Seventh-day Adventist community loses Sunday mail delivery
Mail carriers won't be delivering in Loma Linda, California, next Sunday for the first time in 81 years.
April 18th, 2011

Seventh-day Adventist community loses Sunday mail delivery

Come next Sunday, residents of Loma Linda, California, will notice that something's missing on the streets - U.S. Postal Service mail carriers.

The community's 21,000 residents are predominantly Seventh-day Adventists, who observe the Sabbath on Saturday. For 81 years the post office went along, giving Loma Linda on Sundays the mail delivery that almost all of the country gets on Saturdays, according to local media reports.

But costs and technology are forcing an end to Sunday delivery, according to a report in The Press-Enterprise newspaper.

Carrier supervisor Duane Hubbard told the paper that the postal service's computers don't recognize Sunday as a workday, meaning the local office is unable to communicate with any other agency offices then.

Postal Service spokeswoman Eva Jackson told the Redlands Daily Facts that the Sunday schedule, included the extra pay carriers make for working Sundays, in addition to the agency's costs in a time of tight budgets.

"We're looking at everything right now, every way to reduce cost and still provide service," Jackson told the Daily Facts.

The move has angered some residents.

"It's an attack on God," resident Evangelina Pellecer told the Daily Facts. "My husband says he's going to put a cover over our mailbox saying, `Don't deliver on Saturday.' ... If they're delivering my mail, for me, they're violating my right not to do work on the Sabbath."

Informed by her carrier on Sunday that she'd get her mail on Saturdays from now on, resident Galina Rudenko was unhappy.

"Nobody works on Saturday," the Press-Enterprise quoted her as saying.

And some wanted to keep things that way, even if it meant no weekend mail service at all.

"Get rid of (Saturdays and) Sundays - we'll wait a day for our junk mail," resident Sylvia Sheppard told the Daily Facts.

Only two communities with Sunday delivery will remain. Jackson, the Postal Service spokeswoman, told the Daily Facts that post offices in Angwin, California, and Collegedale, Tennessee, both owned by Adventist churches, have contracts that guarantee no Saturday deliveries.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Religion • U.S. Postal Service
  1. Jazzzzzzzz

Makes sense: all of us being GODS children.
    The way I understand it is that Jesus was the sacrificial LAMB for all our sins, so that JESUS would be the judge to our sins. Thus having him as my judge makes me feel a whole lot better ...phew
    Don't know what your referring to by HUMAN SACRIFICE , don't think that is practiced any longer and hasn't been for a very long time.
    Those who would CELEBRATE Jesus torture , in my opinion should be shot , but I'm the judge of or punisher am I.
    Jesus will be coming to cast all those will not be going home with him, " Revenge is mine says the LORD"
    1st Amendment: thou shall worship no other than GOD. but I don't think he would mind us saying thanks to Jesus for his fine work.

April 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadian Genius

True, we are all God's children. I think you'll agree Jazz, after reading a lot of these posts, some are more childish than others......

April 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dim Mak

@Jazzzz: You just called Jesus the sacrificial lamb then you got confused about human sacrifice? Lol He was the human sacrifice. Sorry but Jesus was Jewish and therefore means you should be following Jewish laws not christian. We've all been scammed. Religion has all morphed and been distorted over time that people can't even tell why they're mindlessly following the words of a preacher. There are some in black America who call 2Pac the black Jesus, but I can assure you there's nothing Godly about the guy. He was a walking contradiction too and he frequently wore big gold crosses. Use your brain and ask questions then investigate the answers you're given and you will come to a reasonably sound understanding.

April 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Sorry but I was trying to say that Jesus had to die on the cross for us and our sins so in my eyes Jesus sacrificed himself.

April 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Would you open up your ears I said I don't associate myself with any one religion.

April 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

ok, I will take all your posts from tonight and get the investigative analysis from all source that i can find , anything else SIR?
      seriously I will get back to you I what I have dug up.

April 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

CORRECTION
      "I will get back to you on what I have dug up"
      Your still alright. Can you give me till Saturday pls ?

April 18, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dim Mak

Dr.Oz+Oprah=Satan and the succubus. Lol There was a prison show called Oz. Goodnight for real this time.

April 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pam

I was raised Adventist and I didn't even know until I read this article that there communities the had mail delivered on Sundays instead of Saturday. My Dad walked out and got the mail every Sabbath and no one ever thought anything of it. That the Post Office paid their employees a higher rate on Sunday and caused their employees to work on what may have been THEIR day of rest was an incredible gift. Loma Linda, quit your whining.

April 18, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • embarrassed

I totally agree with you Pam.

April 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • PattyS

In a town of an estimated 21,000 Adventists I would think there would be enough Adventist postal workers who would be pleased to have the Sunday delivery as part of their work week or to have the opportunity to work for the postal system at all. For any person who takes their chosen religion seriously there may be difficult employment decisions to be made. Employers are not always so eager to be accommodating to a seriously held belief because there are often no easy options, which for Adventists often means that mandatory Saturday work could preclude their being able to obtain employment for that position. It seems, though, in this situation, that there would be enough Adventists who could work the Sundays if they were given the opportunity to work for the postal service, thus eliminating the issue of someone being "forced" to work Sunday who doesn't want to. I would venture to say that Adventists are foremost in forgoing employment opportunities that even once would conflict with their observance of Sabbath, which is a gift from God to us. As an Adventist I have turned down job opportunities that I was very qualified for that "only" expected me to attend a couple Saturday training sessions a year or be open to the possibility that maybe sometime I would have to work a Saturday. I am always upfront about this with any potential employer once it appears that I am being considered a contender for a job. It is my experience that most Adventists will take the higher ground and trust the results to the God they honor even if it means temporal loss. That is the result of a conviction, not a preference. God honors those who honor Him, and He knows who they are, taking into account the opportunities they have had to have a relationship with Him and their willingness to follow wherever He leads.

April 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

You F...K head , hope your not saying your are LUCIFER , cause I'm going to tare UR azz UP. You evil son of a B......
    Sorry folks but this is a guy I want just 5 minutes in a dark alley with. He will be coming out of that alley crying while p@@ssing all over himself. @&%@&@^*&#

April 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Hello, I just had to say I am truly sorry for the language. Just really thought for a minute it was Lucifer who a done a tremendous amount of damage. Again I am so very sorry for my choice of words.

April 18, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dim Mak

@Jazz... Wasn't Jesus' death already predetermined by God then? Suicide is a sin according to christians, but Jesus' suicide which is basically death by cop in today's terms was something beautiful? All accounts were that he was spit on and had excrement thrown on him as he dragged his cross through the streets until he was beaten and thrown onto the cross and nailed to it with huge spikes. Then he was spit at some more, had more excrement thrown on him and stabbed with a spear while he roasted in the Sun. My God doesn't do that to people nor would my God save a species of animals capable of such tremendous hatred. It doesn't jive. It was a scam. Maybe Jesus was a criminal who had a little criminal following and his buddies posthumously made him out to be Robin Hood. ??? I'm really going to bed now. Lol I didn't want you to investigate anything for real just look around you and make up your own mind. Jesus had 12 disciples and if I'm not mistaken there are constant references to "dirty dozen" in movies and music. Lots of coincidences out there.

April 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

Are u Lucifer? And stop telling me what I believe.
    Sure your going to sleep
    YOu really better not be Lucifer.

April 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzzz

But then again Dim Mak you said I should follow the JEWISH religion and Lucifer is JEWISH. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, No never mind , just don't show your face in NY just don't you really don't want a NY Roll .

April 18, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Thoughtful

This whole tizzy has come about because the mail delivery date decision simply reflects a separation of church and state. I applaud the thoughtful Sabbath keepers who quietly go about their duties without bringing down the house just because the rest of the world doesn't agree. Let Loma Linda's USPS deliver the mail on any day, as many times a day as it would like. This should not have a bearing on individual faith, or religious practice.

April 18, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

True, we are all God's children...but we aren't all God's friends. Some of us are his enemies.

April 19, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

So true old wise one, lololo. serious yes some are very bad ppl

April 19, 2011 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

@ Dim Mak...Jesus death was not "pre-determined" as you say. It didn't take a 'rocket scientist' to figure out how people would treat Jesus ya know. Jesus spoke the truth...which always exposes powerful men who are into revenge. God didn't cause his son to die any more than he causes earthquakes. He just knew these things would occur, and warned us in advance. Well in advance.

April 19, 2011 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

ok Phillip you better be here

April 19, 2011 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. darren

This is what happen when you pander to a single group....

April 19, 2011 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

I'm here but having trouble posting.

April 19, 2011 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |