April 19th, 2011

Tornado cuts college's semester short

Damage from a tornado last weekend has forced Shaw University in Raleigh, North Carolina, to cancel the rest of the semester, the school announced.

No one on campus was seriously injured, but dormitory rooms and the Willie E. Gary Student Center, where meals are served, were devastated. Windows and roofs were damaged in other buildings, and trees were toppled and lines were down all over campus, the school said in a press release.

"While we exist to educate these young men and women, our first priority is their safety and well-being," Shaw President Dr. Irma McClaurin said in a written statement aired by CNN affiliate WNCN. "With this widespread damage, we could not resume operations in time to continue classes over the next two weeks."

Shaw is a small, historically black, Baptist-affiliated college that was founded in 1865.

Just eight days of classes remained in the semester, followed by a week of exams, CNN affiliate WTVD reported. McClaurin said students will be graded based on their work so far, and graduation ceremonies will go on as scheduled on May 7. Math and English competency requirements are suspended for this semester, McClaurin said.

The local Mechanics and Farmers Bank has set up a relief fund to help the private university clean up and rebuild, the school said.

Post by:
Filed under: Natural Disasters • North Carolina • Tornadoes • Weather
  1. Mmmmm

School closed! I want my money back or given all A's...

April 19, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

How about all m's instead for you?

April 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Nancy I do bite, too!

April 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

Hey, you're already getting out of Math and English competency requirements...you want all A's, too? Lol

I've never heard of math and English competency requirements in college...has anyone else? What does that even *mean*?

April 19, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Competency an exam it certifies you have master the requirements of the curriculum and retain the knowledge upon its completion...it differs from final exam...the perform these tests in elementary and high school as well...wake up banasy...

April 19, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • vbscript2

Yeah... most colleges assume that to be the case before you enter. Most also assume that if you've passed classes long enough to be graduating, you're probably sufficiently competent in the required subjects. If that's not the case, they should probably be reviewing the requirements of the curriculum instead of adding an exit exam. It's kind of too late by that point.

April 19, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

@Nancy: Lol!

April 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ole Lady

LOL

April 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ole Lady

I wasn't laughing at truths comment.

April 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Didn't think so, ole lady.
    That's what my hubs calls me-ole lady. We are throwbacks, I guess. I call *him* dork.

April 19, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

Thanks for the answer, as condescending as you are about it. I didn't have to take them in college. I know they have them in Elementary and High School.

April 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ole Lady

He does bite. I still have teeth imprints on my butt. Those m's can turn into shark teeth.

April 19, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ole Lady

Reminds me of an alice cooper song "schools out for summer"

April 19, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

"School...Out...Completely"

@ole lady: ouch!

April 19, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sharpshooter78

Truth – It's not a segregated college. HBCU's have never segregated against white students. That's why they are called HISTORICALLY black colleges. They were created during segregated times when black students could not attend the major state schools (which is why nearly all of them are in the South). They spent time recruiting black students at places no other schools would, and took chances on some students that no other schools would. Ironically enough, black schools (I went to Morehouse College) have a great deal of diversity even within our racial group. You'd be surprised at the great differences between black students from various regions of the country. Add into that mix international students from the Caribbean Islands and students from Africa and it's really an eye opener.

April 19, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

Indeed.

April 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. edvhou812

They called a semester just because of a tornado? Back in my day, I had a teacher that kept teaching during a tornado!

April 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Okay! that is just too-oo-oo-oo damn funny...I had teachers that load up on you so bad that you couldn't even do spring break...made you cry...and turn you into caffeine addicts...So funny! so true!

April 19, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

There was only two weeks left, Eddie Van Halen 0U812, and there isn't any place to eat or sleep. But I get your drift, and nice shout out, btw.

April 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ROFL

Put these students in a real school to finish off the semester, I bet most of them do not pass...

April 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really

Do your research before you make silly comments like that.Shaw is a great school.

April 20, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |