Overheard on CNN.com: How to defy a tornado
April 28th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: How to defy a tornado

Exchange of the Day:

“I'm from New Jersey and I actually never heard anyone blame anything on God there. It was pretty refreshing.” - shanker67

“Apparently you've never visited a story on Texas.” - slimjoe51

Southern storms: 'I don't know how anyone survived'

Hundreds of people were killed when a storm front swept tornadoes into six southern states. Alabama was hardest hit. Some drew comparisons to the "super outbreak" of tornadoes of 1974, when 148 tornadoes were reported in 13 states and 330 people died.

Exopolitics said, “I've never heard so many tornado sirens in my life! This year has been really bad and yesterday was one of the scariest days of my life.”

Dano973 said, “ I moved out to southern California for work three months ago. My wife, family and friends are still back in Georgia. Last night was terrifying for everyone, including myself. I'll trade one major earthquake for what they're going through this spring. This is the fourth severe storm in the past month...”

judyblueeyes said, “One of the predicted effects of climate change is more severe weather all over the world. Could this be a factor in these tornado outbreaks?”

Some CNN.com readers called for stronger buildings, such as houses structured for Category-5 resistance. But rhquad said “Those Cat 5 homes are built for 100-mph winds. Even moderate tornadoes can far exceed that. If you wanted a tornado-proof house, you'd have to design for winds over 350 mph.”

mslman71 said, “The probability of being hit by a tornado is so incredibly small that the extra cost is simply not warranted. While the loss is terrific for these people, more will die driving to work in the next week than from the worst outbreak of tornados in however many years."

RadarENG said, “Brick buildings stood no chance in Tuscaloosa. Many of the brick buildings are gone.”

schnuptz said, “Storm shelters are what save lives, not homes.”

GTsxtysix said, “ I think we need to seriously rethink the way we build our homes and offices, even if only to make just one room a survivable shelter. Otherwise, we basically have to learn to live with Mother Nature occasionally coming to town and tearing it to shreds.”

Armadillos linked to leprosy in humans

A new study confirming a genetic connection between armadillos and human leprosy had CNN.com readers discussing the pros and cons of armadillo cuisine. SeamanStainz said, “C'mon. Who eats armadillos?” rothgar replied, “Possum on the half shell.”

CommonSenzWA said, “As kids growing up in nowhere Florida, we ate armadillos all the time. The meat is dark and very sweet. It was just taken as common knowledge that they carried leprosy and that all meats had to be thoroughly cooked.”

supervhell said, “I'm just a country boy about to turn 60, and until my early 20s we ate a lot of armadillos–even went out one evening and put more than 50 in the freezer. It sounds like someone wants to put a scare on for some reason.”

TexTeacher said, “When I was a Boy Scout (during the 1960s in central Texas) we ate armadillos during camp outs. We did this for years and never got sick. Then in the 1980s, Lone Star Beer commercials featured a beer-drinking armadillo. Folks started trapping and stuffing them. Word got out that they carried leprosy and people quit hunting them.“

6251 said, “I have heard that some peoples of South America keep varieties of armadillos as edible house pets. During the Depression, hungry people often ate armadillos. They were called “Hoover hogs” by people angry with President Herbert Hoover’s broken promise of a chicken in every pot. The meat is said to taste like fine-grained, high-quality pork.”

DougLenatSux said, “I was in El Salvador when my wife's aunt set the dinner table with armadillo. I told her I couldn't eat it, as it was so far outside of what I was accustomed to eating. I urged my pregnant wife not to eat it too. This was before I learned of the connection between armadillos and leprosy. About 15 years later, this aunt died of some disease that presented itself with skin lesions. In short, I think she died from eating armadillo.”

cpc65 said, “Surgeon General's Warning: Eating the Road Kill May Be Hazardous to your Health.”

The best-worst film titles of all time

The new movie “The Beaver,” starring Mel Gibson, sparked a discussion about which movies have the worst titles. While CNN.com writer Lisa France listed such duds as ‘Stop! Or My Mom will Shoot!’ ‘Snakes on a Plane’ and ‘Octopussy,’ readers had their own suggestions.

parooka999 said, “Um...how could you forget ‘Spanking the Monkey’?”

Razdex said, “I'm surprised I haven't seen many posts for ‘The Human Stain.’ “

kltrvltre said, “Bad titles? ‘Pardon My Vasectomy’ must surely rank among Hollywood's more tasteless moments.”

palustris said, “I can't believe "Meet the Fockers" isn't on there! That is the worst name of all time.”

ShannonNutt said, “Are you kidding me, CNN? ‘Snakes on a Plane’ is one of the best titles of all time. And I'm surprised you didn't mention the upcoming ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ as one of those ill-advised titles.”

kommoncentz1 said, “They forgot ‘The Firm’: coincidentally enough a Tom Cruise movie.”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below, or sound off on video.

1. banner

I couldn't believe the networks were talking about a "ROYAL WEDDING" while people in America were being killed by tornados.The networks are a day late in America.

April 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toto

In all fairness to the networks, when the worst of these storms was taking hold, they had personnel heading to England. And as Brian Williams reported this evening, they flew back just to cover the aftermath. So, lighten up on accusing the networks of being cold. It's just a matter of responding when they can safely do so. That is unless you feel that a reporter should be right in the center of the action. Who would watch, since most of us would be taking cover. Believe me, you're going to get all the storm damage coverage you can stomach over the next week.

April 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chance

What really needs to happen is for us to develop the ability to build areas of high pressure in strategic locations when forecasters are predicting scenarios appropriate for tornadic development. The locations of these high pressure domes would allow protection of densly habitated areas by steering the low pressures associated with tornadic activity away.
      If we sent Humans to the moon, split the atom, and cloned animals we can surely develop an area of high pressure in the atmosphere to steer these storms to more remote locations or dissipate them all together. I have lived in remote areas and appreciate the folks that endure that lifestyle and wouldn't want to leave them defenseless as well...so that is where the bunker or tonadoe shelters come into play. Tornado shelters aren't exactly cheap, so supplying the areas of where the tornados are going to be directed with tornado shelters would be a must do priorioty in order to protect those individuals within the path of the storms bypass from the urban centers. This may sound too futuristric, but hey, it's a start. You physic, meteroligical, and engineer folks need to colaborate and figure out a way to create areas of high pressure. Sorry, I'm a only a Geologist. My heart and prayers go out to those who experienced and/or suffered any part of this tornado outbreak.

April 29, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. ArchitectOfTheFuture

We need to analyze what types of building structures held up the best to these devastating tornadic events and use that knowledge to fortify our current housing structures and/or future housing structures.

April 28, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toto

The cost to build a house,let alone a building, that can withstand an F5 storm would be prohibitive. It's a combination of wind and drastically different pressure differentials inside and outside the tornado.

April 28, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

It is possible to build cheaply. Just build under ground.

April 28, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • oneSTARman

F5 Proof Home – Think Underground Missile Silo

April 28, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mmmmm

I can't believe people are eating armadillos. Just plain stupid and crazy. Eating shelled hogs should be outlawed. Leprosy is difficult to cure and contagious. That doctor who said otherwised is cRaZy!

April 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. VPCAM50

First, accept the fact that President Obama is an American Citizen and that he has been elected by the majority of the people in this nation. Second, accept the fact that Barak Obama is the President of our country and the leader of the free world. Third, since the mother nature is always punching the Red states, come next election become a Blue Sate. The problem is solved.

April 28, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. satanballs666

La Nina

April 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tornadoes or Termites or floods

Given the history of tornadoes, termites or floods (New Orleans) we still use the wood again and again only waiting to be destroyed. Unfortunately, we continue to build houses out of wood by destroying the trees the only breathing lungs of green house gases your family has, common sense. Those who oppose try letting your family breath in Co2. Do we not care for having oxygen to breath in the future for your own kids? Why can't we build houses out of cement that absorbs co2 and is environmentally friendly to produce, technology does exist. Even the poor neighborhoods in the lot of countries would be able to withstand such powerful tornadoes just because its cement base. You could save the houses, the lungs and reduce future natural catastrophes by 'a single preventive measure' require small adjustment in society and corporation. To answer my own question we continue to use the excuses of loosing economy (handful of timber corporations loosing money or they say) and they exaggerated on loosing few thousands jobs as if there are no alternatives for employees. This can also avoid burden on tax payers. We can't have it all and not everything has to be about stabbing the mother nature to save the business profits or jobs. It would require some sacrifice now for secure and better future for your own kids & family.

April 28, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tornadoes or Termites or floods

Whether its hardwood floors or wooden house, I will never buy it myself. If demand shifts towards cement by consumer it would automatically save us from loosing another house and lot more.

April 28, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. estebangonzolaz

April 29, 2011 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. estebangonzolaz

There is a wonderful effort by FaceBook to connect the victims of the tornado with their love ones and belongings, in the southland of America and I love it so much. The people in the tornado will get my help although prayers are more I can offer than anything else except for a few dollars. I know they are proud people and will build their towns again and i pray for that. What Facebook is doing is so great and if I can help please let me know! estebangonzolaz@google.com Lets help them rebuild!

April 29, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Phil

no one gives an ish about the wedding. You may have 1 out of 100 people that actually care in the US.

April 29, 2011 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. angela

I donated to the tornado fund. I hope it gets there. Praying for all of you

April 29, 2011 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Chance

April 29, 2011 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. vamp2324

Why is it that every time someone gets sick they blame it on some poor creature because we decided that said creature was edable and we had know idea how to cook it and got sick so now said creature is unsafe and has a deadly disease because of are own stupidity

April 29, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Gman

although deaths due to mother nature are horrific, 40,000 people die each year from automobile accidents. This FAR exceeds deaths due to tornadoes.

April 29, 2011 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Restoring Wings

Question was, how do you cotrol a tornado? Well how do you control the wrath of God? We are at the end of age and all these horrific events are recorded in the Bible. We cannot control tornadoes, just like we cannot control God.

April 29, 2011 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
    • wilson

lol

April 29, 2011 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • J

How do you control a tornado? Easy. Call Red Tornado.

April 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. squeeker

The wrath of god??...what like this was the first bad storm ever...religious idiotyou people say the same thing every year the wrath of god.lol

April 29, 2011 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |