Seventh-day Adventist community loses Sunday mail delivery
Mail carriers won't be delivering in Loma Linda, California, next Sunday for the first time in 81 years.
April 18th, 2011

Seventh-day Adventist community loses Sunday mail delivery

Come next Sunday, residents of Loma Linda, California, will notice that something's missing on the streets - U.S. Postal Service mail carriers.

The community's 21,000 residents are predominantly Seventh-day Adventists, who observe the Sabbath on Saturday. For 81 years the post office went along, giving Loma Linda on Sundays the mail delivery that almost all of the country gets on Saturdays, according to local media reports.

But costs and technology are forcing an end to Sunday delivery, according to a report in The Press-Enterprise newspaper.

Carrier supervisor Duane Hubbard told the paper that the postal service's computers don't recognize Sunday as a workday, meaning the local office is unable to communicate with any other agency offices then.

Postal Service spokeswoman Eva Jackson told the Redlands Daily Facts that the Sunday schedule, included the extra pay carriers make for working Sundays, in addition to the agency's costs in a time of tight budgets.

"We're looking at everything right now, every way to reduce cost and still provide service," Jackson told the Daily Facts.

The move has angered some residents.

"It's an attack on God," resident Evangelina Pellecer told the Daily Facts. "My husband says he's going to put a cover over our mailbox saying, `Don't deliver on Saturday.' ... If they're delivering my mail, for me, they're violating my right not to do work on the Sabbath."

Informed by her carrier on Sunday that she'd get her mail on Saturdays from now on, resident Galina Rudenko was unhappy.

"Nobody works on Saturday," the Press-Enterprise quoted her as saying.

And some wanted to keep things that way, even if it meant no weekend mail service at all.

"Get rid of (Saturdays and) Sundays - we'll wait a day for our junk mail," resident Sylvia Sheppard told the Daily Facts.

Only two communities with Sunday delivery will remain. Jackson, the Postal Service spokeswoman, told the Daily Facts that post offices in Angwin, California, and Collegedale, Tennessee, both owned by Adventist churches, have contracts that guarantee no Saturday deliveries.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Religion • U.S. Postal Service
  1. banasy

I don't *love* love CG, I just love CG. You're still cracking me up with the priest comment, though, z-man!

April 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • z-man

I was hoping for a smile but if I cracked you up then it's even better. Keep smiling (or cracking as the case might be).

April 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

Thanks for the love, even if it's not "love". I'll take what I can get. Spring is late here in Alberta.

April 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. z-man

I gotta admit. I wait for the postman everyday looking out from my home-office window till he arrives and then I will rush to the door. If it's anything useful like a check.. I'll keep it and if it's junk mail or bills then I do the civil thing and put it in my neighbor's mailbox.

April 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

Both, z-man, both!

What I do with my junk mail is this: my mailman always parks his truck in front of my house, and delivers my mail first, then goes on to do the entire street. I get my mail and sneak the junk mail back into his truck. Confused the heck out of him, but I think he's onto me. Oh, well, he's cool. I just have to make sure it's him and not a sub. (Although it would be fun to confuse the subs...hmmmm). I like your idea though...maybe I'll do it to *my* neighbors, too! 🙂

April 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

@Canadian Genius: lol.

April 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. z-man

Ok. Gotta go. Need to pick up dopey from school. See you in cyber-space. Take care and be good... real good.

April 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Adam

Mail is delivered on Sundays?

O_o

April 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry Seinfeld

(Shrug) Oh well...

April 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dim Mak

I smell a lawsuit. Most people who work Sunday get a shift premium and the post office needs to pinch pennies, plus I'm sure there are carriers whom would rather not work Sunday. There are many different religions and if the world operated to cater each one of them then nothing would get done. Don't get me started on how many different sects there are within each religion either. If something is the word of God then you can't really determine how you interpret it.

April 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

@z-man: I'm *always* good. And when'm I'm not good, I'm better!

@Canadian Genius: impersonating! Yes! That's what the word is!

Oh, it's still love. Get it anyway you can. 😉

Spring is way late here in the Chitown region, too. Kind of tired of the cold, already. Bleh!

April 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • z-man

Impersonating. That's it. Darn word just wasn't coming into my head. Thank you so much.

April 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

"When". Spell much, banasy?

April 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. z-man

Just picked Dopey from school while Sneezywalked home. And now, Sneezy has a cold due to the freezing weather here in Montreal. I think the word "spring" has been removed from the dictionary.

April 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dim Mak

@LDS: So why don't good christians go after the "cult" like ones that harm children or seek multiple statutory r-ape style marriages? Many christian opinion journalists ask the same of muslims (rightfully so) and I would like to see the same within the christian community. It seems that when you target a christian for their slimy behavior they will start quoting scripture and back off any mindless sheep that fear they may be "casting stones". I don't really see how mormons are even christians anymore, because they have a different prophet. I basically see it as a way for a con man to get christians to join his cult so he acts like he's still following the teachings of Jeezy Christo

April 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PattyS

I am an SDA but have never lived in a community that was predominantly Adventist like those mentioned. So I get my mail on Saturday, and it's my choice what if anything I will look at. The carrier is going to work anyway because most people in my community are not SDAs. However, in a town that's virtually Adventist, such as the town mentioned (population 21,000) they are making someone work to deliver their mail, which some may consider a violation of the 4th Commandment. If non-SDAs can get six days of mail, it is not a stretch that SDAs would also get six days of mail, as they are tax-payers like everyone else. It would be interesting to know how many carriers would want that extra shift on Sunday to earn more money or to get a Saturday off instead (however the post office manages it). As far as using electricity and water goes, since I saw that mentioned in some posts, those utilities are manned by workers who are going to work anyway. The SDAs are not making anyone work specifically for their behalf even though electricity and water are necessities.

April 18, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dim Mak

@Patty: Respectfully the SDA's are being hypocrites in this situation. Logic escapes some in the religious community, because many believe reading only one book is better than reading many. God is knowledge not some dumb mystic floating on a cloud devouring cute baby lambs.

April 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dame Makedonski

On thousands of open forums on Internet a lot of people are criticizing Muslims that are "brain washed" because they are following rules constructed 15 centuries ago. The same "brain wash" etiquette can be given to Seventh Day Adventists (as well as to every strict religion that is following some imaginary rules produced centuries ago). As Muslims, Seventh-day Adventist are also modern zealots, following a mixture of rules written 30, and 25 and 20 and 18 and 10 centuries ago. It is no surprise that their number has decreased rapidly in the last 20 years.

April 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • asknot

April 19, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dim Mak

@lee: Or the Devil's way of controlling people's souls.... Food for thought. Get man to sin in God's name then when man dies senor diablo gets a shiny new soul. It's actually quite clever in a sick twisted way.

April 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |