CBS' Lara Logan describes being sexually assaulted in Egypt's Tahrir Square
April 28th, 2011

CBS' Lara Logan describes being sexually assaulted in Egypt's Tahrir Square

CBS News correspondent Lara Logan broke her silence in an interview published in The New York Times Thursday about being sexually assaulted in Egypt's Tahrir Square while covering the country's political uprising.

Logan said she thought she was going to die after a group of men ripped her away from her producer and bodyguard on February 11 as she was preparing a story for "60 Minutes." They tore at her clothes and groped her body for about 40 minutes, she told the newspaper.

"For an extended period of time, they raped me with their hands,” Logan said, estimating the attack involved 200 to 300 men. "What really struck me was how merciless they were. They really enjoyed my pain and suffering. It incited them to more violence."

Logan is expected to describe the attack in greater detail on "60 Minutes" Sunday night.

The assault occurred while she and a camera crew traversed Tahrir Square to capture the celebrations after President Hosni Mubarak's announcement that he would resign.

Egyptian colleagues accompanying the camera crew heard men nearby talking about taking off Logan’s pants, the newspaper reported.

"Our local people with us said, 'We've gotta get out of here.' That was literally the moment the mob set on me."

She was separated from her producer and two locally hired drivers, Jeff Fager, the chairman of CBS News and the executive producer of “60 Minutes,” told the Times. Her bodyguard was only able to hold onto her for a brief period.

A group of women and about 20 Egyptian soldiers intervened to rescue the correspondent, the network said. She was flown back to the United States.

The interview marks the first time she has commented publicly about the assault, which the network reported four days after it occurred. There were no reports of arrests made in the incident.

Earlier during the Cairo protests, Logan and her crew were detained overnight and interrogated.

Logan told the Times she decided almost immediately to not keep silent about the attack and chose to speak about sexual violence on behalf of "millions of voiceless women who are subjected to attacks like this and worse."

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. M

These are the same caliber of men we are spending millions on to liberate in this and other islamic countries. Why? They won't change and all they will do is use their weapons to shot back at us when it is over. Both the republocraps and the democraps are out of their minds.
    Get us out of the U.N. and get these moron's out of office. We have enough problems here in America and we are broke for Pete's sake. How stupid can a government get?

April 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

Very well said,M. I completely agree. The men who attacked her need to be prosecuted and that's that! And we need to get out of the Middle East asap,too!!!

April 29, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Name*barbara dollard

This story sickens me.I can't imagine the complete horror she must have felt & helplesness for so long. No one should ever have to go through anything like this. Hopefully these men will be caught & punished .

April 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • One flame can pierce the darkness

Not hardly, you're missing the bigger picture. In unrest, war, and bigger is better, stronger is tougher and humility is out the door: children and women are first-line for assaults, abuse and molestations, next the marginalized: mentally challenged, sick, mentally ill, next the elderly and the dying, next those oppressed: economically, educationally, racially, politically...next socially: supporting families are erased : unemployment benefits, welfare assistants, church, child care, divorce, housing, schools, next judicially the laws are corrupt, laws that contradict truth, laws that endose and protect acts of evil, laws that abolish justice, laws that no longer reflect natural laws or Divine laws, next corrupt leaders and election of corrupt and ungodly men. It does not happen in any particular order, while these principles are being implemented the architect of these illicit principles divide the people against one another with various forms of hatredness until there is hatredness even against God with the sole purpose to prevail and oppress everyone and cattle future generations under this bondage. This toxic process was long brewing before these dogs circled this women. It is good that she spoke up so that the world can see evil and its process clearly.

April 28, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shakey

Highly doubtful that anyone will ever face consequences

April 29, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • popeye

Judging by the fact that Egypt is being governed by a lot of leftovers from the Hosni Mubarak regime,I'm afraid Shakey's right. Nobody will be prosecuted for this!

April 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce & Kimberley Stanfield

I agree, Lara did not deserve this, no one does, those who did the are animals and I hope they get punished somehow for their Sins. From the moment I heard about this it made me angry and sad that humans in this day of age can inflict such horror to another. Lara – our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

May 1, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey

@ JB:
    I think that you are more desperate to get attention than anyone else that I have ever encountered.
    To resort to that much absurdly gross and nauseating lack of respect for others, you must subconsciously consider yourself the least valuable person on earth.

April 28, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Yes , having low self worth is not pretty.
      @ JB , you need to take a long hard look at yourself before posting here again were others can see your lack of character.

April 28, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jason

JB you loser. Hahahahahaha you are so pathetic

April 29, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

This is an example of what men in the middle of a war/revolution think of their women, or any woman, for that matter. They consider things like this perfectly acceptable in wartime...or even entertainment. Sick and twisted mentalities rule.

How sad.

April 29, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. abc

"These are the same caliber of men we are spending millions on to liberate in this and other islamic countries. Why? "

Everybody has a right to evolve! Those men/women will change!

Democracy is what they need, although democracy by itself will not bring them new consciousness.

For that maybe the Religion has to be different. But that is very personal thing...

The western world and people have their Universal Declaration of Human Rights, but that
    is something unknown to the people in Egypt.

Please, don't forget that exactly women and military solders from the same Egypt people have saved her.

April 29, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. K

Not that I condone, in any way, what happened to Ms. Logan but as a woman, I feel it was utterly irresponsible of her network to send her there in the midst of such chaos and really it was also irresponsible of her to take the assignment. I understand the desire to report what occurs but it is commonly known that men in those parts of the world (not all but in large part) have absolutely no regard for women and treat them poorly, often abuse them physically and emotionally and sometimes even kill them, with no repercussions. Knowing this, why would the network risk harm to this woman and why would she accept such a risk? It is like consciously daring the worst to happen. She's lucky that she didn't lose her life. Perhaps the networks will take this as a lesson and stop sending vulnerable reporters to dangerous places. I like to think I can do anything a man can do, too but the cold reality is that is simply NOT always true.

April 29, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry M

Sorry, K, but it seems to me that you are blaming the victim/s. I don't buy it, a reporter should be able to report the news without fearing for her/his life. At least that is the way it generally is in civilized countries. Don't shoot the messenger.

May 21, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. popeye

I know jazzzzzzz didn't write that

April 29, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzzzz

Thanks popeye , How's your house comming along ?

April 29, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. Riff*Raff

She went to Egypt because she's a journalist and it was news. Historical news. It's what she does as a career. She and CBS were negligent? Being a woman means she should watch it on TV? Is it 1956?

April 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. popeye

Sorry people,as I'm no Tea Partier I don't post using that kind of language as the jerk did the above using my name. There's no place on this web page for that kind of lingo!!!

April 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kerry

Bottom line, this goes beyond mob mentality when that many men are willing to participate in such a public, violent act. Unfortunately, it's cultural. Their society re-enforces this behavior. Men are allowed to get away with it. Their government is run by men who believe this is acceptable. I visited Egypt for 3 weeks back in 2004 and felt an undercurrent of resentment from the men in Cairo. This is what happens when that undercurrent becomes justifiable to them with the courage of a mob. In reality, they are living their fantasy and getting even with everyone who seems to have more than they do, especially women and foreign at that. Outside of Cairo I didn't feel quite the same resentment. While in Cairo the Egyptian men kept asking me why Americans in general did not travel to their country....they never need to ask again, they answered that question themselves.

April 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • FARID

Hi dear,i'm 40 yrs old American Egyptian and trust me we all raised to respect our mothers, sisters and all our female friends in school or collage , i'm used to give my my seat to womens in the bus or train , so please don't judge all 80 millions Egyptian by such incident , do you remember what happened in central park New York , bad guys are all over the place .. my heart goes out for her and I hope one day those low life will put in trial .
      Thanks

May 2, 2011 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jazzzzzzz

For an extra $5.00 popeye and myself will wear our matching drag queen camping ensemble. Being gay is awesome (This is what popeye always says)!

April 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. IKHAN

@ M

"these are the same caliber of men we are spending millions to liberate in this and other islamic countries"
    What a load of non-sense.
    How many such incidents have you recorded or heard of in these countries? Secondly we are doing nothing to liberate people we are looking after our own economic or strategic interests or those of our so called allies when we invade or bomb countries.

@ Kerry
    I have visited countries in the Middle East frequently & lived in some too. Never once I ever came across an incident like this or sensed thousands of tourists who are there all the time, facing this dread you speak about.
    This incident, if we accept its credibility in entirety, happened at a time which can hardly be called normal in a country.

April 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sue

It's horrible what Ms Logan went through; I'm so very, very sorry for her suffering. The bravery that she is showing now in reporting what happened to her is going to help us all start realizing the extent of abuse that women in that country (and others) are subjected to. It's barbaric. Even with the reports you hear on the news, I had no idea... what can we do?

April 29, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |