On the Radar: Good Friday, Earth Day, Texas fires, Mideast protests
Christian pilgrims carry wood crosses on Jerusalem's Via Dolorosa in a Good Friday observance.
April 22nd, 2011

On the Radar: Good Friday, Earth Day, Texas fires, Mideast protests

Good Friday - Non-Orthodox Christians are observing Good Friday, the solemn commemoration of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Pope Benedict XVI will lead a "Way of the Cross" ceremony at 3:15 p.m. ET at the Colosseum in Rome, followed by Mass at the Vatican at 5 p.m. ET.

A prosecutor and a public defender in Richmond, Virginia, will put on a mock trial with Jesus facing capital punishment. The audience will be the jury in the sentencing phase and decide his fate.

Meanwhile, a pastor looks at the connections and possible conflicts between Earth Day and Good Friday.

Earth Day - Friday also is Earth Day, an observance meant to draw attention to environmental issues, including energy conservation. Here's a list of 10 simple things you can do to go easy on your world.

Sen. John Ensign - The political worlds of Washington and Nevada are responding to Republican Sen. John Ensign's announcement Thursday that he will resign May 3. Ensign previously had said he would not run for re-election in 2012 following revelations that he had an affair with a female aide who was the wife of another top aide, and that his parents subsequently gave money to the aides' family. Political watchers are speculating over whom Gov. Brian Sandoval, a Republican, will appoint to complete Ensign's term.

Lohan hearing - Lindsay Lohan returns to court Friday for a preliminary hearing that will decide if her necklace theft case will go to trial. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Stephanie Sautner also is scheduled to consider whether Lohan violated her probation for a 2007 drunken driving conviction by being charged with the felony.

Libya - Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, made a surprise visit Friday to the Libyan rebel stronghold of Benghazi. McCain, the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, has argued that the U.S. should step up efforts to end Moammar Gadhafi's nearly 42-year rule. Large explosions and the sound of jets over Tripoli on Thursday night indicated NATO likely has increased the intensity of its airstrikes on Gadhafi's key command and control military sites.

Middle East - The protest movement that has roiled the Arab world since January seems to gain steam on Fridays as protesters hit the streets after weekly Muslim prayer services. Demonstrations were seen breaking out in Damascus and Daraa, Syria, and violence was reported in Yemen. Meanwhile, a third human rights group accused Bahraini authorities of raiding hospitals and torturing doctors and patients in an effort to quell protests there.

Texas fires - Thousands of firefighters will try to seize the upper hand against nearly two dozen wildfires that have burned 1 million acres in hot, dry Texas. The fires claimed the life of a second firefighter, Elias Jaquez, on Thursday, officials said.

Post by:
Filed under: Christian • Environment • Libya • Lindsay Lohan • Middle East • NATO • Nevada • On the Radar • Religion • Texas • Vatican
  1. banasy, aka...banasy

Oh, observer, a postscript: these are blogs, and we are blogging. If you do not like what is said, skip over them. Buh bye.

April 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey

@ Outside Observer:
    That was an interesting point to consider.
    This is not the New York Times.
    This chat is a business. It functions well and, I'd bet, makes money.
    It will probably be here, with changing "regulars," a long time: probably longer than the New York Times.

April 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy, aka...banasy

And, possibly, longer than Outside Observer.

April 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

@Joey 5:10: You're welcome. Watch the trolls, they suk!

April 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Outside Observer

@banasy, aka...banasy,

Your comment strikes me as defensive and it makes me wonder why? I was just engaging with my observations and thoughts. And my post is far, far from any comparison to the "regs" chit-chat.

Also, you are commenting on CNN's blogs. If you want to be a blogger and do "blogging" then there are great places for that and they are free. Blogger.com, WordPress.com, Tumblr etc. You can setup a blog in a matter of minutes. Post whatever you want to discuss and your friends can comment etc. It would be your own personal blog and chatroom too. But, "blogging" is not commenting on CNN blogs. Even more so when it comes to chitchat.

And making a comments like: "If you do not like what is said, skip over them. Buh bye.", "And, possibly, longer than Outside Observer." Puts you in the same category as trolls, name highjackers and haters on this forum. Surprised you would resort to that.

@Joey,

Your last comment does not make sense. "New York Times", "chat business", "makes money"? I don't understand what you are saying and at this point quite frankly don't care.

I was making my own observations and my own viewpoints. banasy is right, about one one thing, in saying I don't have to read the non-sense and just skip over it. There just seemed to be so much back and forth, highjacking, name calling etc. And not on just this thread. So, I thought I would share my opinions on that subject.

It's the internet, it's one big sand box. You all obviously have a right to play in it.

I'm not responding anymore. I've wasted too much of my time on this foolishness. I apologize on intruding on the "regs" territory.

April 22, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

oooh don't go! Imma new kid on the block, too...please don't leave me! Please...don't....leave.......me.....here!
      ...........................with.....with...the regulars.................................................
      ..............................................................
      ...................................................please!

April 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey

@ Cesar (the Real):
    I'm surprised to meet you: your impersonator has addressed me several times with hostility.
    This new outlook is a good thing!

April 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cesar

Good luck. He/she is an a/hole.

April 22, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey

@ Outside Observer:
    "Doesn't make sense?"
    I have reread my post several times with an eye (two eyes) experienced in discerning both clarity and logic or a lack of these elements (or either of them).
    Your assertion that my post lacks clarity and/or logic ("sense") is unfounded.
    I'm not sure that you could understand what I said if it were written in simplistic, journalistic style by Hemingway.
    Why don't you get a good night's sleep and read my post again tomorrow morning after drinking a pot of hot, black coffee. You might understand my writing then, or you might not.
    If you want to "share," do that at your program. Thank you for sharing here, anyway.
    Your gratuitous advise will frequently evoke contradiction. Don't expect to force your advise on (all) others by using the transparent device of labeling contradiction as "defensive." Many persons understand these techniques better than you (do).
    Guilt, which you tried to elicit here, is one of the most powerful weapons in the world. Unfortunately for your technique of manipulation, most persons know this and do not respond to guilt-making remarks and whines at all.

April 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey

Typo: advice,
    not advise.

April 22, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

Defensive? No. Explanatory? Yes.
    Nice try; you won't be here to read this, by your own admission; however, you still amuse me. Have a fabulous Easter

April 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

Hi, banasy.
    I don't wish that one a happy anything. He/she tried to ruin my MTGFE..

April 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ole Lady

I think outside observer is making a valid point. Other peeps want to hear other peeps view on the articles and not having the blog filled with small talk. They want us to stay on topic. I offer my apologies to all here. And will try to stay on point. The fact remains this is a news blog not a chat room and I should respect that fact. Have a great Easter Everyone.

April 22, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey

You Betcha Sweet
    As that Outside Observer will be reincarnated under a different name.

April 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Uh hummm. Hope I'm not interupting anyth...well, acually I am hoping just that! "I say I say Isay I still say we have enuff a them earthdays fa shore....and I an I andI I say a we oughta nix earthday!"–Foghorn Legghorn. (2 g's?)

April 23, 2011 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

"Evabody awwready cleared out I rechon"

April 23, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |