Overheard on CNN.com: Wedding bells and death knells
April 29th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Wedding bells and death knells

Exchange of the Day:
"The only normal looking person in this whole drama is the bride; the rest of them look like Martians or characters from a science fiction movie."–poulose

"You have to think of it like 'Star Wars' without the light sabers."–politauk

William and Catherine marry in royal wedding at Westminster Abbey

Two events shared center stage today: Prince William and Catherine’s wedding in London and the aftermath of a string of tornadoes that killed nearly 300 across the American Southeast. Some CNN.com readers argued over whether the coverage was balanced or appropriate, while others shared their feelings and experiences about the separate events.

alexjones999 said, “How wonderful. All of the problems in the world but the world is focused on this trivial nonsense.” bilbo0s said, “300 fellow Americans dead in Alabama. Countless lives of fellow Americans blown away in Alabama. What makes the front page? Will and Kate are getting married!!! That explains a lot about America.”

LaserMan72 said, “Which should have more priority? Over 300 people died in Storm (In USA) or Royal Wedding (Not even in USA). Give me a break.”

But mr60233 argued that “this is an international event. Look at a map. Do you see those other pieces of land? They are called countries, and believe it or not, people that are not American live in them. I am sorry 300 people died. However, tornadoes happen all the time in the USA, and people die every day. This kind of event (the wedding) happens once every 30 years or so.”

barbie1311 said, "There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a few moments out of one's life to get lost in a fairy tale. It does not take away anything from the tragedies of the world. It's all about balance."

chitown27 said, "I'm in London right now, went to Westminster this morning and it was unbelievable. Most Americans have no sense of history whatsoever, which is why the trolls keep complaining on here. It was awesome watching the procession, the history and the pomp."

Savannah416 said, "With roots in India, I am the last one to argue against comments against British colonization; however, given the state of the world today, I'm also able to set aside negative thoughts for a morning and relish the beauty of a wedding of two people who have been in love for quite awhile."

GuestColin said, “What a bunch of cranky people the lot of you are! I've bought a ring, planned it out and will be getting engaged this summer after a 3-year courtship. Best to Wills and Kate. The rest of you need to go take a nap!”

TreeTop said, “Beautiful dress. Happy couple. Awesome news!” Mjollnir said, “This seems as good a reason as any to have some gourmet food and a toast tonight. We need more reasons to celebrate. There are still good things in this world.” Ealdwulf said, “They do certainly seem to be in love.”

Shaken, dazed residents recount tornado horrors

One UK resident, checking news on both sides of the pond, wondered why there were concrete bomb shelters in British gardens but no concrete tornado shelters in the South. Other CNN.com readers shared what it was like during and after the storm.

scrubbed said, “Hell came to visit us here in Alabama on Wednesday. It was absolutely terrifying, especially once the power went out and even cell phones didn't work. All you could do was listen for the tornado sirens and pray you wouldn't be killed. We still have a house. Thousands don't. We've lost our food in the freezer, but so many lost their lives. Those of us who survived will be here for the families of those who didn't. I want my kids to understand that they have survived a very dark day in history. ln2dablue replied, “I feel for ya bro. I'm glad you made it.” crackiswhack said, “God bless and hang tight.”

BlogBlogger said, “I went out into my front lawn and removed tar paper and roofing shingles from the massive Tuscaloosa, AL, tornado and others. I live hundreds of miles away from the event. Amazing just how powerful a suction it had to put the debris into the jet stream.”

pccoder said, “Unfortunately the death toll is only going to rise. My brother-in-law is a police officer in Tuscaloosa. He saw six dead on one street late Wednesday. Once all the rubble is cleaned and the final tally is done, we're going to find that many more died than have been stated so far.”

gdcox said, “I am mystified. Over here in the U.K , where I am checking in to understand the scale of this disaster (despite the wedding), we built concrete shelters in our garden when Hitler's bombs became a threat. So how come houses are built in your area with no cellars or buried shelter when you know your lives will be occasionally threatened by a tornado? It seems all in Birmingham knew this monster was coming, but in the many stories, no one talks of running for the shelter/cellar. “

ArmanX, from Kansas, wondered the same thing. “I used to live in Kansas, and everyone had a storm cellar (or basement). Even after we filled ours in (it was falling apart), we would still go down the street to the neighbors who had a basement.”

pkt1153 replied, “The water table for many places in the south US is too high for underground basements or cellars: they would flood. An aboveground cellar made of steel or concrete is cost prohibitive for most when you consider the chances of being hit by a tornado are about 1 in 2 million (about 7 times less than being struck by lightning).

NateDawgUM agreed, “Additionally, the South is very wet and humid, so mold becomes a huge problem in basements. If you don't have a basement and you know a monster storm is on the way, it never hurts to hit up the local mall or Wal-Mart.”

1. Dave from GA

When will this crappy royal wedding get over? Tired of these unimportant royal wedding articles. Media should put articles of everyone's (poor, middle, rich, lawyers, farmers, nurses, and many more) wedding on top of any major media network.

April 30, 2011 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Deborah

The royal wedding is living history and the pageantry goes back centuries. Anyone versed in Great Britian's history would be excited about this modern-day historic event. It really is a glance back into the past.

April 30, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jim

The Monarchy is an expensive doll house that should be consigned to the ash heap of history.

April 30, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • jaintn

Go soak your head.

April 30, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  3. dogs rule

Tragedies happen all the time. But, do we have to focus on "sad and depressing" every waking moment of every bloody day??? Is death and destruction really the only thing we should care about? Give it a rest all you whiners!! The wedding was a beautiful spectacle to watch, and why shouldn't the public take a BREAK and enjoy it!!! It's a world event. You don't have to "care", per se; just enjoy the beauty and pageantry which happens perhaps twice in the average lifetime. I loved it!

April 30, 2011 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kelsey

Have we all become so cynical? I am sorry for those whose lives were lost, and their families, I understand that they must be going through such a difficult time trying to pick up the pieces. But, why does everyone need to bash the royal wedding? There are so many terrible things that happen in the world every day, can't we finally celebrate something? It was actually refreshing to see the royal wedding on the news versus the wars in Libya, Iraq, and Afghanistan, or the rising gas prices. We hear about so many negative things on such a daily basis, why can't we be happy for Kate and William getting married? Congratulations to William and Kate; and my thoughts and prayers are with those whose families were affected by the devastating tornadoes.

April 30, 2011 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. bubba1111

Is the wedding silly? Yes. Are the deaths tragic? Yes. Is making the banner headline about the wedding instead of the tornado deaths taking relief away from the victims? nope.

People need distractions. It's amazing how selectively high-and-mighty we are as a society. Most TV programming is garbage. It runs on while countries around the world are embroiled in conflict and killing. We are fighting TWO WARS right now; should the fun stop? NO! The wars should stop.

April 30, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

Cynical

April 30, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. ted

I agree with mr60233. The history of the wedding was amazing! Yet my heart does go to those who suffered in the USA, and to those who suffer everyday around the world but never get news time in the States. My heart goes to the Haitians who are still suffering but have been forgotten. My heart could go on and on..... so let us enjoy some light happiness and joy from time to time.

April 30, 2011 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. jaintn

It's interesting how many people have nasty things to say about this. The fact that there was a terrible storm in the US and many were killed should change the plans of this couple? Should change how a few billion other people feel about this event? I live in Tennessee and twice on Wednesday night I was hunkered down in the bathroom with my terrified dogs while what sounded like a freight train was tearing through my neighborhood. I thought I was going to die. I have a hole in my roof, my yard looks like someone dropped a bomb on it, my car is totaled, and I'm one of the lucky ones because I survived it. Did I watch William and Kate get married? You bet I did. Was I angry their wedding got worldwide coverage in the media? No, if I was angry about it, that would make me a jerk with a stick up my butt.

April 30, 2011 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. Cesar

Soak your head in pine sol

April 30, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. clarke

Believe it or not, like it or not, life goes on. The wedding wasn't planned around the storms and storms were not planned around the wedding. Life happens, deal with it.

April 30, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lynne

@Kevin,

President Obama and his wife were not invited to the wedding, as it has been reported many times, because it was not an official state event. In other words, while William is the heir, Charles is the heir apparent. When Charles and Diana married, President Reagan and his wife were invited. Reagan did not go because he was recovering from the assassination attempt but Nancy did. If they had invited Obama, they would have had to invite other heads of state (France, Italy, etc.). Did it seem wrong? Yes, a little but this is how "they got away with it" so to speak.

Obama is set to visit the Queen next month on an official visit, so I doubt he has any hard feelings. Besides, he may have opted to skip it anyway, in light of the storm damage in the South.

April 30, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. Davey

I get this guy's point about American media focusing in on a wedding and not on the tornadoes. First, royal blood or not, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, of African, Asian or European decent, we are all equal under the law. The media has their priorities screwed up. Priorities are a defined by one's values and thus their values are out of wack too. People have found ways to make our wasteful government just a bit more efficient, save lives without government intrusion into our lives increasing and none of that ever makes the news yet the media will talk about some arrogant redheads drug rehab. Such diatribe never, NEVER enrich any one's lives. I look at the online news once a month or so and it's all the same – slanted left or right with gossip and spin to make money. Maybe so many papers would not have gone out of business had they printed news for us to read and not sensationalism to vainly attempt to dumb us down.

April 30, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Sense

Um, under what law are we all equal? Are you speaking of Americans, or people in those countries? If you are speaking of Muslims, Africans and others in those countries, they do not protect all people under any sort of world encompassing law. In America, technically speaking all people are protected under the law, but even that took years and years to make true and still is argued.

April 30, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. Realroyal

The wedding was like a Halloween costume party. What is royal about them is that the Brits hyped it up for revenue. The so called "royals" are a big tourist attraction. Britain needs them for money generation. The "royals" rule nothing and no one. They are on a stipend of the British government. Piers Morgan on CNN kept saying it was not a costume that William was wearing. It is a military uniform. Ha! Wear that in combat and see what happens. REDCOATS. So why were the page boys dressed in it? COSTUME. Some Brit kept they are not buses but motor coaches. I smell British pride. THEY ARE BUSES.

April 30, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Dina

Yes – this was a highlight of the century and it will always be remembered as something wonderful. Yes there were storms in US and so many died – but also there are wars all over the world and America goes on ... so I think that there are bad things that happened in the world and good things – sometimes it's not all about bad, we need to focus on good things as well. Some of you ignorant people need to go somewhere else and take your anger out! And leave Kate and William alone! 😉 By the way her gown was so elegant and she looked stunning!

April 30, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Ax

Well said Dina! Sadly there a many people with anger issues. To hell with them.

April 30, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • CeeBee

I agree 100%. The people that are complaining about the coverage of the wedding preempting the disaster coverage should turn off the TV and make a donation to an organization that can actually help these people that have been devasted. Sitting on one's butt and watching endless pictures of demolished homes and businesses is doing nothing to help the people that need it.

April 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wayne

Wow, I haven't read all the comments but I really can't believe it. What happened yesterday with the marriage of Prince William is historical, and English history being written. Foregoing Prince Charles, William will be the King of England and Kate now the Duchess of Cambridge will be the Queen. So what you might say .... yup nothing changes internationally, they don't get their money from the Brits, they do work, and no they don't have any political power. They are just Royalty... Kings and Queens of history still around today.

The U.S., Canada, Australia, all have their history in England.... I am originally from Canada and now live in the U.S. – and what is very apparent to me is that the USA has more interest in England and the Royals than Canada. In North Dakota and other spots of the country the word "aunt" is even pronounced like the Brits.

The Royals – including the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – live on and create their own history through family... Long live the Royals.

April 30, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Deborah

I found it to be an uplifting event and a nice diversion from the dark side of today's reality.

For those of you that are upset about the lack of attention the storms received – during the wedding coverage, I found several stations that were covering the destruction in the US and was able to follow both news stories easily.

April 30, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |