Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research
A federal court has lifted a ban on federal funding for stem cell research.
April 29th, 2011

Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research

A federal court has given the Obama administration the go-ahead to continue embryonic stem cell research.

The controversial 2-1 decision Friday is a victory for supporters of federally funded testing for a range of diseases and illnesses.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia lifted an injunction imposed last year by a federal judge, who said all embryonic stem cell research at the National Institutes of Health amounted to destruction of embryos, in violation of congressional spending laws.

The case is Sherley v. Sebelius (10-5287).

See CNN's full coverage of the court's stem cell research decision
Post by:
Filed under: Science • Stem cell research
  1. Hippie

@Amused.... Nothing funny a*hole

April 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hippie

From now on you have to collect your mothers kum

April 29, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hippie

Fuk you

April 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Here goes another fan of Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann,using their choice of words. This dude is evidently a Tea Partier himself!!!

April 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jonathan

Truth is no one really knows when life begins. And I am willing to admit that I have no idea either. IMO I believe that if there is a heart beat, then that would seem to be a human being. I am sure many others will disagree, and that is fine. I respect other people's opinions, but I don't come onto message boards and start the "name calling" just because someone disagrees with my opinions. As far as my opinion on stem cell research, I see no problems with it. Again this is just my opinion. Disagree if you want, but please stop with the childish remarks.

April 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Life begins since the beginning of time begins at conception: when the sperm fertilizes the eggs...not when it implants...not when it is born...it begins at conception

April 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

So at what point did you yourself begin Jonathan???

April 30, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cesar

The Dickey-Wicker law needs to be flushed right down the drain along with Helms-Burton!!! But the right-wing fanatics on Capitol Hill won't let it happen any time soon,unfortunately.

April 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hippie

@Cesar he took the words or his dik out of your wide mouth

April 29, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cesar

Come on Hippie,did either Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann put you up to posting the above? If they didn't,then why are you using their choice of words? I do wish that you'd cut that Tea Party lingo out as it has no place here like I said before.

April 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hippie

@duder... Stop asking stupid questions you stupid ass.... Eat my balls

April 29, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ricko

How come nobody cares about the future babies that die cause of women menstrual cycles? WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

April 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mad Hatter

Great news that research will continue. A big step to helping others suffering in this world.

April 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

except the suffering human embryos!

April 30, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. jerry

My concern is that the medical community does not have any issue defining when life ends. When brain activity and a pulse are no longer present, doctors will declare you dead, yet when brain activity and a pulse are there very early in a fetus, many people still want to call it just tissue. I would settle for the same science/ medical standard being used at both ends of the time line. When it is ok to burn the flesh off something with salt water and crush its skull before you pull it from the womb so it's dead just like you pithing a frog in a science class, we have lost our sense of humanity.

April 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Do embryonic stem cells have brain activity and a pulse?

April 29, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Also just so you know brain death without losing a pulse could also be considered death.

And just a comment, the US considers life to be after a live birth, or else all our would be children would be getting issued legal identification in the womb.

April 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey

That's a giant leap for mankind.

April 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey

Now comes the "slipper slope" nonsense.
    Pretty soon doctors will be saying that humans should be free to have s-
    ex with any other human they choose.

April 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dim Mak

Honestly I don't even need to read the comments posted here. Some atheists will be bashing God, some bible thumpers will be calling scientists murderers without knowing the facts. Why bother anymore?

April 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jesse Cook

Hey everybody,how about saving the innocent sperm? After all,sperm is alive and needs to be preserved too. Then again,what do I know? I'm just an ignorant Tea Partier who let's the government think for me.

April 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

@Steve: Like the US lawmakers and government is never wrong? These embryos are just going to be destroyed anyways. The bible freaks think we will be creating embryos strictly for the purpose of destroying them. More are thrown out daily than will ever be used for research. A supposedly godly person would rather just throw out that little baby, instead of using it for something life saving/changing. We can also use stem cells from teeth, bone marrow and umbilical cords.

April 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |