On the Radar: Funerals in Hudson drownings, Japan restrictions, car award
A memorial is left at the site where a mother and her three children drowned in a minivan in the Hudson River.
April 21st, 2011

On the Radar: Funerals in Hudson drownings, Japan restrictions, car award

Hudson drownings burials: Lashanda Armstrong, who killed herself and her three young children by driving her minivan into the Hudson River last week, will be buried in Spring Valley, New York, on Thursday, but relatives' plans to bury her children alongside her will not be carried out, according to media reports.

The father of the three children, Jean Pierre, announced Wednesday the funeral and burial of the children would be separate from that of their mother.

“After consulting with the Armstrong family, I have decided that the funeral arrangements for Landen, Lance and Laianna should be separate from that of Lashanda’s. My deepest sympathy goes out to La’Shaun and the Armstrong family," Pierre said in a statement released by his lawyer, according to a report in the Poughkeepsie Journal. "I ask that I be given the opportunity to grieve the loss of my three children privately," he said.

That angered Armstrong's aunt, Angela Gilliam, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

"She should be buried with her children, regardless of what she did," the Daily News quoted Gilliam as saying.

The children, an 11-month-old girl, a 2-year-old boy and a 5-year-old boy, will be buried Monday.

Another child, 10-year-old Lashaun Armstrong, escaped the vehicle as it was sinking in the Hudson.

Nuclear zone restrictions: On Friday, Japan will begin enforcing an evacuation order on a 20-kilometer zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, a top government official said.

The restriction –in place since the early days of the nuclear disaster - has often been ignored.

Many of the about 78,000 people who have homes in the evacuation zone have gone back in recent weeks to retrieve belongings, and check on farms and businesses.

No one will be allowed within 3 kilometers of the crippled nuclear facility and entry within 20 kilometers of the plant will be highly regulated, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters Thursday.

People who temporarily return to their homes, businesses and farms must wear a protective suit and ride into the restricted zone on a designated bus.

Car of the Year: The winner of the World Car of the Year will be announced at the New York International Auto Show on Thursday.

Finalists are the Audi A8, the BMW 5 Series and the Nissan LEAF, whittled down from an original list of 39 entries.

A panel of 66 automotive journalists from 24 countries votes for the winner.

Post by: ,
Filed under: 2011 tsunami • Auto Industry • Japan • New York
  1. ole Lady

Good morning Cesar

April 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ole Lady

Did you take your meds today?

April 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ole Lady

The question meant for Cesar. No dis to you Mmmm. I've already. Felt your bite. LOL

April 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Your passive aggression duly noted...but what can you say to the lady who drops her handkerchief everytime she passes...

April 21, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

i am such an idiot troll....i'm so sorry

April 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

no, i haven't had my pills in a few days..

April 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

trolling on these blogs seem to help me cope though thank you

April 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ole Lady

the son should be placed with other family members and not with the dad. Is he really the dad or step dad? Anyway the son should not be living with him to be victim of more abuse. He's has enough to deal with.

April 21, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

@Jantyler: it was a general statement, directed to all the postings about the mother. I used a word V12 also used. The only connection was one made by you. Please do not undermine my opinion because you do not happen to agree with it.

April 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

@TvNYC: I originally saw this on my morning news program, which I would take over a CNN news blurb any day.

@Jantyler: pleas do not condescend to me. I was commenting on all the posts themselves, not to any one person. If you noticed, I put an @ before your name. This means I am replying directly to you, as you have done to me. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?

April 21, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

Thank you, Sean.

April 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

I have tried to empathize with the surviving boy concerning his visiting–or perhaps never visiting–all of the graves together.
    Bringing to his situation my experience of a violently abusive childhood, I know that I expect him to reach a stage of removal from his trauma in which he will never want to visit his mother's grave again. That will be very healthy.
    He probably will want to visit his siblings' graves.
    Had not my sister left directions that she be cremated, I would not want to visit her grave were she buried near our abusive parents.
    In fact, it would have been heartless of me to allow her to be buried beside then, as our childhoods set up the depression that ultimately caused her suicide.
    I somehow survived it and recovered. She did not.
    I do know how this boy would feel if he had to visit his mother's and siblings' graves together.

April 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey

Typo:
    beside them, not then

April 21, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

@Joey:

I did not comment in your past before, but you have my sympathy for what happened in your family dynamic when you were younger, and I wholly respect you for having overcome your horrendous childhood to have become the caring, tremendous person you are. You are tops in my eyes, and an inspiration to all who have had an abusive childhood (my father was a beast!); you are one of the strongest people I have met yet on these boards. I'm am glad I have made your acquaintance, my friend.

April 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey

@ banasy:
    I feel the same about meeting you.
    This just came up because of the topic today: I settled the mess of it long ago.
    I have a terrible regret: I wish I had killed my father.
    Many times he almost killed all of us. My mother played Hetta Nussbaum (however she spells it), a perfect masochist who let her me in on her punishment. From ages about 14 to 17 I slept with a hatchet under my mattress and an ax in the closet for protection. Very Thomas Harris.
    I never told so many people before today, but it felt good.
    Thank you for knowing what this is.

April 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jazzzzzzzz

Nobody gets threw this world unscathed.

April 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |