Hotel guest breaks toddler's 4-story fall
A girl fell from a fourth-floor balcony of this Econo Lodge in Orlando on Wednesday night, authorities said.
April 21st, 2011

Hotel guest breaks toddler's 4-story fall

A British woman who came to Florida as a tourist will leave as something of a hero.

Helen Beard was at an Orlando hotel's pool when she saw a 2-year-old girl hanging from one of the building's fourth-floor balcony railings on Wednesday night, the Orange County sheriff's office said, according to CNN affiliate WKMG.

Beard - on vacation from England - ran underneath the railing, and Jah-Nea Myles fell, striking the third-floor railing on the way down, sheriff's Cpl. Susan Soto told CNN, citing an officer's report. Beard caught Jah-Nea, but the child slipped from her arms and struck the ground, and witnesses called 911, Soto said.

Despite the fall, the girl - who was taken to a hospital - suffered no injuries, bruising or scratches and was in good health, medical personnel told a sheriff's officer. The officer also said the girl was playful and did not appear to be in pain, Soto said.

"It was a miracle" the child wasn't injured, sheriff's spokeswoman Denise Rollins said, according to WKMG.

The girl's mother, Helena Myles, who was staying at the hotel, told investigators she had left the child with a friend who was staying in an adjacent room, according to Soto. The friend said she was in a bathroom when she heard screaming coming from outside. She then looked outside and saw Jah-Nea on the ground with Beard, Soto said.

Beard told investigators she believed Jah-Nea may have slipped through the railing that was lining the fourth-floor balcony, according to the sheriff's office.

The Florida Department of Children and Families is investigating, but no charges were pending as of Thursday morning, according to WKMG.

Post by:
Filed under: Florida
  1. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Banasy I thought I told you we were fine as far as I was concern. Hey Life happens and that part of the article were one blogger mentioned we wont GET IT up in heaven... I forgot all about that so I guess I better do some catch up before I KICK THE BUCKET. So sorry I just gotta make jokes about it to dull the pain. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH , LOLOLOL

April 21, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ole Lady

God was truly there for the little girl. I wonder if she will be afraid of heights now.

April 21, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey

OK, Jah-Nea, honey–Mommy's going to be busy in here for a while with her friend. You just go out on the balcony and play by yourself, now.
    Be good, now honey.

April 21, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • nick

omg...so true ...child neglect.. all the way...no charges filed..... thats B.S , something should be done about this with all the time it tookfor the child to get out there, i could never and have never takn my eyes of my child never ever, i dont give the opprutunity for that to happen the mom should she feel real proud.. and pray everynight that yourchilds guardian angel was there ....this time

April 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ole Lady

The babysitter should have secured the sliding glass door before going to take a dump.

April 22, 2011 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

@Jazzy: cool. As Philip would say, you ARE the bee's knees!

Baby's day out...the window. Thank God someone was there to catch that lucky child!

And how long did this epic dump LAST, anyway?

April 22, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

I think he is a gold mine of a friend. makes me feel like I need to catch up with him as a human being, he's just an angel , thanks Philip. you ROCK.

April 22, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

He is the best. I love him dearly. He has great empathy for people. We CAN meet some jewels here!

April 22, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

He's worth catching up with as a human, too, Jazz. His heart has so much room for us all.

April 22, 2011 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. ole Lady

Tooooooo long.

April 22, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

Yes I think I have learned my lesson FINALLY. "just say no to bad men" that's what Phillip has taught me.

April 22, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jazzzzzzzz

I didn't have a lot of interaction with my Father but before he passed 3 yrs ago he said to me "Mary... I want a man to treat you good ALL of the time , not just some times" He also told me he was proud of me, something I have never heard him say before. I guess that's why I get along with men better than women as a general rule. Of course you gals are the rare exception that rule. I like men as friends and can keep them longer like that.

April 22, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

Hmmmmmmm.....maybe a little cupidity with you and Philly...? He is one of the good guys! Ok, I'm out of line, sorry, Jazz. I want to see my friends happy, though, and as blesses as I've been with my Paul. Phillip reminds me a lot of my hubs. A lady could do worse! Again, none of my business, and if I am offending you, Jazz, I'm sorry.

April 22, 2011 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jazzzzzzzz

No offense taken but I still dont feel worthly of a man like him. Just friends will do fine , I will be truly happy with that.

April 22, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

Dearest Mary, I a$ glad your father have you that advice...you're worth it! I was divorced 10 years before I found my prince...but it will find you when you least expect it. You're a good soul and there is someone for you.

April 22, 2011 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jazzzzzzzz

Besides friends are FOREVER. Ok I feel funny now.... like I'm out of line, sorry philip pls dont let that scare you off from being my friend.

April 22, 2011 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |