Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research
A federal court has lifted a ban on federal funding for stem cell research.
April 29th, 2011

Court lifts ban on federal funding for stem cell research

A federal court has given the Obama administration the go-ahead to continue embryonic stem cell research.

The controversial 2-1 decision Friday is a victory for supporters of federally funded testing for a range of diseases and illnesses.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia lifted an injunction imposed last year by a federal judge, who said all embryonic stem cell research at the National Institutes of Health amounted to destruction of embryos, in violation of congressional spending laws.

The case is Sherley v. Sebelius (10-5287).

See CNN's full coverage of the court's stem cell research decision
Post by:
Filed under: Science • Stem cell research
  1. Ancient Texan

MLKinAZ- Just so you'll know.....believers in the Bible out number non believers 86% to 14% in the U.S.A.

April 29, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Not exactly. There are FAR differing views on HOW MUCH of the Bible anyone believes, even if the numbers were correct.

April 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

consider that only about 45% of Americans are actually rabid fundamentalists that foam at the mouth just from the mere mention of abortion, and your numbers look far less impressive.

also consider that our government and bill of rights were set up to protect the rights of the minority, THEN consider that the smallest minority is the individual him/herself, and you face a dilemma ; are you willing to curtail the rights of the One because you believe that when you outnumber her its justified?

April 30, 2011 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dim Mak

@Ancient Texan:
    The majority of Americans (76%) identify themselves as Christians, mostly within Protestant and Catholic denominations, accounting for 51% and 25% of the population respectively.[4] Non-Christian religions (including Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism), collectively make up about 3.9% to 5.5% of the adult population.[4][5][6] Another 15% of the adult population identifies as having no religious belief or no religious affiliation.[4] When asked, about 5.2% said they did not know, or refused to reply. (You should get your facts straight before speaking, but Christians tend to ignore facts. Now go stone your child but not your cheating wife) btw.. Jesus is the guy nailing your wife. Have a blessed day.

April 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey

"Already crowded collective?"
    Yes, but...
    The more humans there are, the more humans there will be who choose to put 10% of their income into their Church's collection plate.

April 29, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pope Benedict Arnold XXL

@Joey: Anduh more ehh leetle boysuh for mee clergy yes? 😉

April 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

@ His Holiness:
    Haven't you broken our new covenant today?

April 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pope Benedict Arnold XXL

@Joey the sinner: ehh didn't you mean come in it? Ah it's one anduh de same. You senduh me money (cash preferred) den uh I putah me body ofuh christ inah you mouf. Yes?

April 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

I see nothing wrong with stem cell research. This decision is the correct one, in my opinion.

That being said, the stem cell debate has been raging on for *years*. To have anyone calling the POTUS "evil incarnate" for a decision on a matter that had been bandied about before he even began his political career is not only unfair and unwarranted, but extremely ignorant.

April 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pope Benedict Arnold XXL

@Joey the sinner: Oh.. Forgeev.. Me son.. Imuh nottah de troll.. I makeuh no deal only withuh de lord. De troll makeuh fun of de peepul ah here.. Imah spreading my loveuh all over ah you..

April 29, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pope Benedict Arnold XXL

@Joey the sinner: You eh seemed to breakuh your own ehh comeinit? You makeuh trolling comment about ehh me church anduh eets greed no?

April 29, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey

Hi, banasy.

April 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pope Benedict Arnold XXL

My favorite ehh breakfast eez uh eggs benedict.. My uhh favorite deezert eez a Hot boys fudge ehh on uh sunday.

April 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey

I kept the covenant.
    The comments I made was on topic, or related.

April 29, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey

Typo:
    Comments were.
    I had rewritten.

April 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dim Mak

@Pope: Lol!
    @Joey: I think the Pope was just agreeing with you from what I can tell. Took it a bit far, but he was just adding to your comment. Now kiss and make up. I've noticed the troll will impersonate users here. Pope didn't do that.

April 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Intellectual Property

I want my royalty checks!

April 29, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |