Overheard on CNN.com: Wedding bells and death knells
April 29th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Wedding bells and death knells

Exchange of the Day:
"The only normal looking person in this whole drama is the bride; the rest of them look like Martians or characters from a science fiction movie."–poulose

"You have to think of it like 'Star Wars' without the light sabers."–politauk

William and Catherine marry in royal wedding at Westminster Abbey

Two events shared center stage today: Prince William and Catherine’s wedding in London and the aftermath of a string of tornadoes that killed nearly 300 across the American Southeast. Some CNN.com readers argued over whether the coverage was balanced or appropriate, while others shared their feelings and experiences about the separate events.

alexjones999 said, “How wonderful. All of the problems in the world but the world is focused on this trivial nonsense.” bilbo0s said, “300 fellow Americans dead in Alabama. Countless lives of fellow Americans blown away in Alabama. What makes the front page? Will and Kate are getting married!!! That explains a lot about America.”

LaserMan72 said, “Which should have more priority? Over 300 people died in Storm (In USA) or Royal Wedding (Not even in USA). Give me a break.”

But mr60233 argued that “this is an international event. Look at a map. Do you see those other pieces of land? They are called countries, and believe it or not, people that are not American live in them. I am sorry 300 people died. However, tornadoes happen all the time in the USA, and people die every day. This kind of event (the wedding) happens once every 30 years or so.”

barbie1311 said, "There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a few moments out of one's life to get lost in a fairy tale. It does not take away anything from the tragedies of the world. It's all about balance."

chitown27 said, "I'm in London right now, went to Westminster this morning and it was unbelievable. Most Americans have no sense of history whatsoever, which is why the trolls keep complaining on here. It was awesome watching the procession, the history and the pomp."

Savannah416 said, "With roots in India, I am the last one to argue against comments against British colonization; however, given the state of the world today, I'm also able to set aside negative thoughts for a morning and relish the beauty of a wedding of two people who have been in love for quite awhile."

GuestColin said, “What a bunch of cranky people the lot of you are! I've bought a ring, planned it out and will be getting engaged this summer after a 3-year courtship. Best to Wills and Kate. The rest of you need to go take a nap!”

TreeTop said, “Beautiful dress. Happy couple. Awesome news!” Mjollnir said, “This seems as good a reason as any to have some gourmet food and a toast tonight. We need more reasons to celebrate. There are still good things in this world.” Ealdwulf said, “They do certainly seem to be in love.”

Shaken, dazed residents recount tornado horrors

One UK resident, checking news on both sides of the pond, wondered why there were concrete bomb shelters in British gardens but no concrete tornado shelters in the South. Other CNN.com readers shared what it was like during and after the storm.

scrubbed said, “Hell came to visit us here in Alabama on Wednesday. It was absolutely terrifying, especially once the power went out and even cell phones didn't work. All you could do was listen for the tornado sirens and pray you wouldn't be killed. We still have a house. Thousands don't. We've lost our food in the freezer, but so many lost their lives. Those of us who survived will be here for the families of those who didn't. I want my kids to understand that they have survived a very dark day in history. ln2dablue replied, “I feel for ya bro. I'm glad you made it.” crackiswhack said, “God bless and hang tight.”

BlogBlogger said, “I went out into my front lawn and removed tar paper and roofing shingles from the massive Tuscaloosa, AL, tornado and others. I live hundreds of miles away from the event. Amazing just how powerful a suction it had to put the debris into the jet stream.”

pccoder said, “Unfortunately the death toll is only going to rise. My brother-in-law is a police officer in Tuscaloosa. He saw six dead on one street late Wednesday. Once all the rubble is cleaned and the final tally is done, we're going to find that many more died than have been stated so far.”

gdcox said, “I am mystified. Over here in the U.K , where I am checking in to understand the scale of this disaster (despite the wedding), we built concrete shelters in our garden when Hitler's bombs became a threat. So how come houses are built in your area with no cellars or buried shelter when you know your lives will be occasionally threatened by a tornado? It seems all in Birmingham knew this monster was coming, but in the many stories, no one talks of running for the shelter/cellar. “

ArmanX, from Kansas, wondered the same thing. “I used to live in Kansas, and everyone had a storm cellar (or basement). Even after we filled ours in (it was falling apart), we would still go down the street to the neighbors who had a basement.”

pkt1153 replied, “The water table for many places in the south US is too high for underground basements or cellars: they would flood. An aboveground cellar made of steel or concrete is cost prohibitive for most when you consider the chances of being hit by a tornado are about 1 in 2 million (about 7 times less than being struck by lightning).

NateDawgUM agreed, “Additionally, the South is very wet and humid, so mold becomes a huge problem in basements. If you don't have a basement and you know a monster storm is on the way, it never hurts to hit up the local mall or Wal-Mart.”

1. Francine

Really! How much money was wasted on that wedding. How long will they last?

April 29, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolasmama

Is it your money? Should they have not had a wedding? What are you the wedding police?

April 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. saveTheworld

check wat happing the world....war , tornado, why we focos on this royal wedding?

April 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Information

Because learning to write the Queen's English would be a step forward.

April 29, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

Dear CNN: Why do you allow idiots to post??????

April 29, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

You should not be so hard on yourself Cesar.

April 30, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. David M

I had the good fortune to meet Princess Diana in London while I was there on vacation in 1994. You can view my video on YouTube.com. Search for: The day i met Princess Diana. Or click on this link http://youtu.be/fJXfM0FVoVU

April 29, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Josie in Fla

The events in the south were tragic and it will take a long time to recover from them. I believe it was a good idea to air the Royal Wedding today. It takes people out of their own personal misery for a few hours and gives them something to talk about. Watching these two young people today, totally in love, was refreshing and gives us all hope for brighter days.

April 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Colleen Nikstenas

Wow. Why must the news be one or the other anywhere? I needed a happy thought or two today after the horror of the South here. There is nothing wrong with covering this story or enjoying it. But neither is more important than the other except by where you reside. I reside in the US. For us this huge loss of life is tremendous, and devastating. Josie is right it will take a long time to sift through the rubble and sorrow. But for now, for a "brief shining moment," we rejoiced over something wonderful and rare. I believe that is what most people feel, but stumbled over prejudices. Shame on you all if you didn't, because the one-sidedness of speech on either side shows a true lack of consideration and empathy.

April 29, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Well said!

April 30, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cyndi

Though I am not a royal follower I thought that it was a blessing to wake up to a love story this morning! I am not ignorant to the fact that we have several wars going on, Americans are unemployed, children are starving or obese, the awful tornado took the lives of several hundred people, we are shooting each other, we are kidnapping and raping woman and children. The news does a he11 of a job of reminding me of all those awful things every day, and if the news doesnt remind me, the moment I walk out my front door the realization of these issues are right on my door step! So to wake up to a story of love, fate, and fairytales was quite breath taking. This story is what little girls dreams are made of. To be like every one else one day and to be a princess the next! I appreciate the small break from reality to live in a fairytale even for just a brief moment. Soon we will be back to reporting all the doom and gloom of the world.

April 29, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cvete

Thanks to this article comments now are going to be less spontaneous and more thoughtful.

April 29, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. djsteviemac

I live in NY and I am so very sorry for the countless lives lost in the south. But people making negative comments about the royal wedding. I'm sure they did not plan their wedding on our day of disaster. Things like this happen every day storms, auto accident's, plane crashes, hate crimes but people still have to go to work to school etc. Life just does not stop because of tragedies. I saw both on TV the devastation in the south whom I morn with and the wedding of William And Kate which I thought was a wonderful historical event.

l

April 29, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. tess

My frustration this morning wasn't about what was more important...my frustration was that every network made this an all or nothing situation. I awake a little after 4 am central time. I couldn't be the overnight feed to tell me anything about the events in areas that are in close proximity, where loved ones live, where my fellow citizens live. I flipped through every channel and only found a British Royal wedding happening - I'd never take anything away from the British Royal family, but when a natural disaster from a tornado occurred and the only "news" available was from a wedding in England I was a bit frustrated.
    I have nothing against the royal family, but I think that it would have been helpful for folks in the south the at least be able to hear SOMETHING about the 300 people who perished in a tremendous natural disaster instead of hearing how much the gown looked like Princess Grace's dress from 50 years ago. Wow, that helped. I really think that the royal family would be pretty frustrated by the coverage of the wedding vs. coverage of the natural disaster.

April 29, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. anonymous

man some of you people are really really really F___G SICK!

April 29, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. djsteviemac

Theo You are VULGAR!!!!!!!

April 29, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mainguyen

I hear that she is in for a tough "job." I'm trying to figure out what's so tough?! Sure, she may have to make 6 clothing changes in a day, but she will NEVER lack being able to pay her bills, feed her kids, daycare, health care...etc.

I'm very happy for the couple. I am, however, never going to be one who says, "Well....her job isn't as easy as it seems."

Per the news channel this evening, she had a boy friend until Prince William met her at a party. Guess tat guy was dumped lickety split. She ain't no dummy. She is....after all...a princess now.

April 29, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • OldGoat

What are you saying? Kate married William solely for his money and that he will eventually be king? I guess it wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. It's been said that every woman has her price...

April 30, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Julie

I'd have to disagree if you are saying the marriage is only for money or power etc, the way the two of them were looking into each others eyes and exchanging those glances through the ceremony, you could tell they were in love.

April 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. G

Neither Catherine nor William deserve any respect. She gave up her faith for the throne, converting from Catholicism simply because English law does not allow a monarch to marry a Catholic even though no restriction applies in the case of a Jew or Muslim. Catherine has subjugated herself and set a poor example for all women of the world, of any faith, race, or belief. And, if William truly respected and loved her above all else, above his own personal ambitions for the crown, he would have done what his great-great-uncle Edward VIII did, so profoundly, and abdicated his succession to the throne rather than force his bride to give up her faith. Or at least William should have confronted the prejudice of his society and demanded the right to marry a Catholic or anyone of his choosing. William has no balls.

April 29, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

You idiot, she isn't Catholic, she is Protestant and always has been

April 30, 2011 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
    • G

Kevin, you are right and I was wrong. The press is trying to confuse the issue and I failed to check all facts about Catherine specifically.

The press is still trying to raise an issue though.
      "The king can marry a commoner - but not a Catholic. That's specified under the 1701 Act of Settlement. It's not a problem in Middleton's case, but it caused a wrinkle when William's cousin Peter Phillips married Canadian-born Autumn Kelly in 2008. The bride, who was raised Catholic, converted to Anglicanism before the wedding, and Phillips, the son of Princess Anne, did not have to give up his place in the succession rights."

April 30, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • CEY

Right. Like people don't convert every day so that they can marry the person they love. My brother converted from Protestant to Catholic when he was married. Apparently, Catholics can't marry Protestants. He did this because HE LOVED HER. And then they got divorced five years later. She left him. Even though Catholics don't believe in divorce. The reality is, marriage is no longer a spiritual agreement, it's a legal agreement.

April 30, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kitty Puss

Get a grip! With all the bad news cluttering up the airways and newspapers, it is a breath of fresh air to have something light and beautiful to get our minds off the problems in the world. Relax. Enjoy it. Smile.

April 29, 2011 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |