Seventh-day Adventist community loses Sunday mail delivery
Mail carriers won't be delivering in Loma Linda, California, next Sunday for the first time in 81 years.
April 18th, 2011

Seventh-day Adventist community loses Sunday mail delivery

Come next Sunday, residents of Loma Linda, California, will notice that something's missing on the streets - U.S. Postal Service mail carriers.

The community's 21,000 residents are predominantly Seventh-day Adventists, who observe the Sabbath on Saturday. For 81 years the post office went along, giving Loma Linda on Sundays the mail delivery that almost all of the country gets on Saturdays, according to local media reports.

But costs and technology are forcing an end to Sunday delivery, according to a report in The Press-Enterprise newspaper.

Carrier supervisor Duane Hubbard told the paper that the postal service's computers don't recognize Sunday as a workday, meaning the local office is unable to communicate with any other agency offices then.

Postal Service spokeswoman Eva Jackson told the Redlands Daily Facts that the Sunday schedule, included the extra pay carriers make for working Sundays, in addition to the agency's costs in a time of tight budgets.

"We're looking at everything right now, every way to reduce cost and still provide service," Jackson told the Daily Facts.

The move has angered some residents.

"It's an attack on God," resident Evangelina Pellecer told the Daily Facts. "My husband says he's going to put a cover over our mailbox saying, `Don't deliver on Saturday.' ... If they're delivering my mail, for me, they're violating my right not to do work on the Sabbath."

Informed by her carrier on Sunday that she'd get her mail on Saturdays from now on, resident Galina Rudenko was unhappy.

"Nobody works on Saturday," the Press-Enterprise quoted her as saying.

And some wanted to keep things that way, even if it meant no weekend mail service at all.

"Get rid of (Saturdays and) Sundays - we'll wait a day for our junk mail," resident Sylvia Sheppard told the Daily Facts.

Only two communities with Sunday delivery will remain. Jackson, the Postal Service spokeswoman, told the Daily Facts that post offices in Angwin, California, and Collegedale, Tennessee, both owned by Adventist churches, have contracts that guarantee no Saturday deliveries.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Religion • U.S. Postal Service
  1. ole Lady

Why don't postal workers just deliver 5 days a week? With Saturday and Sunday off could help save on gas. And give them a weekend off for family and friends.

April 18, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

The postal service has been asking to go to a 5 day week to cut costs but Congress won't let them. They are expected to compete with other carriers with their hands completely tied.

April 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessy

Pfft. the US Postal Service is primarily used for certified mail and standard mail (small or medium envelopes). The real breadwinner in UPS since almost every business in the US uses them deliver products. I know because I have worked in the accounting departments of manufacturing companies and distribution companies.

April 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jainTN

So what? Don't go to your mailbox on Saturdays. I don't care whether or not a bunch of sheeple go out to their mailboxes on Sunday. What's outrageous is that the post office has been giving these knuckleheads special treatment for years.

April 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkinFL

Especially since it in no way requires the recipients to work on Saturday. Just increases costs.

April 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Exactly, why should they get there mail on Sunday's when no one else does, and I don't feel sorry for the postal workers either. They should not get there mail on Sunday's, just becausse of there religion. I have a hard time getting my mail during the week from my carrier period.

April 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Just A Fact

Really how hard is it to just not get your mail? I forget to check my mail just about everyday!

April 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Canadian Genius

You guys get Saturday mail delivery? Holy crap. It's just M-F in Canada. Another poster said it's the same in Europe.

April 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Canadian Genius

"It's an attack on God," resident Evangelina Pellecer told the Daily Facts.

Don't worry Ms Pellecer. I'm sure God can defend himself.

April 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bhoffman6

Covering the mail box would be interfering with mail delivery which is a felony. Wouldn't it be fun to see...

April 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

If they cover it with some religeous symbol, I'm sure they'd be protected.

April 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessy

@Canadian Genius – oooh!! I'm so scared to put in this day's mail in the mailbox because someone apparently put a cross on the mailbox. I'm so scared.!!

April 18, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

"It's an attack on God!"??? Really? Oh, come on! Seems to me they want special priviledges because of their belief. I agree-go to your mailbox on Sunday, then. When one considers opening the mailbox and opening mail as "work", well. Just well....

@Just A Fact: LMAO! Me, too! But I'm working on it...

April 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

Privileges, I meant to say.

April 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Canadian Genius

I have a hard time keeping track of all of these cults. Is this the one that allows you to marry several of your own 14 year old cousins, or is it the one that won't use electricity and keeps building barns.

April 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessy

From what I read in the bible, i would say the ones that allow the most incest.

April 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • z-man

There is nothing wrong in marrying your cousin. It has been practised since beginning of time. I married my paternal cousin and we have beautiful 6 children.. sneezy..dopey...bashful....yoda...

April 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey

Members of some of these religions, as a form of faith and submitting to God's will, make the choice of letting their children die rather than allowing then to receive blood transfusions.

April 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • asknot

I believe you're thinking of Latter-day Saints. Adventists have built hospitals all over the world and certainly allow blood transfusions.

April 19, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. z-man

@ Canadian Genius.. That would be the Mormon Sects and the Amish. U ain't a genius after all. Stop impostering a genius.

April 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • z-man

"Impostering"..that sounded stupid but the proper word is not coming to my mind.

April 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Possum007

Jehovah's Witlesses too. The mixing of blood is sin. So you can take that two ways– transfusions and miscegenation. The more to become indignant about, the merrier!

April 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Just lumping them all together. It's fun to do, especially when they are all religious pacifists.

April 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Impersonating.

April 18, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • LDSareChristian

The LDS (Mormon) church does not allow or permit multiple marriages. They excommunicate any that do.

It is the FLDS sect which practice polygamy. When discussing the LDS (Mormon) faith and this topic, please make this distinction. Deliberately neglecting such, is a sin of omission.

April 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@LDsare – it's ur sin to hear it? Can't be my sin to say it.. Free speech, they say, is my 'god given' right.. I consider them all cults. To some god or other.. Funny thing is they say it's the same god.. Don't u think an all-powerfull being could make it clear how and when it wanted to be praised and worshipped? It's all someone's scheme to make money

April 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. z-man

Well, talking about doing foolish things. When Christians drink wine to depict Jesus' blood and eat bread to depict his flesh, Isn't that cannibalism? So the SDA are not any more foolish then mainstream Christianity.

April 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LDSareChristian

Not anymore cannibalism then a candy cigarette is smoking.

April 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

You got that right. Not any less foolish, either

April 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

Posing, perhaps!

April 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • z-man

"posing" is better than "impostering"..definitely.. perhaps there is something better than "posing".

April 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Is "posting" better than "posing"?

April 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

But I love CG, so leave CG alone.

April 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • z-man

OK. CG's off limits. Shall I call a priest before your love dies out?

April 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

@z-man: Lmao! And I'll try to come up with a better word. That you're NOT going to use. 😉

April 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |