On the Radar: Good Friday, Earth Day, Texas fires, Mideast protests
Christian pilgrims carry wood crosses on Jerusalem's Via Dolorosa in a Good Friday observance.
April 22nd, 2011

On the Radar: Good Friday, Earth Day, Texas fires, Mideast protests

Good Friday - Non-Orthodox Christians are observing Good Friday, the solemn commemoration of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Pope Benedict XVI will lead a "Way of the Cross" ceremony at 3:15 p.m. ET at the Colosseum in Rome, followed by Mass at the Vatican at 5 p.m. ET.

A prosecutor and a public defender in Richmond, Virginia, will put on a mock trial with Jesus facing capital punishment. The audience will be the jury in the sentencing phase and decide his fate.

Meanwhile, a pastor looks at the connections and possible conflicts between Earth Day and Good Friday.

Earth Day - Friday also is Earth Day, an observance meant to draw attention to environmental issues, including energy conservation. Here's a list of 10 simple things you can do to go easy on your world.

Sen. John Ensign - The political worlds of Washington and Nevada are responding to Republican Sen. John Ensign's announcement Thursday that he will resign May 3. Ensign previously had said he would not run for re-election in 2012 following revelations that he had an affair with a female aide who was the wife of another top aide, and that his parents subsequently gave money to the aides' family. Political watchers are speculating over whom Gov. Brian Sandoval, a Republican, will appoint to complete Ensign's term.

Lohan hearing - Lindsay Lohan returns to court Friday for a preliminary hearing that will decide if her necklace theft case will go to trial. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Stephanie Sautner also is scheduled to consider whether Lohan violated her probation for a 2007 drunken driving conviction by being charged with the felony.

Libya - Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, made a surprise visit Friday to the Libyan rebel stronghold of Benghazi. McCain, the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has argued that the U.S. should step up efforts to end Moammar Gadhafi's nearly 42-year rule. Large explosions and the sound of jets over Tripoli on Thursday night indicated NATO likely has increased the intensity of its airstrikes on Gadhafi's key command and control military sites.

Middle East - The protest movement that has roiled the Arab world since January seems to gain steam on Fridays as protesters hit the streets after weekly Muslim prayer services. Demonstrations were seen breaking out in Damascus and Daraa, Syria, and violence was reported in Yemen. Meanwhile, a third human rights group accused Bahraini authorities of raiding hospitals and torturing doctors and patients in an effort to quell protests there.

Texas fires - Thousands of firefighters will try to seize the upper hand against nearly two dozen wildfires that have burned 1 million acres in hot, dry Texas. The fires claimed the life of a second firefighter, Elias Jaquez, on Thursday, officials said.

Post by:
Filed under: Christian • Environment • Libya • Lindsay Lohan • Middle East • NATO • Nevada • On the Radar • Religion • Texas • Vatican
  1. ole Lady

Who knows who anymore. Anyway. Happy Easter to everyone and have fun easter egg hunting. I know I will with grandkids. We're painting eggs tonight.

April 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

This guy–I think it's a guy–who hijacks names is not legion.
    (Now I'm being Clarice–wasn't that her name? Hannibal series.)
    He is bored and energetic...probably young, with so much energy–or he could be older, because he knows more about the English language than one would expect of a young person who went through today's schools. Maybe a lawyer, writes vs easily. Or an editor.
    He understands different mentalities well enough to play with them.
    He could act: changes his person easily–he probably could do it more believably if he were motivated by the rewards of doing it professionally. Could be an actor out of work...frustrated, angry.
    Could be gay. Passive, manipulative...likes to get people mad at him. Probably likes to lie
    on his back and
    take the easy way out.
    He's smart. Lazier than he should be, with his genetic resources.
    Worked out that bit about the words in the pig sign. I think I recognize his use of words from a more normal nom de plume on this site. Maybe a WASP, at home enough with that cultural style to identify with a WASP stage name and be himself slightly, although still hiding.
    WHY? Hiding–
    Whoever it is, it's a loss, because he'd probably be an interesting friend if he could get attention being himself.
    He'll reveal himself, eventually: his little dog Precious will fall into a pit and the troll will show himself.

April 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey

Hi, banasy!

April 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazzzzzzz

Why am I so stupid. Help me!

April 22, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

Troll could have social contempt for cultures that would have the name "Cesar."
    Might be Southern.

April 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

Stop using my name you low down yellow filthy mother pluckers!!! ...@Joey: Hi. I like your posts. I'm the real Cesar.

April 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy, aka...banasy

Hi,jj, hi, Joey, hi, Big Joe. ole lady, can I color some eggs, too? My granddaughter is only 7 weeks old, and my youngest daughter is 17, and wants nothing to do with "Hoppy Easter" anymore...too cool and all that. *Sigh*

And Jazzy, wherever you are, sharing the hubs was a joke! (Although I'm not EVEN asking him!) And yes, I'm *very* blessed!

April 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey

Troll abhors anything that he sees as a lack of intelligence.

April 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey

This is a good Good Friday party (!).
    I wanna paint eggs too, ole Lady!

April 22, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Outside Observer

I've been reading and observing these blogs for awhile now. Participate here and then.

To the "regulars", have you ever thought why a person or person(s) would be highjacking your screen names and making jokes about you? Well, just a observation theory. Could it possibly have to do with the Fact that you "regulars" turn every blog thread into a annoying chatroom? Remind you, just a theory.

Though, it's kind of ironic isn't it? You "regulars" cry fowl when some troll highjacks you but it's ok for you "regulars" to use these forums as you own personal chatroom. Maybe ironic isn't the right word. How about hypocritical?

So, is it right for someone to highjack your screen name and makes jokes about you/others? Probably not. Is it right for you all to use this as your personal chatroom? Probably not. Looks like a stalemate?

My personal opinion, observation. You "regulars" have caused this problem by your own behavior. These are not personal chatroom forums. Get on facebook, twitter or a real chatroom. Again, just my observation and opinion.

Anyways, for what its worth, Happy Easter everyone!

April 22, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy, aka...banasy

Or trolls abhor intelligence in general and strive to make those who possess any seem stupid.

I think you hit the nail on the head with why the trolls love the name "Cesar". Too bad, because personally, I adore the name. When used in the proper manner, of course.

April 22, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cesar

Dear CNN: Everybody is picking on me. Please block them. Make them stop. This will leave psychological scars on me as will as damage my self-esteem.

April 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey

Hello, Cesar, I guess, if you are Cesar, nice to meet you and thank you.

April 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John McClain

Maybe Jesus invented the devil so he could play the hero for all of us. No bad guy means no need for a hero and therefore boring anonymity like the rest of us. HANS!!!! Yippie Kay Aye Mutr Frogger!

April 22, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy, aka...banasy

Well, Outside, the regulars never used this as a chat room before the trolls hijacked our names, other than to say hi to one another. Then when any opinion on the thread became fodder for their filthy antics, the regs cared less and less. We do post our thoughts on the subject, as you can see from any thread you choose to look at. And by posting this, you have now become guilty of the very thing you have accused the regulars of. I find that amusing, to say the least!
    Happy Easter!