5 options for down-to-the-wire tax filers
April 18th, 2011

5 options for down-to-the-wire tax filers

Still haven't filed your tax returns? Americans have until midnight Monday to send them in, and even the worst of procrastinators still have time and opportunities to meet the deadline. Here are five ways to do it:

1) Did you make under $58,000? File electronically, with software assistance, free:

Electronically filing federal and state returns with tax software isn't just swift - it can be free for people whose adjusted gross income is $58,000 or less. Twenty companies are offering their tax software for federal returns through the IRS' website. Some other restrictions - such as age, state and military status - may apply, depending on the company. Some of these companies support free filing for state tax returns; some offer state service for a fee.

2) Made more than $58,000? File electronically for free, without software assistance:

If you made too much money to qualify for the software assistance, you still can file electronically for free. The IRS offers “Fillable Forms,” which are an electronic version of the paper IRS forms. Anyone can file these electronically with no cost. The catch is that it's similar to filling out paper forms - you need to know what you're doing. No software assistance here.

3) Buy software to file electronically:

If you made too much for option No. 1 and you don't have the confidence for option No. 2, you can buy tax preparation software at a store or online. File by midnight, and you're set.

4) Mail paper returns at post offices with late hours:

If you prefer the paper route, you probably can find a post office that will be open late. Here is a list of post offices that will have extended hours Monday, including those that will stay open until midnight.

5) File for an extension:

If you can't get your tax information together in time, file for an extension by midnight, either electronically or by mail.

Time.com: The 10 riskiest tax return moves

Post by: ,
Filed under: Taxes
  1. organically

If you get a federal tax refund of thousands of dollars, then you are an idiot!!! You should more or less break even or pay the IRS every April. Getting a large refund allows the federal government to hold your money for many months – interest free! Do you commit this stupid act every year? REVISE YOUR DEDUCTIONS TOMORROW AND AND GET YOUR MONEY WHEN YOU EARN IT!!!

April 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maya

Yeah, except for those of us who get a refund not because of deductions but because we live below FPL.

April 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

I take all the deductions allowed, and I still get a nice fat check. I am not an idiot, nor do I commit this stupid act year after year, organically, although I get a nice fat check year after year. I just have a very good accountant. Apparently, you don't. Sorry about that!

April 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. raven

Ot @banasy and Jazzzz. I wanted to respond to you both in the other blog but couldnt because it was too full. I too have lost twin sisters and 2 uncles to suicide. It was the last desperate act of people in pain both physical and emotional and i cant believe the insensitive comments made by some. anyway, even tho Ive not lost a child I too have suffered the loss of loved ones to suicide and my heart goes out to both of you.sincerely.

April 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazzzzzzzz

Much love back Raven

April 18, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. raven

Thank you jazzzzz, that means a lot.honest.

April 18, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. raven

I know Im gonna catch a ton of flack for sayin so but I actually had a good experience with the IRS. when I was younger(and much wilder) i didnt pay taxes on an inheritance i received for 8 years.when i finally realised how much trouble i could get into i called em.they settled for less than a third of what i actually owed. had ta pay it in a lump sum but was worth havin that monkey off my back.

April 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TheEconomyIsPerfect

Minus the whining about liberals having to work to pay for evolutionary Oil and alas Asian on the horizon democracy and Fox pretend revolts that have ended up as Foxgate privacy invasions and a whiny military that recieved every benefit that misinformation and high crimes could bring to it... and American best sellling Authors who write books
    about countries and people they know nothing about for those who needed even MORE pork excuses to terrorise the world > THE ECONOMY IS GREAT IN FACT > the old FOX mantra of 2008 "go out, kill it...drag it home"... has come true
    at last. The mantra of university WORK for life and that child support and that BIG car and THAT house of MOMS... has come true.... So then we of University age in AMERICA are SO FORTUNATE ABOVE ALL OTHERS to be free of the
    chaos these wise leaders of commerce and security created for all those OTHER people on our never ending cable T.V. subscriptions > how much you pay for that? 🙂

April 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TheEconomyIsPerfect

Speaking of which... interested in selling your NASCAR for some efficiency STARTER vehicle.... Illl buy it cheap from you
    as that is part of the ECONOMY of non CHAOS,.. and the proclaimed democracy. Who needs NASCAR when books and internet and beer and weekends at the crash car and live entertainment events and clothing and all the rest are so expensive? Do you want your government officials driving around in MEGA NASCAR with infinite perks?

April 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

OFT

@raven: I am so sorry for your losses. When loved ones die, the pain is almost insurmountable at times...yet we carry on, with the help of good friends like you. We may never meet, but we'll always have a connection. Love ya, sista! I mean that with all my heart!

April 18, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TheEconomyIsPerfect

My wife workds at a Safeway. She stole lot of beer. I got into it. Goood. I sell 12 Pack Miller Lite only $8. Who wants.

April 18, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leeintulsa

OT – Hey, CNN! This was Just In 2 days ago... Should we find some other blog?

April 20, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |