On the Radar: Funerals in Hudson drownings, Japan restrictions, car award
A memorial is left at the site where a mother and her three children drowned in a minivan in the Hudson River.
April 21st, 2011

On the Radar: Funerals in Hudson drownings, Japan restrictions, car award

Hudson drownings burials: Lashanda Armstrong, who killed herself and her three young children by driving her minivan into the Hudson River last week, will be buried in Spring Valley, New York, on Thursday, but relatives' plans to bury her children alongside her will not be carried out, according to media reports.

The father of the three children, Jean Pierre, announced Wednesday the funeral and burial of the children would be separate from that of their mother.

“After consulting with the Armstrong family, I have decided that the funeral arrangements for Landen, Lance and Laianna should be separate from that of Lashanda’s. My deepest sympathy goes out to La’Shaun and the Armstrong family," Pierre said in a statement released by his lawyer, according to a report in the Poughkeepsie Journal. "I ask that I be given the opportunity to grieve the loss of my three children privately," he said.

That angered Armstrong's aunt, Angela Gilliam, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

"She should be buried with her children, regardless of what she did," the Daily News quoted Gilliam as saying.

The children, an 11-month-old girl, a 2-year-old boy and a 5-year-old boy, will be buried Monday.

Another child, 10-year-old Lashaun Armstrong, escaped the vehicle as it was sinking in the Hudson.

Nuclear zone restrictions: On Friday, Japan will begin enforcing an evacuation order on a 20-kilometer zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, a top government official said.

The restriction –in place since the early days of the nuclear disaster - has often been ignored.

Many of the about 78,000 people who have homes in the evacuation zone have gone back in recent weeks to retrieve belongings, and check on farms and businesses.

No one will be allowed within 3 kilometers of the crippled nuclear facility and entry within 20 kilometers of the plant will be highly regulated, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters Thursday.

People who temporarily return to their homes, businesses and farms must wear a protective suit and ride into the restricted zone on a designated bus.

Car of the Year: The winner of the World Car of the Year will be announced at the New York International Auto Show on Thursday.

Finalists are the Audi A8, the BMW 5 Series and the Nissan LEAF, whittled down from an original list of 39 entries.

A panel of 66 automotive journalists from 24 countries votes for the winner.

Post by: ,
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Auto Industry • Japan • New York
  1. Joey

Be sure you can afford children before you have them: too many parents, especially mothers, do not.
    Don't depend on the government to put order into your life. That's your job.

April 21, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

@ Joey

Well said.

April 21, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

You views support every man for himself...that selfish idealogy does not play well in family. Your basis defend the dad in this situ. You also condemn the unborn which is another selfish agenda. The cards have already been played: a family in crisis that need support when one parent aborts who picks up the pieces Joey?

April 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

So that I am absolutely clear:
    a mother has the final decision whether to give birth to a child or not.
    Don't have a child that you cannot reasonably expect to raise to adulthood.
    It is not every woman's right "to have and love a child, fulfilling her motherly instincts," just because of her precious "feelings."

April 21, 2011 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • V12

To Joey:

Everyone who has children and cannot afford them didn't get pregnant expecting to go through hard times. They don't get pregnant saying "I'm going to have this child or children to get on welfare". Most people really do want the best for their children and strive to do so. But if you have never had any rain in your life Joey just wait a while and you will see everyday is not Peaches and Cream! You can really tell the people on here who are out of touch with reality. People who have never struggled in life or had REAL life situations at hand. Think before you speak. Just wisdom!

April 21, 2011 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Oh no this woman is to abort babies because need to cover for an unforseeable abandonment 10 years down the road...that is ridiculous. By the way the article didn't say drugs were involved...only noted stress and mental illness and abuse!

April 21, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. V12

I don't understand what the father could be thinking. He's only putting his surviving son through this(funeral) twice. You have to really think about this...she had to have been in a place where she thought this was the only way out. No sain person would have done this. The father should reconsider his decision and think about the living son he has and what type of damage his hate towards his mother could do to him.

April 21, 2011 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • mancld

The mother being in a place where she felt this was the only way out is not an excuse. The person who is fired from their job and feels their only way out is to go into the place and shoot it up is not given the excuses this mother is. She murdered the children and lost all rights as a mother at that moment. Also no sane person would have tried to kill themselves and their four children.

April 21, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey

BTW, on another topic above, I love BMWs.
    A BMW's drive is almost as good as that of a Mercedes-Benz.

April 21, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Amen, Joey. To every one of your posts.

April 21, 2011 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

@Banasy

I second that.

April 21, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

I don't support heartlessness!

April 21, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Of course people want the best for their children...however, I fail to see what part of "best" is driving up o a body of water, letting your oldest child out, and then proceeding into the water, killing yourself and three of your children. Where's the wisdom in that?

April 21, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • V12

You clearly misread my post. I didn't state she (the mother) wanted best for her children...it states to "Joey"(your posting buddy) that people generally want the best for their children.

April 21, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey

@ V12:
    Read more carefully.
    I said "REASONABLY" expect to be able to raise (children).
    BTW, I have been through many terrible times. I have survived and thrived again–always–and I understand completely that A FEW persons cannot accomplish that. I am always willing to share with those persons.
    That is my concept of what you call "wisdom."
    You are welcome to keep your concept of wisdom. I don't want it.

April 21, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • V12

You don't speak as if you were a person of wisdom and a person who has had life struggles.

April 21, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey

Hey, banasy! Good morning.
    "We thank you for your support."
    Have to be at work soon–gotta boogie.
    To earn a living.

April 21, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jaytyler

@banasy, how are you making a connection between V12's comment and your own? I don't see where V12 said that THIS woman wanted the best for HER children.

April 21, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey

@ Jaytyler:
    Don't play word games (semantics) with my buddy banasy.
    She's really smart, and you'll be sorry you started in.

April 21, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

Wait till you get one of those *Facepalms* from banasy.
    It smarts.

April 21, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

@Joey shut up

April 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jaytyler

I'm shaking in my computer chair. I don't care if she's smart, and I actually know what "semantics" means. Thank you, though. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand the logic in the reply. V12 didn't comment about the mother at all. The comment was regarding welfare. That's a fact, it's not semantics.

April 21, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. TvNYC

Good morning... It is her the mothers fault, no matter how you look at it, she murdered her children. God forbid but if my mother did what this lady did I wouldn't want my body to lay next to hers! ( hell no ) she was probably on drugs and no matter how bad her husband was, she's a murderer. She is a coward and thank goodness at least one of the children survived as God at least saved the big boy for daddy as he is most likely struggling beyond belief. Whatever the situation, every family has problems, she should have never murdered her own children what an @$$ hole mother! NY state would have helped her if she had filed for benefits the right way. Everyone hits rock bottom in life but we don't kill our own family. She's a coward. My condolences to the family that had to go through this. On another note, Benz and BMW are great but we need clean energy so the LEAF will win. (solar and wind power baby)

April 21, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jaytyler

By the way, replying in a knee-jerk fashion and missing the entire point of the comment to which you're replying, is clearly the mark of a smart person.

April 21, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |