Look! Look! A new Seuss book!
A new book of Dr. Seuss stories will be published in September, Random House says.
April 19th, 2011

Look! Look! A new Seuss book!

We're really not trying to be obtuse, but there's another book coming from Dr. Seuss. You could read it in a house. You could read it with a mouse.

We'll stop there. You get the idea.

"The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories by Dr. Seuss" will hit store shelves in September, according to publisher Random House Inc.

The seven stories have been published before, but never in book form. They appeared in magazines in 1950 and 1951, the publisher says.

Seuss scholar Charles D. Cohen tracked down the stories, whose fantastical illustrations will have more vibrant colors in the book than were possible in the 1950s magazines, according to Random House.

The seven stories are:

- "The Bear, the Rabbit, and the Zinniga-Zanniga " (about how a rabbit fends off a bear with an unusual weapon)

- "Gustav the Goldfish" (an early, rhymed version of "A Fish Out of Water," written by Seuss' wife, Helen Palmer, and illustrated by P.D. Eastman)

-"Tadd and Todd" (a tale relating to twins and photocopies)

- "Steak for Supper" (about creatures who follow a boy home in anticipation of a nice meal)

- "The Bippolo Seed" (in which a scheming cat leads an innocent duck to make a bad decision)

-"The Strange Shirt Spot" (the inspiration for the bathtub-ring scene in Seuss' classic "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back")

-"The Great Henry McBride" (about a boy with extraordinary career dreams)

Dr. Seuss, whose real name was Theodor Geisel, died in 1991. He published 44 children's books, even though the first one, "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street," was rejected by publishers 27 times, according to the website of the Dr. Seuss National Memorial in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Geisel won two Emmys, a Peabody Award and a Pulitzer Prize during his long career. Also, two of Geisel's military documentaries and a cartoon short won Academy Awards.

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Literature
  1. Jazzzzzzz

Aw , yes I am getting this one for sure, love Dr Seuss as a kid. Required reading for everyone as far as I'm concern. What's up Doc? 🙂

April 19, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Steven Gordon

WOW! Lost Dr. Seuss! Amazing! Well, not really "lost" per se, but never-before published in book form.

Agree with Jazzzzzzz (hope that's the correct number of z's). Absoutely required for children of all ages! Never grows old!

April 19, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzz

@ Steven Gordon , You can just call me Jazz and thanks

April 19, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven Gordon

You're certainly welcome, Jazz! Excellent rendition of "Green Eggs and Ham" there!

April 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Canadian Genius

What I liked best about Ted Geisel, is when he got old, you couldn't tell if he got senile. That's what I'm aiming for.

April 19, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

I don't like green eggs and ham. I wouldn't eat them on a ship. I wouldn't eat them on the ocean.

April 19, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzz

I could not, would not, on a boat.
    I will not, will not, with a goat.
    I will not eat them in the rain.
    I will not eat them on a train.
    Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
    Not in a car! You let me be!
    I do not like them in a box.
    I do not like them with a fox.
    I will not eat them in a house.
    I do not like them with a mouse.
    I do not like them here or there.
    I do not like them ANYWHERE!

I do not like
    green eggs
    and ham!

April 19, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • ireuel

Yes the simpler times of the past. this books shall be purchased and I shall read them to my grandchildren. The Foot Book was my daughters favorite.

April 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

You gotta hear that on the Dr. Seuss record album I used to have when we were kids 🙂

April 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trey

Good Jazzzzzzz.

April 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

Jazzz, BRAVO. How nice. Loved that author's work. Short lunch, bye.

April 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzz

Bye

April 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Connor Dicken

Nice. I remember reading these when I was a little kid, it's kind of funny to know that, after ten years of the same stories, I can read some new Dr. Seuss books. Now, if they made them into movies as good as 'The Lorax'... perfect.

April 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

@ Canadian Genius: Holy S**t! Me, too!

April 19, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Simmy

I was wondering if this had anything to do with bi polar.

April 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Simmy

never mind, no need to comment.

April 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. George Dimitri

I love these Dr. Suess books! Grew up reading them and my children too.

Interesting though, that it "appears" they have a message for adults as well as children. There's actually a CNN article that talks about some of that:

And you know, especially from reading these forums, people just love to analyze/interpret the written word, whether the original words were meaningless or not.

From the CNN article, in case you don't want to click over there:

"Somehow, Geisel's books find themselves in the middle of controversy. The line "A person's a person, no matter how small," from "Horton Hears a Who!," has been used as a slogan for anti-abortion organizations. It's often questioned whether that was Seuss' intent in the first place, but when he was still alive, he threatened to sue an anti-abortion group unless they removed his words from their letterhead."

"In case you haven't read "The Lorax," it's widely recognized as Dr. Seuss' take on environmentalism and how humans are destroying nature. Loggers were so upset about the book that some groups within the industry sponsored "The Truax," a similar book - but from the logging point of view."

"Yertle the Turtle" = Hitler? "Dr. Seuss actually said Yertle was a representation of Hitler. Despite the political nature of the book, none of that was disputed at Random House - what was disputed was Mack's burp. No one had ever let a burp loose in a children's book before, so it was a little dicey. In the end, obviously, Mack burped. Mental Floss: The Dr. Seuss quiz"

Anyways should be fun to read "The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories by Dr. Seuss". Personally, I enjoy the drawings/illustrations more than the words. 😉

April 19, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeah

Great little history George, thank you. I didn't know any of these things. Well done.

April 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Yep. I've known people who were convinced the Who's was a message about abortion – I think it was intended to be 'the little people", wherever and in whatever form they are – in fact I remember a college professor saying that it had been written in reaction to the atomic bomb tests on the Bimini atoll which displaced the native people – they and their way of life were too "small" to matter for the "greater good". Then you have the Sneetches on the Beaches – anti-racism, How the Grinch Stole Christmas – anti-materialism, The Butter Battle (more blatant) – anti-nukes, etc. etc. I am not sure what Fox in Socks was really about, though... ?!

April 19, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. yeah

This is truly exciting. Love Dr. Seuss

April 19, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Pamela

I'm glad this is another book from Dr. Seuss. Our school really enjoy Dr. Seuss especially "reading across america" please give us more information.

April 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |