Widow 'overwhelmed' by news that husband delivered baby Obama
Ivaless Sinclair says husband David Sinclair, who died in 2003, never mentioned his connection to President Obama.
April 27th, 2011

Widow 'overwhelmed' by news that husband delivered baby Obama

The widow of the doctor whose signature is on President Obama's birth certificate was honored to learn of her husband's role in bringing the future president into the world and hoped the document would end debate over his citizenship.

"It is a great thrill and a great honor and I had no idea," Ivalee Sinclair, an Obama supporter, said Wednesday in a phone interview from her home in Honolulu, Hawaii.

"I was just overwhelmed with the news."

David Sinclair's name appears as the attending physician on the live birth certificate that the White House released Wednesday in response to doubts over his citizenship. The "birther debate" has waxed and waned since Obama's presidential campaign, returning with renewed vigor last week due in large part to the efforts of billionaire entrepreneur Donald Trump.

According to the document, Obama was born on August 4, 1961, in the Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital in Honolulu, where David Sinclair spent most of his career delivering around 10,000 babies, his wife said.

Sinclair served in World War II as a fighter pilot before going to medical school and embarking on a decades-long career as a respected physician.

"I just know he loved what he was doing and he had a wonderful rapport with his patients," Ivalee Sinclair said. "When he passed away, many called to share funny stories that he'd shared with them, to tell me they'd named children after him or other such honors, so I know he was dearly loved by his patients."

Ivalee Sinclair said she hoped the birth certificate would put the matter to rest and echoed President Obama's remarks that the country had "better stuff to do."

"I think President Obama was correct when he said it was a distraction that takes away from the real issues and we have huge, huge real issues that our country is facing," she said. "We need people to work together not at one another’s throats."

She said she didn't think her husband knew of his connection to the president because he died in 2003, before Obama announced his candidacy. But if he did, he never mentioned it.

"Physicians honor the confidentiality of their patients so he never said anything to me about this, and at that time, we had no way of knowing that President Obama was going to be president," she said.

1. Vegan

The certificate is obviously a forgery.

April 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary Ugarek

Of course it is a forgery, because you birthers can't stand the fact the BC is real, and it ended a long debate. The real reason for all the BS this man has had to endure is simply because most Americans can't handle having an African American president. Face facts and do yourself a favor.... look into the mirror and just accept the fact you're a racist and nothing will change that until you come to grips wiith it.

In the years I can remember political back and forths President Obama has endured the most criticism than any other president to have ever served office... next to maybe Lincoln when he freed slaves.

Before you stands an intelligent man, as commander in chief and you people can't give him 5 minutes to work on real issues because you want to hang him from a tree... because his skin color doesn't meet the status quo.

April 28, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. JACK

Because you are millionaire,does not mean you have common sense.

April 27, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Obama is a millionaire. I would assume he has common sense.

April 28, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
    • JB Cal

One only has to listen to Trump to know that

April 28, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. LV

Wonderful story. So pleased for this lovely woman.

April 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Floria sigmundi

That could have been anyones hands at the urethane of mrs Obama almost 50 years ago.

April 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. markiejoe

Donald Trump is a moron.

First off, photos of the long-form certificate have been in the internet for at least a year now, and attested to by those who have seen and photographed it. Check factcheck.org, among others.

Second, did Donald really think that Obama's parents, doctors, hospital, relatives, etc. all hatched a conspiracy when he was born - NOT KNOWING that he would become anything important - to conceal and lie about the real place of his birth? Why on earth would anyone go through all that trouble for their newborn baby? His mother was a U.S. citizen, so Obama's citizenship was not the issue. Everyone involved in the coverup would have had to have been clairvoyant and know that someday baby Obama would be President of the United States.

Repeating, Donald Trump is a moron.

April 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. I Bet...

I haven't read any comments, yet...but I bet 50% are by those holding on to some theory that they picked a dead doctor so he couldn't confirm the delivery.

April 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dawg

Since having a white mother and black father does that make him blite or whack?

April 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • D23

Not sure, but that "joke" makes you a dumb a-s-s.

April 28, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ryanzydiak

One thing that really gets to me is that Donald Trump is a person I have always looked up to as a wonderful entrepreneur and very witty business man. But what I cannot understand is how horribly he is smearing his chances at being president like he is. I think that this birth issue about Obama is grade-school gossip and immature! I'm very surprised to hear Trump act so retarded! I figured him as a little more intelligent in the fact of trying to convince people he is a better man for our economy and international relations. I know for a fact that he would be good at those things... Now the problem is that now he has created a buzz that will more or less put him on the same page as Sara Palin. Morons that only care about themselves... What a shame. I'm very liberal but I probably would've voted for Trump in an election before all of this... Now, forget it!!!

April 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rita

I also believe Trump is only discrediting his own business & shows to be a very poor looser. He does not practice
      The advice he gives on his Realty Show. A president must have a larger vision and spirit & he is not qualified. How would Donald Trump Respond if others Would question if it was acceptable if the First Lady was a foreign national and resident for a few years?

April 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cocopuf2

The whole controversy abut this birth certificate sounds a bit fishy to me ... Why didn't the doctor come out a long time ago to reveal it in a talk show like Larry King? or any other like CNN, etc. Why now all of a sudden? I'm just curious. lol

April 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ummmm

I guess you didn't read the story very well. The doctor died in 2003, 8 years ago ... moron!

April 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • tony

because the doctor died in 2003 you moron! read the story !

April 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kipskyjack

How would he know prior to passing away in 2003 that Barack Obama was to be president in 2008? LMAO! Not only that, after delivering 10,000 babies, how could he remember one from so long ago?

April 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh Americawhen

@Cocopuf2

Please read the article again, The Doctor Died in 2003. Do you remember when the election took place? Well 2008, that is 5 years after the doctor died. For all others that still do not believe that he was born in America, HOW SMART WILL IT BE FOR A WHITE WOMAN (who's parents were in America) to go to Africa and have her baby? Let me see, better health care system, I do not think so. Also what was the plane that she took.

The whole issue is about his Race, Please, Please get over it

April 27, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sanchz

i had to laugh at this!! waht a DUMB4$$!!!!!

April 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • rearingeddie

Are you kidding? You must be cuz no one can be that dumb ... or can they?

April 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • HK from Seattle

Oh, please. Do some study. Read newspapers, books harder! Haven't you heard doctor/patient confidentiality?

April 28, 2011 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
    • D23

Please, don't vote in the 2012 election.

April 28, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Donald the Chump

I want to see her long form marriage certificate. How do I know she was married to the Dr?

April 27, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Donald the Chump

I need to see her long from marriage certificate.... this may be the biggest fraud ever, even greater than my claim to have real hair...

April 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BENJI

I wanna see the placenta to know for sure he was born in the US.

April 27, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jerry Vinter

Next on Tea Party News:

The BC is a forgery by David Sinclair's wife who is an Obama supporter. She forged her late husband's signature and Obama paid an unspecified amount of money to Tom Cruise to smuggle the fake BC into Hawaii state records.

April 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ronnie

Racist like you will never be conviced

April 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • JaneSmith

It's really not about race. But is is about religious loyalty because Sharia is very specific about that.

April 28, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • vospek

If you dont know what's going in this country because of another race in office, then It is true blind people cannot see and the deaf cannot hear. Let's get some sense even though common sense is not always common.

April 28, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • JaneSmith

Again, this isn't about race. Instead Islam is very specific about their subjects. If an apostate does not return to Islam upon invitation (which Obama received at the last hajj) then he is an apostate. The penalty is death.

April 28, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Smith

Really Jane. So you are an expert on Islam. You know what happened at the last Hajj.

April 28, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • JEM1789

Well, Jane, I guess that means that this threat of death to Barack Obama if he doesn't leave his Christian faith and become a Muslim would make him a Christian martyr if he was killed for reason. The first President to be martyred for this Christian faith. If he were Catholic, he could then become St. Barack. Anyway, that is just one more good reason to admire the man.

April 28, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • DeniseBarber

"Racist"??? HAHAHAHA!!!! I know you diots think that tactic still works – bu you're wrong.

April 28, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Jocko33

How can anyone be racist about OBama? He's just as much White as he is Black. I don't care if he's pink and purple with green polka dots. He hasn't convinced me he is competent.

May 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. fjames

give it up some people need to learn how to be a good looser

April 27, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |