Gotta Watch: Born in the USA
President Obama releases his long-form birth certificate to quiet rumors about his citizenship.
April 27th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Born in the USA

After years of speculation and several major media outlets debunking claims, President Obama moved to put rumors about his birth certificate to bed by releasing the long-form document. While this may quiet some of the noise from some so-called "birther" conspiracy theorists, it may not be enough for others. In today's gotta watch we take a look at some of the most vocal "birthers" and their years-long quest to see Obama's birth certificate. And if you're still not sure what all the stink is all about, we've got a cheat sheet here.

The born conspiracy? – "Birther" movement leader Orly Taitz has been very vocal about her doubts concerning the president's birth place. She even took the issue to a California court. She said her goal was to find out if Obama was U.S. citizen and to hold a special presidential election if he wasn't.

"Birther" solider refuses deployment – One soldier adamantly refused his deployment orders, saying Barack Obama wasn't born in America and therefore ineligible to be president and give military orders. The soldier claimed there was "significant evidence" Obama wasn't born in Hawaii.

"Birther" outburst – Here, a "birther" only dubbed as "The Interrupter" cries out during the congressional reading of the constitution, earning her a place on the Ridiculist.

What's the next issue for "birthers"? – You guessed it, President Obama's grades. Anderson Cooper digs in with info about the president's education, but we're guessing the next documents to be unearthed will be his report cards.

1. obama is cool

Obama laid down a trap. The "birthers" went in thinking it was kill. Obama closed the trap. Obama won using "attack by drawing". Good political chess game. Love it.

April 27, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

yeah he waited until trump declared to the world that his extensive research has turned up that the certificate does not exist and made him look a right fool.

April 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Ronin

Well said and it shows the right has no focus or ability to see what is foolish and what is real:)

The Ronin

April 27, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NoWay

Insane 'birthers' – not worthy of living in this country. Go elsewhere.

April 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chia

He's still an awful leader.

April 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. frank harrison

Not so fast! Not so fast! Thank heavens we have Donald Trump to ask the important questions. Just because another so called "longer certificate" was produced that doesn't prove it was the president's. I looked closely at the pictures of the child that was born in Hawaii. Sure it has a slight degree of the look of the man that lied his way into the presidency
    but how do we know it was him just because he says it's his certificate. Now the Birthers should go after a more important issue. How do we know that the so called president is really black? (Of course that's not the real issue with us Birthers) but lets look into it. Go Donald! Oh myt god! suppose they start looking into whether or not that piece on Donald's head is really Foreign Country Grass) On second thouhgh in the words of SNL "Never Mind".

April 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • proudtobeademocrat

You are truly sad. Of all the things in life that you have lost, I bet you miss your mind the most...

April 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • StevieP

Hey...I got the sarcasm, too bad others did not lol

April 27, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. James Sachtjen

The world is at war,and the economy is in shambles but I feel so much better now that I know Obama was born in the US.Partisan politics is operating as usual where nothing gets done.Meanwhile the price of oil is about to once again raise the price of everything to the point the average person can't afford to pay for anything.Maybe when China takes over the world economy things will get better,because our govt. can't seem get their act together.The financial insitutions are allowed to ruin the housing market,and what is the solution our brilliant leaders come up with,bail them out.Any idiot could have seen this coming.You lend money to people that are not going to be able to make the payments what did they think was going to happen.But then they only care about their own profits and bonuses not what the effect of their stupidity is going to be.I am thinking the closer I get to retirement that maybe I need to get involved in politics so that their can be at least one voice of reason out there.Politics as usual is ruining this country and I think it is time for us all to stand up and take a more active part in the desicions that affect us instead of just complaining after the damage has been done.

April 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Embarrassed American

Im my state showing your birth certificate is optional, and yes...2 years later questioning if the President of the United States is actually a citizen is very racist! Why? Did you ask George Bush for his birth certificate?

April 27, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Enough

Are you on crack? Seriously? He forged or had his birth certificate forged. Of all the issues to worry about you stupid birther people still dwell on the most non-important. Tsunamis, floods, earthquakes and you worry about a birth certificate. Get over it already. We have a black president. It happened. Live it with it.

April 27, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Enough Said

BINGO! That's what this whole nonsense is all about – A Black Man for President!
      "Neener", "Neener", "Neener" to Mr. Dum-old Frump and all you whack job birthers! I can't wait for him to win AGAIN! Get a life!

April 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JJP

Trump is a Jack Ass..and the birther are equally the same...

April 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tailspin tommy

Will this convince the birthers? I doubt it. As someone said earlier "there's no cure for stupid." Some people still believe the earth is flat and men never really landed on the moon regardless how much evidence to the contrary is presented. And Adolph Hitler is alive and well and living on the far side of the moon.

April 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gary Jaussaud

I think there are too many people in America with way too much time on their hands, to sit and worry about where the
    President of the United States was born. If these same people went to work and helped get this country back on its feet,
    they would not have the time to sit and worry. I am 68 years old and hold down two jobs, I could get a third if I wanted, but I am too old and I get tired, I do my part, so lets everyone do their part as well to make this country great again.

April 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JJP

Trump and the birther are idiots....

April 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JPX

Oh this won't be enough for the nuts, they will find a way to debunk this as being a real certificat. The nuts are heavily invested in this "conspiracy", which means no amount of proof will make a diffeence. I guarantee that by day's end there will be cries of, "It's a fake, it's a fake" because admitting the alternative would be too painful ("I was wrong all along on this issue"). This will be cognitive dissonance at its finest! You could show a live birth of Obama and it wouldn't make a difference.

April 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lorne D. Gilsig

I'm embarrassed that a President of the United States was subject to such low-brow tactics from supposed "party leaders". What ever happened to showing loyalty to the Commander-In-Chief?

April 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • clarke

I so agree with you.

April 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. XMH III

SOOOOO tired of people Playing the Race card on this and actually caring where he's from.. REALLY people WAKE UP... WHO CARES.....ALL this is is a diversion.. Our ADHD Society cant focus on one thing long enough to care about REAL issues like hunger, Health care, Energy and The econonmy.. PLEASE.. PLEASE.. Let it rest now.. get your minds back into the game we are losing.. and I would at LEASDT like to see our country inthe playoffs

April 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tailspin tommy

I'm 63 and have never had to produce my birth certificate for any job or any position. I was told I did need a copy once when I visited Mexico about 25 yrs ago. I don't recall anyone ever looking at it though.

April 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |