April 14th, 2011

New York, San Diego no longer have white majorities

New census data confirm that some major metropolitan areas flipped from majority white to majority populations of minorities during the past decade.

White people are now in the minority in 46 of the nation's 366 metro areas, including New York, Washington, San Diego, Las Vegas and Memphis, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

That number is up from 32 in 2000, 10 in 1990 and nine in 1980, Frey said.

The changes are a result of relatively slow growth among the white population, white people moving outside metropolitan areas, and huge increases in minority populations, especially Hispanic and Asian, he said.

Recent analysis also showed white children are in the minority in 10 states.

"[The 2010 Census figures] show we’re becoming a more diverse nation, especially in our metropolitan areas, and it's filtering out from there," Frey said.

The Census Bureau previously released the data for cities, counties and states, but data calculated for metropolitan areas and regions might give people a more accurate understanding of where they live, Frey said.

For example, while the population of the city of Atlanta grew by about 3,500, the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta metro area, as the Census Bureau calls it, grew by more than 1 million. The Houston and Dallas areas also had growth of more than 1 million, while the Phoenix and Riverside, California, areas both added more than 900,000.

See the fastest-growing metro areas.

"As we become much more of a suburban nation, the kind of glue that puts the community together is the idea of the metropolitan community," he said.

Looking at metro areas also can offer a deeper view of how people live in different areas. Frey has used statistics about metropolitan areas to calculate the most segregated areas in the country. In terms of white and black, the most segregated areas were around Milwaukee, New York, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland.

Read more of CNN's Defining America coverage

Post by:
Filed under: Census
soundoff (1,225 Responses)
  1. Joe

Great article! I'm white and am now looking forward to college scholarships because I'm white, lower priced housing, and maybe even some reparations. I deserve it. I'm a minority.
    Wait what's that? I have to feel guilty the rest of my life for being white? darn.

April 15, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
    • YankeeRabbit

Don't you understand yet Joe? Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

April 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • DoctorZX

you dont have to do that Joe. Be true to yourself and you'll have no regrets.

April 15, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linds

Joe, you don't have to feel guilty for the rest of your life for being white now. That's the beauty of it. Now we can finally join the rest of the ethnicities and be proud of our race and claim minority status! I'm looking forward to some scholarships for sure.... if anything it's reparation for all of the reverse racism we have been forced to endure as a result of affirmative action. I may be female, but it has done me no favors - I still get passed over in favor of quotas or for a latino or African-American female. We were once called a displaced majority, unable to claim pride in our race or heritage while everyone else reveled in theirs, reaped the benefits and rubbed our noses in it and said we were to blame for something our ancestors (not MY ancestors, they were in Europe!) did to them. It's time to end affirmative action. Was the goal to seek equality? If so, then these statistics show that by the sheer numbers the game is over.

April 15, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Belisario

I have been one of so called whites that was shut out of equal opportunity's of employment when I was 20. Now at 52 and unemployed again what life is 75% over and you just now see the problem.

April 19, 2011 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bob Dobbs

Looks like the government's ethnic cleansing program is a rousing success.

April 15, 2011 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • DeniseBarber

Or utter disaster, in terms of Civilizational consequences...

April 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • YankeeRabbit

Its a success if you measure it in terms of white genocide...

April 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Craigster

Nothing has really changed except the boundaries have expanded, people still self segregate based upon their cultural values, friends and family. It used to be in city neighborhoods today it is larger county or multi-county metropolitan areas instead.

April 15, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Herb Gray

Like most veterans of World War II, I married, had four kids and created the "boomer" generation. They became more interested in themselves and their own comfort and possessions than in having children, so the white population has failed to even replace itself. And now some of them are complaining because minorities are taking over?? We had better learn to live with it, since I don't see the grandkids of our "greatest generation" having anywhere enough children to replace themselves, never mind increase the white population.. We better learn to live with it. We are going to be a multi-racial country, like it or not!!

April 15, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • George Leo Merkley IX

Sad in this country the only way you know you are right in so many people tell you your wrong.
      Keep Up the good work. Also it would be interesting to know who you fought and which rifle you were issued.

April 15, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • DeniseBarber

Herb – YOUR generation taught your kids to be selfish. And any gradchildren you have will suffer the consequences of YOUR idiocy. They won't like what they have to deal with at all. I curse you, for your treachery. You've already cursed your heirs. Don't worry – your kind will die out. Due to your actions.

April 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • coolbreeze

ummm, I think america is a multi-cultural nation already. That is fine with me. The problem is if your breaking the law and are here illegally go back to your country and wait in line. Like the rest of us have done!!!

April 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Herb Gray

As a vet fro World War II who had 4 kids, I'm disgusted with the racist comments being posted on this subject. If us whites don't have kids, we can't expect to remain a majority. New white couples, faced with the choice between children or adult toys and pets, choose toys and pets, so what can you expect. Minorities who love children more than aduly toys and pets and care for them in loving families will replace us, like it or not.

April 15, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • 63rdPatriot

Love children more than pets and toys? Are you really an idiot Herb? They have no control over how many kids they pop out and it makes no difference to them that I am paying for them. Look at the prison populations Herb. They must REALLY love their children as they raise them so well. Look at the education Herb. What are these people that LOVE their children so much doing? Living off MY tax dollars. Get my point HERB.....

April 15, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • A. Levy

It sounds like your helmet is a bit too tight there Herb. Perhaps you left your common sense overseas, assuming you made it out of Ft. Dixx. What a nitiwt!

April 15, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • DeniseBarber

Herb sounds like a troll, or he suffers dementia. He OBVIOUSLY has no idea how minorities actually treat children and animals. As far as popping out kids – the kids represent a Gub'mint paycheck more than anything else.

April 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • GatoLoco

An honest and true statement sir.

April 16, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  6. will III

Man, some white people are seriously nuts.

April 15, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Belisario

Not nuts, just poor and still paying for you with my life

April 19, 2011 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. Johnny

So can I finally stop feeling guilty about how evil I am for doing my part in slavery or is that guilt a lifetime thing?

April 15, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • EmilyN

White guilt is just a passive-aggressive excuse to be paranoid that you're going to be oppressed by a generalized group of people who are worried you're just another hysterical racist guy in the neighborhood. I'm part "white" and I found out my ancestors in the Confederacy owned a plantation and I don't "suffer" from "white guilt" because I for one have not done anything myself, I'm mixed race so I have people from all sorts of heritage stalking my family, throwing smoke bombs, physical assault, phone calls, death threats, police harassment, job discrimination etc. And yet I'm also now supposed to feel guilty over something some of my Euro-American ancestors did over in Georgia? If it makes you feel better, your Euro-american ancestors probably couldn't afford slaves, were working in a factory or sharecropping on my family's land. Most Euro-americans with "white guilt" are ignoring the possibility that they come from a long line of poor people that couldn't afford slaves or only recently came into contact with native american indians by visiting a casino like last week. Unless you yourself have actually been racist to someone then you shouldn't be all "boo hoo white guilt" when you're probably a little bit mixed race yourself with a secret slave or native american indian ancestor. I really enjoy being mixed race and not having to worry about this stupid conceit of "whiteness" as a hangup alot of you mostly euro-Americans have. It's such a delusion that you all think you're completely "white." I mean, I'm probably as big of a snob as my ancestors who did own slaves but one, I treat everyone fair until they act like a jerk and I know that in the past, my ancestors probably made life hell for your ancestors, the ones just arrived from Ellis Island ending up as share croppers to my family. Wow, I do feel better.

April 17, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Constantchange

Whites are not fools, they have abandoned these cities because the writing was on the wall. Expect white migratiion patterns to result in stronger states that will eventually rebel against a corrupt and thieving governing class that promotes diversity. Remember, diversity only requires that whites give up anything. Already talk of succession in certain states gaining steam. As the migration pattern continues, this theme will grow. In an attempt to retain white capital, Federal government will attempt to crush this resistance. History will repeat itself, a civil war is coming... book it.

April 15, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • coolbreeze

sounds like a kkk movement to me!!!

April 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tommy

Well, there goes the neighborhood.

April 15, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Josephine

OMG we need to stop immigration from non-white Christian countries!!

April 15, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. jommt

no oneis blaming the jews they are the ones keeping the race war alive, the jews hate white ppl and they want nothing more then to see the white ppl out of the usa, Do you really think the jews just love blacks and browns no they hate white ppl!

April 15, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. human

Does it mater what color we are. We are humans. It's 2011 get over the color of people. Stop blaming other people for your problems. it Takes time for change it will never change if you keep blaming other people. Stop all the childish stuff and grow up. Us humans are doing what they want staying apart fighting among are selves and its stupid you guys fall for it

April 15, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • A. Levy

Yes Human, i agree. BTW, is there any room down there in the sand for my head to go next to yours?

April 15, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • John L

I see much higher levels of dysfunction; crime, educational underperformance, drop out rates, gang violence, and dependency in areas that have the new "vibrant" demographics. As demographic replacement continues apace, formerly isolated pockets of dysfunction transition to being the norm, ala Detroit and increasingly Los Angeles. I think we're headed for third world status within 20 years or so. You don't replace a first world population with a third world population and not expect third world dysfunction. What could possibly go wrong?

April 16, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
    • resist dot com

Hah tell that to the Mexicans that "color" (race) doesn't matter.

resist.com <-- racist site

Aryan Update Line – 574-267-5036

April 16, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joe

When is this racial foolishness going to end?????

April 15, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • MST

You're going to get many racist comments when an article links from Drudge.

April 15, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Uninterested

@MST- Funny, you would have to link here from Drudge in order to know that, so you are calling the kettle black. Nice try moron.

April 15, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • CSM

It will reach the east end of the pendulm and start it swing back in about twenty years, when the baby boomers are all dead or lie dying.

April 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bogie

If whites didn't work and just laid around and freeloaded off the gov't. they could breed like rabbits as the hispanics and blacks do and then the whites would be a majority again. The problem with that is most whites have self respect and don't want something for nothing.

April 15, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • MST

Hmm - I'm an African American woman who is a college graduate and works two jobs. In fact, I've been working since I was sixteen. I have ONE child, a daughter, by my husband. She is graduating from college in May (third generation) and we had to take out tens of thousands in student loans in order to finance her education. So please, which part of your post ("freeloading" and "breeding like rabbits") applies to me?

April 15, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • coolbreeze

you're and idiot!!

April 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. s kel

to most white bigots on here & out there whinning, if your sooooo upset why dont u just kill your selfs. It would b the right thing to do. Need any help?

April 15, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Monty

To be young and stupid. You do both well s kel

April 15, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • DeniseBarber

You kill yourself s kel. Without Whites, you won't live for very long anyways.

April 15, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |