Seventh-day Adventist community loses Sunday mail delivery
Mail carriers won't be delivering in Loma Linda, California, next Sunday for the first time in 81 years.
April 18th, 2011

Seventh-day Adventist community loses Sunday mail delivery

Come next Sunday, residents of Loma Linda, California, will notice that something's missing on the streets - U.S. Postal Service mail carriers.

The community's 21,000 residents are predominantly Seventh-day Adventists, who observe the Sabbath on Saturday. For 81 years the post office went along, giving Loma Linda on Sundays the mail delivery that almost all of the country gets on Saturdays, according to local media reports.

But costs and technology are forcing an end to Sunday delivery, according to a report in The Press-Enterprise newspaper.

Carrier supervisor Duane Hubbard told the paper that the postal service's computers don't recognize Sunday as a workday, meaning the local office is unable to communicate with any other agency offices then.

Postal Service spokeswoman Eva Jackson told the Redlands Daily Facts that the Sunday schedule, included the extra pay carriers make for working Sundays, in addition to the agency's costs in a time of tight budgets.

"We're looking at everything right now, every way to reduce cost and still provide service," Jackson told the Daily Facts.

The move has angered some residents.

"It's an attack on God," resident Evangelina Pellecer told the Daily Facts. "My husband says he's going to put a cover over our mailbox saying, `Don't deliver on Saturday.' ... If they're delivering my mail, for me, they're violating my right not to do work on the Sabbath."

Informed by her carrier on Sunday that she'd get her mail on Saturdays from now on, resident Galina Rudenko was unhappy.

"Nobody works on Saturday," the Press-Enterprise quoted her as saying.

And some wanted to keep things that way, even if it meant no weekend mail service at all.

"Get rid of (Saturdays and) Sundays - we'll wait a day for our junk mail," resident Sylvia Sheppard told the Daily Facts.

Only two communities with Sunday delivery will remain. Jackson, the Postal Service spokeswoman, told the Daily Facts that post offices in Angwin, California, and Collegedale, Tennessee, both owned by Adventist churches, have contracts that guarantee no Saturday deliveries.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Religion • U.S. Postal Service
  1. leeintulsa

@Dim Mak: Being free enough to disregard someone's diety is also free enough to disregard the diety's nemesis. Did you ever read the Screwtape Letters? c.s. Lewis? Awesome..

April 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. leeintulsa

I should say this: no matter how dilusional I think some people are, they are free to be that way. And I'd fight and die to protect that freedom. And they can think of me whatever they like – free country..

April 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dame Makedonski

With this one I agree 100%. I will also always fight for their right to believe whatever they want. But that will not stop me to publicly debate and disagree with their zealous way of living in the modern 21st century.

April 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@Dame: well, obviously, me neither..lol.. I just know that it's easy to hurt feelers when you talk about things people have believed since childhood, and I don't want to be seen as a hater..;)

April 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dim Mak

@lee: Never read it, but I will look it up. I disregard all that I consider contradictory and hypocritical. You're missing my point though. I'm saying the deity and the nemesis are either one in the same or they are just buddies pretending to play cops and robbers on the world stage. There's a reason why drugs, guns and mindless entertainment is pushed upon the masses and it's to give the sheriff job security which in turn makes the sheriff just as guilty as the bandit. That's just my humble opinion of course.

April 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Hi Dim Mak...are you sure that's the problem? ("drugs, guns, mindless entertaiment being pushed upon the masses...) Are you positive that those things aren't what most people desire? Really, if the vast majority of US wanted wholesome entertainment free of violence and promiscuity, that's what would be "pushed". If they don't give us what we want...do we not change the channel?

April 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Yes Phillip, the mass media is giving us what they think the majority wants. The only way to fend off that is to do exatly what you do , NO TV. I do that every 6 months for 1 week ( no tv , no computer) Just books and music. It actually feels like all the noise of the world goes away. HAHA

April 18, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

I actually leave the city and go to the wilderness for about a week, and each time I'm amazed how much noise I left behind. Not just TV, but random background city noise like traffic, refrigerators, plumbing, etc.

April 18, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. red

I was raised as a Seventh-Day Adventist and went to their schools, some of the comments in this story is just plain dumb! Just because the mail is delievered on Sabbath doesn't mean it interupts anybody keeping Sabbath( except the carrier) and Evangelina Pellecer didn't sound like she worked for the Post Office. The Post Office isn't stopping her from keeping Sabbath, if it bothers her so much just don't get yr mail on Sabbath. Comments like this just make me so mad, there is much other things in the world that should be taking our time ( like homelessness, people going hungry) not really are really mad because our mail will be delievered on Sabbath & not Sunday. Some SDAs should get out of their bubbles & look @

April 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. red

I was raised as a Seventh-Day Adventist and went to their schools, some of the comments in this story is just plain dumb! Just because the mail is delievered on Sabbath doesn't mean it interupts anybody keeping Sabbath( except the carrier) and Evangelina Pellecer didn't sound like she worked for the Post Office. The Post Office isn't stopping her from keeping Sabbath, if it bothers her so much just don't get yr mail on Sabbath. Comments like this just make me so mad, there is much other things in the world that should be taking our time ( like homelessness, people going hungry) notwhether our mail will be delievered on Sabbath & not Sunday. Some SDAs should get out of their bubbles & look @ ways they can help people out.

April 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • embarrassed

Yep, from one SDA to another - YOU GO RED!!

April 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. what

April 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dim Mak

@Phillip: Just like brainwashed muslim children in Pakistan American children are equally brainwashed with immorality. They aren't really being given many other options. I know you're a narrow minded "Men are born into sin" bible thumper, so I won't even try to discuss this with you logically. Men are not born into sin they are groomed to be sinful. I can raise two genetically identical humans. One in a pleasant and sterile environment and the other among disease, depravity and violence. Which one would you rather have babysit your children? I'm quite sure I got many of my bad ideas from outside sources. I was made fun of for not knowing certain things that other guys supposedly knew about in regards to schmexual and drug related activities. Someone being curious to try stuff doesn't mean they want to be a junkie or disease ridden. There's a reason a drug dealer will give young girls their best product for free and that's to get her hooked and then trick her out. For a smart man you sure lack common sense street smarts. No offense.

April 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dim Mak

@Jazzzzz: Key words "giving us what THEY think we want". Keep us dumb and entertained while we're robbed blind by their corporate masters. Then the rich guys have their choice of doped up promiscuous middle class daddy's princesses to use and toss aside. Then it gives people like Phillip a girl to call promiscuous and claim she was born that way and therefore needs Jesus. They don't need Jesus they need loving parents and a country that doesn't churn out losers off an assembly line. Then people wonder why we need planned parenthood or people have abortions. It's not that confusing to see what the problem is.

April 18, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

Wow Dim Mak , you are giving me a lot to respond to.

1.) Yes That is the key world THEY (corporate and government) greed.
    2.) No phillip ppl are born that way it's the crap that is shoved into us day by day. Yes Dim Mak, we all need GOD.
    3.) My personal views of aboration are that as soon as the egg and sperm meet , it's a life and only GOD has the right to take it.

April 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jazzzzzzzz

Correction
    WORD
    PPL ARE NOT BORN THAT WAY
    Sorry about the errors

April 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dim Mak

@Jazzz: Respectfully, I think God and Jesus are different, but we do all need God's love. I don't think God would send his son (supposedly his only son, but I consider God all our father so Jesus could not be his only son plus there's his angel children too)... Sends his son here to be tortured slowly and spit on until his death? If someone did that to my kid and I were God then I would never forgive anyone on this planet. Human sacrifice contradicts a kind and loving God. Jesus did not die for our sins he died because of them and do you think God will show grace upon those who celebrate the torture and killing of his son? None of it makes sense. If the story is true then we must rectify the situation by getting rid of the evils on this planet and hope God can forgive the sins of our fathers. That's IF Jeezy isn't a false prophet to begin with. People worshiping him is a direct contradiction of the first commandment after all. Thou shall not worship anything of this earth.

April 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. PLAYED

Dr. Oz/Oprah did an episode on the happiest people in the world. Loma Linda was the only US city to make the list. The Seventh Day Adventists credit this to living a very healthy & positive lifestyle. They have low levels of disease and above average longevity. It was an interesting perspective.

April 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • I lost my wife to the Oprah cult

Oh sure. If Oprah said it, then it MUST be true.

April 18, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dim Mak

@Jazz... Point #2 regarding greed and corruption.. If you believe in God then surely you accept the possibility in the existence of the Devil? Wouldn't the Devil be the one responsible for poisoning the minds of the youth while robbing them of their innocence and money? That's not something concocted by a corporate think tank it's been going on since the beginning and many so called good christian folk are involved in the scheme. Many gangster rappers and drugged up rock stars frequently can be seen wearing crosses and praying to Jeezy Christo before a performance. I'm off for the night. Don't want to be a debbie downer but I think we've all been scammed from birth and I have yet to see anyone from the religious community fix anything in a concrete fashion. I put my faith in the one true God because my brain tells me there are snake oil salesmen all around us while my heart still believes heaven exists. Goodnight

April 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

I don't associate myself with any religion for that very reason.
      LOL, Jeezy Christo ...too good on that one.
      As far as the religious community goes pls read what I said , I don't associate myself with anyone , I am not a fan of church but am of GOD.
      And my brain tells me your one WILD CAT, LOLOLOLOLOL . Nite

April 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

Personal attacks and name calling is offensive, especially when talking about one's beliefs (or lack thereof). One can get a point across very nicely without disparaging remarks about one's personal belief system, and who within that system they worship. Common sense should tell anyone that.

April 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |