On the Radar: Funerals in Hudson drownings, Japan restrictions, car award
A memorial is left at the site where a mother and her three children drowned in a minivan in the Hudson River.
April 21st, 2011

On the Radar: Funerals in Hudson drownings, Japan restrictions, car award

Hudson drownings burials: Lashanda Armstrong, who killed herself and her three young children by driving her minivan into the Hudson River last week, will be buried in Spring Valley, New York, on Thursday, but relatives' plans to bury her children alongside her will not be carried out, according to media reports.

The father of the three children, Jean Pierre, announced Wednesday the funeral and burial of the children would be separate from that of their mother.

“After consulting with the Armstrong family, I have decided that the funeral arrangements for Landen, Lance and Laianna should be separate from that of Lashanda’s. My deepest sympathy goes out to La’Shaun and the Armstrong family," Pierre said in a statement released by his lawyer, according to a report in the Poughkeepsie Journal. "I ask that I be given the opportunity to grieve the loss of my three children privately," he said.

That angered Armstrong's aunt, Angela Gilliam, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

"She should be buried with her children, regardless of what she did," the Daily News quoted Gilliam as saying.

The children, an 11-month-old girl, a 2-year-old boy and a 5-year-old boy, will be buried Monday.

Another child, 10-year-old Lashaun Armstrong, escaped the vehicle as it was sinking in the Hudson.

Nuclear zone restrictions: On Friday, Japan will begin enforcing an evacuation order on a 20-kilometer zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, a top government official said.

The restriction –in place since the early days of the nuclear disaster - has often been ignored.

Many of the about 78,000 people who have homes in the evacuation zone have gone back in recent weeks to retrieve belongings, and check on farms and businesses.

No one will be allowed within 3 kilometers of the crippled nuclear facility and entry within 20 kilometers of the plant will be highly regulated, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters Thursday.

People who temporarily return to their homes, businesses and farms must wear a protective suit and ride into the restricted zone on a designated bus.

Car of the Year: The winner of the World Car of the Year will be announced at the New York International Auto Show on Thursday.

Finalists are the Audi A8, the BMW 5 Series and the Nissan LEAF, whittled down from an original list of 39 entries.

A panel of 66 automotive journalists from 24 countries votes for the winner.

Post by: ,
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Auto Industry • Japan • New York
  1. TvNYC

Banasy: she didn't let the oldest child out, the article clearly states that he escaped!

P.s. Another stock rally today... I think so. Buy Siri, rimm,ffiv, nov.

See ya!

April 21, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Keg Man

Hillary has fat legs.

April 21, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. smokin11

BURY THE CHILDREN..TAKE THE PIECE OF CRAP MOTHER AND PUT HER IN A LANDFILL SHE DOESN'T DESERVE
    ANY KIND OF FUNERAL

April 21, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Amen to that!!! Couldn't have said it better!

April 21, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

The Divine Mercy of God will not be outdone: this woman has suffered enough may her soul and those of her children be found in the bosom of Abraham...may her living son know his mother fought the good fight...

April 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey

@ Jaytyler:
    If you don't want to argue, then let us not.
    I actually began the issue of parental responsibility, financial expectations, and the abuse or proper use of welfare before banasy's entrance.
    You and I probably agree conceptually on many issues.
    I'd prefer having a friendly relationship with you.

April 21, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • wholly33

Joey, i'm with you on this. But pay close attention to Mmmmmmm... there is something not right about her thoughts and rationale..... how do you pray for a woman who takes the lives of innocent children... that was a selfish act.! I think any woman who defends another woman of such murderous act, yet will trash a man who is involved in a similar act is thinking way out of line. Conversely I say the same about men as well. I look at the facts and fairness to it all. If Mmmmm and the rest of the Men haters was a fair person... they would condemn the woman for something that they would condemn any man for. I think if this were a man, Mmmmmm and her female men haters would want his body chopped up and given to the dogs. if Mmmmm was a fair person defending this woman, than she should go to a local prison and pray for and defend all the psychotic freaks who have murdered the innocent as well. by Mmmmm's thought process, any woman who does something so haness has an excuse and its the mans fault no matter what. thats her logic.

April 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

LOL not a man-hater...Wholly33 when the last time you prayed a prayer other than the one where you sic God on those you don't like...nothing wrong with praying for people in prison or for those suffering with mental illness. Who do you pray for? Let me guess your prayerline is limited to me,
      myself, and I...

April 22, 2011 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

Thank you, Sean.

April 21, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. George Dimitri

Speculate about the mother/father, condemn the mother/father, spew hate about the mother/father. Fine, go for it.

But, there is only ONE FACT we know to be true. The 10 year old boy who survived this tragedy. He has experienced a horrendous event. All focus should be on him. He will and already is suffering from PTSD. If he gets real help now, he may have a chance to have a decent life.

Trust me, I know from direct experience. I was horribly abused for years as a child and kept it a secret. The PTSD has ruined my life, compounded by decades of not dealing with it. And since it wasn't dealt with, the rest of what time I have left is a nightmare.

Focus on that young boy. He needs intensive help immediately.

April 21, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • jazzzzzzzzzz

George I am speachless at this moment. I cant tell you how very proud I am to have meant you here. I will be here if you ever need me , my friend.

April 21, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Patricia

Nobody knows what she was going thru the moment she chose to do what she did. Does anyone know what kind of support system the father was to the mother and the children? Smokin11 shame on you for saying what you said. This woman was emotionally distraught for her to kill her children. My heart goes out to her because I know all about the deadbeat dad issue, my daughters father was one. I raised her all by myself and boy did we struggle; emotionally, financially you name it. We just need to remember all involved in our prayers. That young boy that survived will have alot of emotionally scars. God bless him and his family and please let them be a good support system for him.

April 21, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • wholly33

okay Patricia, so you are saying you would've looked at your innocent kid killed he/she? would you have given Jeffery Dahmer the same kind of sympathy? NOT! you know he was sick to be eating people like he did, so again would you have done the same for him?

April 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Darcy

Unless you were in that relationship or had a birds-eye view, no one knows for sure who did what to whom. What we do know is we had a woman who had one child at 15 and then had 3 more later in life with a man who apparently chose not to support them. To say her life choices were not great would be an understatement. Each of us is responsible for our own choices in life. Quit blaming your screwed up life on someone else. We all of the ability to succeed or fail – it's up to us. Some may have a harder start at the race but you still have choices.

As for my opinion on this issue – If my husband did this I wouldn't want him anywhere near the graves of my children either. To say I would be bitter wouldn't even begin to cover it. If your life sucks so much you want to check out – go for it – but you don't have the right to take anyone else with you. I suspect the husband in this story will somehow move on with his life. It's the 10-year-old I am most afraid for. That young boy has seen more than anyone should have to see. My thoughts are with him that he can see his way to making better choices in life than his mother did.

April 21, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. Susan

I absolutely agree with the father.The mother gave up any rights or considerations when she killed her children! She no longer deserves the rights of a mother. For those of you who disagree, how would you feel if your children were buried next to the person who MURDERED them?

April 21, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • wholly33

Susan, you are a championed woman. I agree with you 110% whats wrong with some of the people on here? especially Mmmmmm and some of the other women on here. You would be the fair person in a case like this.

April 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Wholly guy, you are a jerk. When poppa bear went looking for a new jar of honey he left baby bears 11mos, 2year, 5year, 10year with unstable momma bear...why poppa bear didn't take baby bears with him? Why poppa bear couldn't help when there were 4 baby bears? And why is poppa bear still fighting a momma bear that is no longer with us? There's nothing goldielocks about poppa bear...poppa bear was more like the big bad wolf. Wholly have fun playing doctor and performing a mental health exam and
      evaluation with this post...considering some of the wacks on this thread, it is interesting that you decided to forensic psych me because I prayed in public and have an opinion this guy has
      cupability...

April 22, 2011 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jaytyler

Ok, Joey. I'd prefer the same.

April 21, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Color123

My sincere condolence goes out to both families. Both sides of the family will have to always live with the question WHY this happened. The father will have to live with what he did or didn’t do to support the mom or his children. What a way to have to live always wondering could I have done more. He is truly in for some dark days.

The remaining child will have to live without his mother and siblings always wondering if or why he couldn’t save his brothers and sister. My heart goes out to this child no one should have to carry that on there mind.

What is so sad about this whole situation is that there are other people out here thinking the same thing. I want to end it all and take my child or children with me so they don’t have to live with the aftermath. My prayer is that for anyone feeling like this that they reach out to someone for help.

To the family being mad at one another will not change anything. Trust that God will heal all involved with this tragedy.

April 21, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey

Then let's say we've shaken on it.

April 21, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. TvNYC

Joey your gay lol

April 21, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

@ TvNYC...nah, I'm just a troll with multiple personality disorder.

April 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Raynia

Thank goodness the father has enough sense to not buy his children next to the mother who murdered them. For all you people who think it's wrong, ask yourself this: If you were murdered, would you want the person responsible buried next to you for all of eternity?

April 21, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tif

I agree with the father he should bury his kids separately from the mother. Those kids did not ask to be murdered. In fact, those kids were denied a fulfilling life.

April 21, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |