On the Radar: McDonald's hiring, more strong storms, Sheen's lawsuit
McDonald's has openings for 50,000 jobs in the U.S.
April 19th, 2011

On the Radar: McDonald's hiring, more strong storms, Sheen's lawsuit

50,000 jobs: McDonald's is looking to hire as many as 50,000 people today as part of its National Hiring Day promotion.

Jobs are available at both the corporate and restaurant levels. Job-seekers can go to the company's website or check at local franchises to find positions.

"I'm hopeful to bring in at least a dozen [new employees] if not more," said Robert Hughes, owner of four McDonald's franchises in eastern Pennsylvania, told CNN affiliate WFMZ. "Sales across the country and then regionally are doing so well that we have that need to be hiring more people."

In the Houston, Texas, area, McDonald's is looking to add 1,500 employees, CNN affiliate KHOU reports.

"At McDonalds, we believe our employees do incredible things. If you have a desire for a career, and a passion for quality, you should see what McDonald’s offers," Kimberly Kelley Elizondo, a McDonald’s owner-operator in the Houston area told KHOU.

The burger chain has more than 32,000 restaurants and 1.7 million employees worldwide.

Severe weather: Another round of severe storms on Tuesday could strike Oklahoma, one of the states hit by a  wave of violent weather last week, forecasters say.

CNN's Weather Center in Atlanta described the risk of severe weather as moderate. This time the forecast for severe weather is focused on the Midwest instead of the South, where 45 people perished in a swath of extreme storms, including tornadoes, last week.

The areas facing a moderate risk of tornadoes and high winds on Tuesday extends from the Midwest to the Ohio River Valley.  Also included are the cities of Tulsa, St. Louis and Indianapolis.

The threat of heavy storms is predicted to diminish in those areas on Wednesday morning, but the Northeast could experience isolated outbreaks of severe storms later in the day.

Sheen lawsuit: Charlie Sheen's $100 million lawsuit against his former employer is scheduled to come to a Los Angeles courtroom Tuesday.

But for those looking for the headline-grabbing actor, Sheen is expected to miss the hearing.  His "Violent Torpedo of Truth" tour has him in Washington D.C. Tuesday night.

The lawsuit was filed in March and names Warner Bros. Television and Chuck Lorre, the creator of "Two and a Half Men." Sheen is seeking punitive damages and recovery of unpaid wages in the lawsuit that alleges intentional interference with contractual relations and breach of contract, among other contentions.

In addition to Sheen, 9th Step Productions - a corporation formed by Sheen to contract out his acting services on the series - also is a plaintiff in the lawsuit.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Charlie Sheen • Economy • Fast Food • Jobs • Labor • Showbiz • Weather
  1. Thgor

I don't understand why most people are complaining about these jobs being minimum wage. would we be better off if they were hiring zero people? I don't understand why people feel they are "to good" for minimum wage jobs. getting paid close to nothing is a start, and its better then getting paid nothing and it helps keep the rest of the country from having to pay you to do nothing. I would be more embraced to say I have to take a hand out from the American people then I ever would to say I work for McDonalds. I started off six years ago making $5.15 an hour and now Ii am in that companies corporate office making a comfortable living, I think god for the minimum wage job that got me started on my career. you people make me sick!

April 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. American Citizen

I strongly urge all young people considering applying for these jobs to contemplate whether or not this is the legacy they wish to leave for their children one day.

While it might seem like a great idea to work for McDonalds, consider your personal integrity in this and what you are worth. Is McDonalds good enough for you?

Maybe it should not be.

Perhaps you are better than these dime store jobs being offered to you knowingly, where you are so horrifically desperate for work, anything looks good.

Consider that this might have been intentional by corporations holding out on today's youth so that you would be willing to take any job that came along instead of being more selective to guard against those who would demean you.

Demand better.

Our nation is supposed to leave a legacy of improved condition for future generations – not continually oppress in poverty.

Think about it before you sign that application.

April 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

So tell me...what kind of a job would you give a 16 to 18 year old still in school?

April 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack

It doesn't matter if they feel the job is good enough for them or not. They, like their parents will never save, and will always be a couple paychecks from being on the street. They will have to accept the first job that comes along to maintain their child care, mortgage and car payments. Americans and their offspring are idiots who'll continue their gradual slide into slavery.

April 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • jlb

I'm curious, politics aside, what is an appropriate job and pay scale for a high school aged individual and/or one without higher level education? When people hire someone, what should they base the pay scale and job responsibility on? Being a citizen? Improving doesn't mean you go straight to the top. Improving means starting out with a foundational basis that includes a strong work ethic. A strong work ethic means you get a job, go to work when you said you would, do the work assigned, get a pay check, get experience, then pursue other opportunities. These opportunties start to multiple when your work experience expands. Are we so committed to the ideal that we fail to remember the majority of us probably started out at a low paying job, one that did not fulfill our idea of a fun, but we knew we needed to do it because after all, this is part of the foundation again - contributing to society.

April 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Paco

No me gusta trabajar, pero McDonald's está bien porque puedo fumar hierba en el estacionamiento y ellos no piden prueba de ciudadanía.

April 19, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. I'm Ashamed To Live In a Country With So Many Morons And Blind Sheep... Bah Bah

@thgor: Your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Obviously you prove everyone's point. After I graduate college I will not be taking a minimum wage job. I'm suffering as it is right now and will not be a corporate drone forever. They are good jobs for teens or retirees that have low expectations.

April 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thgor

@ I'm Ashamed: I apologizes for my grammar I did not realize I was writing a term paper. When I took my minimum wage job I did not have low expectations, and I did not want to be stuck in a low paying job forever. I worked really heard to move up in the ranks, and now because i was willing to take that low paying I am working in a place where the only two people above me are the COO and the president of the company. I am not a corporate drone who sits in a cubical all day, although I was about two years ago. I now have my own office and a voice in the way our company is run.

April 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MALAKA

OH JOY! More low wage jobs for teens, now so desperately needed by even adults in this 'down economy'!

April 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

So many of you are bitter whiners...no wonder everything is going to hell. I'm sorry the economy sucks right now and there's not that many easy glamorous jobs out there. I want to play in the NBA, but I guess I have to live in reality.

April 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Republican

I want a big mac with fries super sized FOOL!

April 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wes

I'm sure the illegal hispanic community is rejoicing this morning!!!

April 19, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jesse R

SEE FOOD, INC. ! Ronald McDonald one day will go the way of the Marlboro Man. McDonald's, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box.... have all been poisoning Americans for decades and now the rest of the world. Fat & obese that's how they want you. We want to curb healthcare costs in America? Lets stop buying fast (fake) food and frozen (fake) food. I know that ship has sailed and there is no turning back, but if only one person stops smoking, or eating fake food, then at least one life will be changed. SEE FOOD, INC. and you'll see what I am talking about.

April 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JohnLI

Since McDonalds is one of the biggest employer of illegal aliens in the country, I think our government should take away their business license and take control of all their buildings and property. Afterward they can award the property to small business owners who pledge not to hire illegals. Corporate America is the worst thing that ever happened to this country.

April 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kacy

McDonald's was my first job at 17. It was great the first year. I had my usual crew and most of them were within my age range so we all were good friends and hung out outside the job. Not only that, but I had been with them about a month and half and was offered an assistant manager position. I didn't take it though, because I didn't want a lot of responsibility. The job was just for extra cash and I was already working about 30 hrs a week while going to school full time. Anyway, I loved it. I quit (about a yr and half after working there) after a few months of getting called in so frequently on my days off and being told that I was scheduled when I knew I wasn't. School came first and I don't like being lied to. That and the last raise I received was only $.15 (which brought me to a whopping $5.85 an hr).
    Anyway, I'm surprised from what I've read that so many people think it's a terrible place to work and not "worthy." Evidently, those of you talking trash about it had a bad experience or aren't hurting much for money. But don't worry, there are plenty of people willing to take them.

April 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. I'm Ashamed To Live In a Country With So Many Morons And Blind Sheep... Bah Bah

@John LI: Not familiar with small business owners like restaurant or construction companies hiring illegals eh? What rock have you been living under?

April 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. I'm Ashamed To Live In a Country With So Many Morons And Blind Sheep... Bah Bah

@Kacy: You just gave a long winded explanation about how you were treated like garbage and taken advantage of then you blast people for criticizing Mickey Dees. Thinking hurts your brain doesn't it?

April 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tyler

This is to Mike from Manhattan. Congrats for failing at life for working at McDonalds??? Screw you MF! Some of us have no choice you ignorant SOB! And for all of you whining about the ILLEGALS... I don't see you working there.. You're to F'n proud to say "would you like fries with that" SO let them do their thing. They are here to better themselves and have a better living. Who wouldn't want that? If I was born in Mexico, damn skippy ide make a run for the border. Bunch of racist ass MFers. Get a LIFE and stop worrying about other "HUMAN BEINGS" trying to make a living.

April 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rakwitiushbulbma

Why in the world do so many people think that it is a terrible thing to work at McDonald's? I worked at one for 9 years (25 hours/week) and also worked my full time 40 hour/week job. When I retired from McDonalds, I took my profit sharing money out. And, I have a 4 year college degree.

For each dollar that I put in to their McDesop and profit sharing plan, I got back $ 7.11. That's right. . . .seven dollars and eleven cents.. Now I know that it took a long time for this to 'build up', but it paid off.

ANY job. . . . as long as it is honest, is honorable!

If your pastor and garbage collector both quit their jobs at the same time, which one are you going to miss the quickest?

Ha! I thought so!

April 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JNICENYC

The bottom line here is that if your skills or uneventful life situation landed you @ MCD's then it is what it is....stop trying to blame the fact that these aren't high paying jobs on ObamaCare.....you Republicans must live on Saturn because you definitely don't live on Earthwith the rest of us normal people. Be happy that they are adding 50,000 and not taking away that amount in jobs.

April 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |