On the Radar: Funerals in Hudson drownings, Japan restrictions, car award
A memorial is left at the site where a mother and her three children drowned in a minivan in the Hudson River.
April 21st, 2011

On the Radar: Funerals in Hudson drownings, Japan restrictions, car award

Hudson drownings burials: Lashanda Armstrong, who killed herself and her three young children by driving her minivan into the Hudson River last week, will be buried in Spring Valley, New York, on Thursday, but relatives' plans to bury her children alongside her will not be carried out, according to media reports.

The father of the three children, Jean Pierre, announced Wednesday the funeral and burial of the children would be separate from that of their mother.

“After consulting with the Armstrong family, I have decided that the funeral arrangements for Landen, Lance and Laianna should be separate from that of Lashanda’s. My deepest sympathy goes out to La’Shaun and the Armstrong family," Pierre said in a statement released by his lawyer, according to a report in the Poughkeepsie Journal. "I ask that I be given the opportunity to grieve the loss of my three children privately," he said.

That angered Armstrong's aunt, Angela Gilliam, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

"She should be buried with her children, regardless of what she did," the Daily News quoted Gilliam as saying.

The children, an 11-month-old girl, a 2-year-old boy and a 5-year-old boy, will be buried Monday.

Another child, 10-year-old Lashaun Armstrong, escaped the vehicle as it was sinking in the Hudson.

Nuclear zone restrictions: On Friday, Japan will begin enforcing an evacuation order on a 20-kilometer zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, a top government official said.

The restriction –in place since the early days of the nuclear disaster - has often been ignored.

Many of the about 78,000 people who have homes in the evacuation zone have gone back in recent weeks to retrieve belongings, and check on farms and businesses.

No one will be allowed within 3 kilometers of the crippled nuclear facility and entry within 20 kilometers of the plant will be highly regulated, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters Thursday.

People who temporarily return to their homes, businesses and farms must wear a protective suit and ride into the restricted zone on a designated bus.

Car of the Year: The winner of the World Car of the Year will be announced at the New York International Auto Show on Thursday.

Finalists are the Audi A8, the BMW 5 Series and the Nissan LEAF, whittled down from an original list of 39 entries.

A panel of 66 automotive journalists from 24 countries votes for the winner.

Post by: ,
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Auto Industry • Japan • New York
  1. Joey

To George Dimitry,
    I know this child's future the same way you know it.
    My battering and abuse did not stop until I was able to move myself out of the house, and the state.
    It took decades to break away completely from lying to my parents that I loved them.
    They both did it. It takes two to tango.
    The memories and intimidation always arise, but it becomes easier to deal with them.
    The child is afraid to tell anybody what is happening. I thought that nobody would believe me.
    I did not "forgive" my parents.
    There is now a clear plastic wall that separates my childhood from the present. It's over, but it will never be really over because I can still see through the wall into my background. I don't hate my parents: I feel nothing about them.
    I hope this boy upstate from me can overcome it. He has a lot of work ahead.

April 21, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • jazzzzzzzzzz

You both are in every sense of the word , REAL HUMAN BEINGS, You both make me proud to call myself a human as well. I can't tell you , I I'm am still speachless. 🙁 Love you both

April 21, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • jazzzzzzzzzz

@ Joey @ George I got it.... God will never foresake you. Take NOTE everyone , these two are what true men look like. Love to both of you.

April 21, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

@ TvNYC:
    Keep laughing.
    Thank you for the compliment: I like gay men and lesbians.

April 21, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Nadine

@ banasy,
    I never read where the Mother let the 10 year out. He escaped and swam to saftey............

April 21, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gloria

From my understanding of this case, the father of the 3 little dead children is not the father of the surviving 10-year old. Also, one report indicated the "mother" thought she was being cheated on...perhaps there is more to her actions than that, but what a stupid reason to kill yourself and your children. Apparently, from what the surviving little boy reported, this woman had second thoughts and tried to get the vehicle out of the river at the last moment. I believe she was obviously erratic and a very selfish, desperate person who had absolutely no reason to commit this horrendous act against her little children.

In my opinion, this grieving father is correct in not allowing that woman to be buried next to his children. My sympathies are with the surviving boy and the father.

April 21, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. ScDiva

I can understand to a point the anguish the mother was going throught but I cannot understand why she would have wanted to end her children's lives along with her own. I mean she actually told her children "We will all die together." How incredibly selfish, but this is me being judgemental. I've read that the boy reported his mother saying something like "this was not a good idea" or "maybe I shoud not have done this" but it was too late. Why do this to your children???? I have an 8 year old & would never do such a thing!!!!!

April 21, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. TvNYC

I was kidding Joey... Sorry you took it to the heart homeslice! Have a good day everybody!

April 21, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. S3

I think if it was the father who have driven minivan in river teh mother would have done the same thing...I think he should not be put through the agony of attending funeral that will have his wife their as well three kids that he loved very much and not to mention he will have to console teh boy who escaped drowning as well...No matter how much you hate your husband you don't kill your kids to get back at him...I don't care who thinks that she was abused and what she did was not her fault...I think if she was abused or husband was a bad man her family or that aunt would have already told the whole world about it...I don't feel sympathy for her unless she had some sort of pyschological problem and she did not get help and husband did not realize how serious it was

April 21, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Look first thing first...you love your kids love their mother. If you don't love their mother, respect this women because you love your kids...children deserve a happy peaceful person to raise them...

April 21, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ScDiva

In a way I don't blame the father but I'm sure he contributed to this mother feeling so isolated.

April 21, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey

Hi, Jazzz!
    Thank you.
    Running out, now–so late from getting involved.
    Later!

April 21, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • jazzzzzzzzzz

Bye

April 21, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. sandyk

Regardless of what the father was or wasnt; it is a new day, he now has the choice to be a better person to make a difference. the same choice the woman had! the same choice she took away from those babies! as a christian it is expected of us to be forgiving and understanding as a mom and just a human sometimes that it is a tall order! I am thankful for a God that is able to see what I cannot, because this kind of murder is hard to understand. back on point there is always another day to be better.

April 21, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Toad

Thank you Princess! But Mario is in another castle!

April 21, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. ole Lady

What a tragic story. My heart goes to the surviving son. He's dealing with a lifetime of haunt and horror. Maybe he doesn't want mom to be buried with his brothers and sister. And the separation of the burials might help him deal with the feelings he has. Some of those emotions are strong for him right now. Especially anger towards his mother for killing his brothers and sister. He can visit his siblings and choose to visit his mother.

April 21, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eliana

@Mmmm, to give you the benefit of the doubt, I read your post quickly, but I have no idea why you're going about "the other woman" and Lifetime movies and even Stevens. With all due respect, none of those things have anything to do with what I've said here. I am not "defending" the father. I don't know the father, nor do I know a lick of what went transpired throughout the course of their relationship. What I do know, is that she (in my opinion, should have stuck with suicide and left infanticide out of the equation) murdered her innocent children, the father and one child are alive, it's his decision regarding burial arrangements, and she's dead so she has no care about whether she's buried w/her kids or not. I'm not defending him, per se, simply acknowledging his right to bury them separately.

April 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Just sarcastic analogy to make a point! They are no underdogs on this thread nor empathizers...no addressing of the means to the end.

April 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ole Lady

The living son has to deal with the fact that mom tried to kill him too. How sad that he has to live with that fact.

April 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Sadder the child is living with a father who did want to be bothered in the first place...

April 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Correction: did not want to be bothered...

April 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ole Lady

All the children are innocent victims of the mothers insanity.

April 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

...and victim of father's abandoment.

April 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |