On the Radar: Good Friday, Earth Day, Texas fires, Mideast protests
Christian pilgrims carry wood crosses on Jerusalem's Via Dolorosa in a Good Friday observance.
April 22nd, 2011

On the Radar: Good Friday, Earth Day, Texas fires, Mideast protests

Good Friday - Non-Orthodox Christians are observing Good Friday, the solemn commemoration of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Pope Benedict XVI will lead a "Way of the Cross" ceremony at 3:15 p.m. ET at the Colosseum in Rome, followed by Mass at the Vatican at 5 p.m. ET.

A prosecutor and a public defender in Richmond, Virginia, will put on a mock trial with Jesus facing capital punishment. The audience will be the jury in the sentencing phase and decide his fate.

Meanwhile, a pastor looks at the connections and possible conflicts between Earth Day and Good Friday.

Earth Day - Friday also is Earth Day, an observance meant to draw attention to environmental issues, including energy conservation. Here's a list of 10 simple things you can do to go easy on your world.

Sen. John Ensign - The political worlds of Washington and Nevada are responding to Republican Sen. John Ensign's announcement Thursday that he will resign May 3. Ensign previously had said he would not run for re-election in 2012 following revelations that he had an affair with a female aide who was the wife of another top aide, and that his parents subsequently gave money to the aides' family. Political watchers are speculating over whom Gov. Brian Sandoval, a Republican, will appoint to complete Ensign's term.

Lohan hearing - Lindsay Lohan returns to court Friday for a preliminary hearing that will decide if her necklace theft case will go to trial. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Stephanie Sautner also is scheduled to consider whether Lohan violated her probation for a 2007 drunken driving conviction by being charged with the felony.

Libya - Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, made a surprise visit Friday to the Libyan rebel stronghold of Benghazi. McCain, the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has argued that the U.S. should step up efforts to end Moammar Gadhafi's nearly 42-year rule. Large explosions and the sound of jets over Tripoli on Thursday night indicated NATO likely has increased the intensity of its airstrikes on Gadhafi's key command and control military sites.

Middle East - The protest movement that has roiled the Arab world since January seems to gain steam on Fridays as protesters hit the streets after weekly Muslim prayer services. Demonstrations were seen breaking out in Damascus and Daraa, Syria, and violence was reported in Yemen. Meanwhile, a third human rights group accused Bahraini authorities of raiding hospitals and torturing doctors and patients in an effort to quell protests there.

Texas fires - Thousands of firefighters will try to seize the upper hand against nearly two dozen wildfires that have burned 1 million acres in hot, dry Texas. The fires claimed the life of a second firefighter, Elias Jaquez, on Thursday, officials said.

Post by:
Filed under: Christian • Environment • Libya • Lindsay Lohan • Middle East • NATO • Nevada • On the Radar • Religion • Texas • Vatican
  1. Cesar aka jazzzzzzzz

Ooops! Sorry folks, some times I slip up even on meds.

God bless.

Cesar

April 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzzzz

No , that was me , Cesar / Herbert you are nothing, but to yourself you are PRICELESS. Wow now he really does need his MEDS. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

April 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzz

I put my bob in lucifers butt he is VERY gay! he likes to put his finger up his azz then into his mouth

April 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazzzzzzz

Oh my bob is battery operated boyfriend cuz im too ugly for a real one And my mom dresses me funny

April 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

Happy Easter, all.

@Mmmmm: LMAO! ETWN, indeed!

Pope Benedict the Anti-Christ? Hahahahahahahaha!

April 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar aka banasy

sorry again.

April 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzzzz

This is the REAL Jazzy , What are you apologizing to her for its me your bashing , STOP and leave me alone

April 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jason the Pendleton Rat

Two things on the feeble mind today.
    1. The above CNN article is completely incorrect about one detail. Good Friday is THE only day of the church year that the Roman Catholic Church does NOT celebrate Mass. The Good Friday Liturgy is NOT "Mass". It includes the distribution of communion, but it is "reserved" in "off the sanctuary" locations, such as sacristies, or other places where tabernacles are located, since the time of the Holy Thursday celebration, after Mass, when the altars are stripped. It's not really important, but the Pope will not be doing what the article syas he will be, and they should know what they are talking about, if they are going to write about it.

2. The Lindsey Lohan necklace looks to me to be worth about $4.99. Am not necessarily a fan of hers, but this price inflation is also criminal. I could get a better one at Spencer Gifts, for $9.99. .

April 22, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. meee

Mccains in libya getting us into another mess

April 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. meee

A one of a kind necklace? since when did zirconias become valuable?

April 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

Poor Lindsay, I truly feel for her and how the media abuses her. She is a very innocent girl and I pray the media does not tarnish her well earned reputation. It is refreshing to see that the judicial system is giving her special treatment. If the average American citizen was arrested for the theft of that necklace, they would be sitting in jail awaiting trial. But, thank God, that is not the case for Lindsay. It is a huge enough burden for her to be a celebrity, always in the spotlight. It is a blessing that she can get the special treatment she truly deserves.

From the evidence I've seen, I can honestly say I think she is innocent. From the videos, it appears she was setup. I feel so bad for that poor girl. I pray that she is found innocent and the real perpetrators are found. I am looking forward to seeing Lindsay in a blockbuster movie or releasing a new album. She is a beautiful and talented girl. We need more role models like her in this crazy, mixed up world.

God Bless You Lindsay, I am on your side!

Cesar

April 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. i believe

He has risen. .He has risen indeed!!!

April 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Phillip

Jazzy would you wrap your legs around my face?

April 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jinx

What the hell is wrong with all of you?

April 22, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jazzzzzzzzzz

I don't have any more time for this, Luficer .... you need to stop and respect ppl. Pls stop. BYE

April 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Olelady

Jazzzzzzz you need to suck it up wench!

April 22, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |