steal from white people. white people are the biggest criminals and very good at covering up.blaming it on black people.
    you store all the money before recession and then put a black man to take the blame.crooks!!!! shame.you should start taking responsibility for your wrongs .this is why the arabs are at war with white people.

April 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guester

Not very smart are you?

April 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

April 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nick

And you know what, not a single one of us white New Yorkers give a good god damned if we are the minority. We are Americans first, New Yorkers second and white people last. Bring on the change. This economy needs it.

April 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • brenda

I think thats great. Unfortunatey, black people are black people first, New yorkers second, and American's last...eh, excuse me "african Americans". They want to be treated equally, but demand special treatment and want you to call them African Americans....hey people, we are all from Africa. Some (whites) took the northern route, some the direct route. Plus, its funny that black people are the most racist people in America. The black people in my work area only say hi to blacks when we go out to lunch, dinner, yet the whites say hello to everyone.

April 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

What does the economy have to do with what race you are? Dumbest thing I've heard all day.

April 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellie

@Brenda, Excuse me but I'm black and I don't need you or anyone speaking for me. I also happen to be a New Yorker. As Nick says this is the order in which I view myself..American, New yorker, then black. I'm tired of non-blacks and blacks thinking they have the right speak for me. I'm an individual with my own thoughts and feelings. Thank you very much.

April 14, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

Well said.

April 14, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Phil

I find it ironic that the government is trying so hard to make racism disappear, yet all they can talk about is race. Not only that, but they're racist against white people. I don't care what fancy name you give it, when you give a job or promotion to a black man or a hispanic over a more qualified white man just because of their race, it's racism. Period.

April 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marc F.

It's too bad there is no group out there to stand up for the oppressed Protestant white man. Oh, wait, there is...it's called the Ku Klux Klan.

April 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • jojo

Soon asians , arabs, blacks latinos and indians will stop fighting each other on drug deals and focus on destroying the kkk.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are working on that. the guns we got are meant for kkk , ooooopps, carried away and shot a brother who screwed up on a deal. dont worry , im gonna point it back where the bullet belongs .kkk 'head and there families.

April 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • JANE

You sound like the kKK

April 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. VIVA LA RAZA!!!

Si Se Puede! Si Se Puede!

BorderInvasionPics.com

April 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Take your racist La Raza crap back to Mexico. Your race isn't superior to anyone.

April 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • john sanchez

how are indians the "race" when they nearly got wiped out.

April 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chaz Romano (not real name. take that CNN)

im jewish, i got nothing to worry about.:D

April 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ghostality

I think Jews ROCK!

April 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Swede

It was primarily Jews who rewrote America's laws, immigration and otherwise, to damage whites.

They don't seem to realize that non-whites just see them as another breed of white. They'll learn, the hard way.

April 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ron

white male i'm blaming you...................and your people. you keep moving........!!!!.......when you guys stop moving. then they
    stop moving in. you don't have to do anything. we can do it ourselves. by stop moving. next by by shooping where they shop. by living where they live. eventually they leave.

but if you keeep moving. they are going to follow you.....lloll.....ask

white who live in virginia tennesee north carolina ....they got followed.....now 220 000 latinos............

you guys have to stand your ground. when you do it changes.

April 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cribster

Good, now can I finally get my gubbment cheese?

April 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ghostality

If the truth was known, everyone on this board would probably find something attractive about another race. If people would be honest with one another, we'd realize that the diversity living here is so awesome. There may be a few culture clashes here and there. But it isn't anything that couldn't be resolved with a little communication. And the pride thing has got to go. A race that has too much pride winds up being too cliquish and stubborn.

Look how beautiful the features are in every single race on the planet. It isn't the physical thing I believe gets everyone riled up. It's the 'mind' thing or fear of being rejected.

Can you imagine Ricky Gervais's movie The Invention Of Lying? What if the world was like that. I bet you'd hear a white man compliment a black man on how toned he was. Or a black woman complimenting a white one for the color of her hair and on and on and on. If only we could be honest with each other about stuff like that, I feel things would be so much better. Everyone here looks good to me. I just hope we can just enjoy each other while we are here before it's too late.

April 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassypants

My experience has been that if you don't share the same values, I don't care what color you are.. it just doesn't work. I now choose not to be around people who do not share my values.

April 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassypants

I am married to a half mexican and I am white. I think God gave us races for a reason so there is nothing wrong with have some pride and maintaining some heritage. It is normal for people to want to be around people who are like them. The forced diversity thing stems from ignorance.

April 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TT

CNN doesn't care about white people.

April 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • I do care about ME

CNN has being invaded by people from India, mostly any one working there are ugly looking from India, with a terrible accent. to name a few. dr.gupta, and others. they come as a students and stay illegally until CNN gives them jobs.

April 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ron

stand your ground

April 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TomS

What this means is that the cities mentioned will become undesirable, crime infested cesspools like Detroit did. There will be the inner city, the "black hole," surrounded by the suburban cities where the whites and the higher end of the minorities move to. Hey call me whatever, but you all KNOW, if you are honest with yourselves, what is right there in front of your faces. It isn't high science to figure it out, but the intellectual elitists, (you know, no common sense or street smarts)... yes those deep thinkers who waste so much time thinking so much, they come up with some of the worst, idiotic ideas on how we're to "get along." Face it folks, people tend to stick with their own, and nothing disgusts me more than whites who, with their chests puffed out in pride, avoid other whites and say things like "all my friends are brown and red." This insidious disease of self loathing and self righteousness, along with the anti-freedom PC climate abounding nowadays has to be stopped. This habit of spinning reality into what they wish for is killing us. Oh I could go on, but it's really hopeless... too many stupid people who believe in the Government Fairy...

April 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Canadian Please

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head. Thinking is for idiots and no one should try "to get along"! Sounds exactly like what your founding fathers had in mind when they formed your country. If you already haven't yet, you should think about joining the militia as well because we all know "the big race war" is coming. Or you could read a book or something and free yourself from your prison of ignorance. I'm just sayin'!

April 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |