Teenage girl survives plunge from Golden Gate Bridge
More than 1,300 people have been killed jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge since the 1930s.
April 18th, 2011

Teenage girl survives plunge from Golden Gate Bridge

A 16-year-old girl survived a plunge from the Golden Gate Bridge over San Francisco Bay on Sunday, according to local media reports.

The girl either jumped or fell from midspan of the bridge, about a 220-foot fall to the water below, CNN affiliate KGO reported, citing a fire department dispatcher. The girl was conscious when pulled from the water, the Coast Guard told KGO. She was taken to Marin General Hospital.

It was the second time in two months a teenager plunged from the span and survived.

On March 10, a 17-year-old boy jumped from the bridge during a school field trip, telling rescuers he did it for fun, according to CNN affiliate KTVU. The boy broke his tail bone and tore a lung, according to the report.

More than 1,300 people have been killed jumping off the Golden Gate since it opened in the 1930s. Last year, there were 31 suicides from the bridge, KTVU reported.

Post by:
Filed under: California • San Francisco
  1. The Good Doctor

my post was a reply to Junebug's comments

April 23, 2011 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. go4a24

I have no sympathy for those who have chosen to take their own lives, I have sympthy for those who cared about the people who took their own lives. There are people posting on here who have lost children and I am very sorry for your losses, to those of you that choose this forum to talk about how the world is better off without them is just mean.
    To those of you who have lost family members to depression, you should take comfort knowing that the pain they were feeling is over.

April 24, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

Sometimes depression grips a person so hard they really don't see another way out. Their misery clouds their judgment. Someone who doesn't have sympathy for those people obviously don't know what it's like to be in such a dark place.

May 9, 2011 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. Pat

Using California's way of thinking: since the bridge can be a hazard it must be torn down. California always want to make things safe for those things that MAY happen and for the fruits, nuts and flakes that live there.

May 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

You know NOTHING about California. Everyone seems to want to move here and the economy is one of the largest in the world, as a state alone. We must be doing something right. If you don't like us, stay away. We are crowded enough.

May 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • GetReal

That would be California's "way of thinking", wouldn't it? I thought they put up a protective barrier so people couldn't jump off the bridge. But I haven't lived in California for many years, so I don't keep up on the Cali news. The place is full of nuts and weirdoes and psychos and it's wayyyyy too overcrowded. I don't mind it when I hear people put down my dear old home state, because I never considered it home.

May 8, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Whiteberry

Sandy must be joking. California has one of the largest SCREWED up economies on the planet and she actually sound proud of this? Unbelievable.!!

May 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hipster

I liked jumping off of the Golden Gate Bridge and surviving before it became mainstream.

May 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MSL58

LMAO – funniest reader response I've read all week!

May 6, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. Shannon

Whats sad is how young this girl is. She's only 16. Far too young to even think about suicide, yet.. thats what these kids are doing. According to the AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention) it is the third leading cause of death among those 15-24 years old.
    Reasons?.... lack of love, depression, loneliness, stress, bullying...etc These kids feel that they have nowhere to turn... that nobody is there for them. It usually starts with cutting...then leads from there. What helps? Parents getting more involved wit their kids... taking one night out a week... just one night a week to spend time with your teen. Take them to mall, movies, or even make Fridays a "Twister" game night. They're our future... they deserve it.

May 6, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Katie

Why does this story, from nearly three weeks ago, come up under the category 'This Just In'. This happens a lot with CNN.com, and I will have to look for a new News source that doesn't throw old stories in my face randomly.

Get it together CNN.

May 7, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Guilty Light

And that proves ladies and Gents, that the modern teen is a lot tougher and more durable than its predescors

May 12, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Superman

wannabees

May 15, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Xerxes 2010

If it was up to me, anyone jumping off would have to make their own way back to shore. I will not waste tax payers dollars because it was fun or your sucide attempt is an epic fail. You got yourself up there, get yourself out of it.

May 16, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lisa

always hit feet first ?? NOT .. i jumped from a bridge when i was 28 years old just goofing off i was about 60 feet in the air when i jumped and on the way down ended up flipping on to my back needless to say that is how i hit the water on my back thank god i am ok people seen what was happening and were in the water to pull me out nothing broke and still have all bady function so i was lucky but learned a leason DO NOT JUMP FROM ANY BRIDGE

May 17, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. Depression Symptoms in Teenagers

It's the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it's time to be happy. I've learn this post and if I may just I wish to counsel you some fascinating issues or tips. Maybe you can write next articles regarding this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!

April 17, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |