Overheard on CNN.com: Wedding bells and death knells
April 29th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Wedding bells and death knells

Exchange of the Day:
"The only normal looking person in this whole drama is the bride; the rest of them look like Martians or characters from a science fiction movie."–poulose

"You have to think of it like 'Star Wars' without the light sabers."–politauk

William and Catherine marry in royal wedding at Westminster Abbey

Two events shared center stage today: Prince William and Catherine’s wedding in London and the aftermath of a string of tornadoes that killed nearly 300 across the American Southeast. Some CNN.com readers argued over whether the coverage was balanced or appropriate, while others shared their feelings and experiences about the separate events.

alexjones999 said, “How wonderful. All of the problems in the world but the world is focused on this trivial nonsense.” bilbo0s said, “300 fellow Americans dead in Alabama. Countless lives of fellow Americans blown away in Alabama. What makes the front page? Will and Kate are getting married!!! That explains a lot about America.”

LaserMan72 said, “Which should have more priority? Over 300 people died in Storm (In USA) or Royal Wedding (Not even in USA). Give me a break.”

But mr60233 argued that “this is an international event. Look at a map. Do you see those other pieces of land? They are called countries, and believe it or not, people that are not American live in them. I am sorry 300 people died. However, tornadoes happen all the time in the USA, and people die every day. This kind of event (the wedding) happens once every 30 years or so.”

barbie1311 said, "There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a few moments out of one's life to get lost in a fairy tale. It does not take away anything from the tragedies of the world. It's all about balance."

chitown27 said, "I'm in London right now, went to Westminster this morning and it was unbelievable. Most Americans have no sense of history whatsoever, which is why the trolls keep complaining on here. It was awesome watching the procession, the history and the pomp."

Savannah416 said, "With roots in India, I am the last one to argue against comments against British colonization; however, given the state of the world today, I'm also able to set aside negative thoughts for a morning and relish the beauty of a wedding of two people who have been in love for quite awhile."

GuestColin said, “What a bunch of cranky people the lot of you are! I've bought a ring, planned it out and will be getting engaged this summer after a 3-year courtship. Best to Wills and Kate. The rest of you need to go take a nap!”

TreeTop said, “Beautiful dress. Happy couple. Awesome news!” Mjollnir said, “This seems as good a reason as any to have some gourmet food and a toast tonight. We need more reasons to celebrate. There are still good things in this world.” Ealdwulf said, “They do certainly seem to be in love.”

Shaken, dazed residents recount tornado horrors

One UK resident, checking news on both sides of the pond, wondered why there were concrete bomb shelters in British gardens but no concrete tornado shelters in the South. Other CNN.com readers shared what it was like during and after the storm.

scrubbed said, “Hell came to visit us here in Alabama on Wednesday. It was absolutely terrifying, especially once the power went out and even cell phones didn't work. All you could do was listen for the tornado sirens and pray you wouldn't be killed. We still have a house. Thousands don't. We've lost our food in the freezer, but so many lost their lives. Those of us who survived will be here for the families of those who didn't. I want my kids to understand that they have survived a very dark day in history. ln2dablue replied, “I feel for ya bro. I'm glad you made it.” crackiswhack said, “God bless and hang tight.”

BlogBlogger said, “I went out into my front lawn and removed tar paper and roofing shingles from the massive Tuscaloosa, AL, tornado and others. I live hundreds of miles away from the event. Amazing just how powerful a suction it had to put the debris into the jet stream.”

pccoder said, “Unfortunately the death toll is only going to rise. My brother-in-law is a police officer in Tuscaloosa. He saw six dead on one street late Wednesday. Once all the rubble is cleaned and the final tally is done, we're going to find that many more died than have been stated so far.”

gdcox said, “I am mystified. Over here in the U.K , where I am checking in to understand the scale of this disaster (despite the wedding), we built concrete shelters in our garden when Hitler's bombs became a threat. So how come houses are built in your area with no cellars or buried shelter when you know your lives will be occasionally threatened by a tornado? It seems all in Birmingham knew this monster was coming, but in the many stories, no one talks of running for the shelter/cellar. “

ArmanX, from Kansas, wondered the same thing. “I used to live in Kansas, and everyone had a storm cellar (or basement). Even after we filled ours in (it was falling apart), we would still go down the street to the neighbors who had a basement.”

pkt1153 replied, “The water table for many places in the south US is too high for underground basements or cellars: they would flood. An aboveground cellar made of steel or concrete is cost prohibitive for most when you consider the chances of being hit by a tornado are about 1 in 2 million (about 7 times less than being struck by lightning).

NateDawgUM agreed, “Additionally, the South is very wet and humid, so mold becomes a huge problem in basements. If you don't have a basement and you know a monster storm is on the way, it never hurts to hit up the local mall or Wal-Mart.”

1. Ax

Congratulations to the bride and groom. May they have a happy life together!

Condolences to all those suffering from the weather related tragedies. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

April 30, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joy

Hello!!! News Flash, some of us up on here are not even born royal and yet act up like you arethe owner of the world univere...This boy right here is one of the humblest person i have ever known. He helps people, comfort them, and these same people came out to rejoice with him on his day. Yet we crazy Americans (Yes am American too and really sad about what rubbish is coming out of ur people's mouth) have the right to say nonsense about the wedding. How dare you? There are so many other things happening to people all over the world, and just because of one disaster the whole word should stand still for what??? I do pray for every one in Alabama and God's strength be theirs, that's all of the news too people...Everything i read and see talks abt the tornado...

April 30, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

"some of us up on here are not even born royal and yet act up like you arethe owner of the world univere.."

Very true. Many fellow Americans are this way. The ones most bashing William and Catherine are merely jealous, and would probably kick their own grandmother over a cliff in a nanosecond to have even HALF the wealth and fame. Is the recent tornado outbreak more important? OF COURSE IT IS. But this other is also legit news, and no one has to read nor watch it.

April 30, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cindy

Blah blah blah blah. More self-important know-it-alls who apparently truly believe other people care about their little opinions...

April 30, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. i rock

Theo is the man

April 30, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. ABetterWorld

How refreshing to watch something on TV that wasn't about a disaster. All pageantry and pure joy.

Piers Morgan did a WONDERFUL job with his commentary. Unfortunately Anderson Cooper (ever the muck raker) attempted to inject a negative comment about the vehicle Kate was was being carried in, only moments after we first saw the bride in her car headed for the Abbey. Fortunately Morgan was quick to cut him off and let the pageantry remain untainted by negativity. Piers has been a great addition to CNN.

April 30, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. Deborah

I am an American and found the wedding to be a spark of light penetrating the dark gloom of today's reality. For just a day, we were removed from the bleakness of our times and presented with a single uplifting and breathtaking event that seemed to visibly renew the spirit of the UK populous, and possibly even the US's. I for one know that I'll have a smile on my face for days following this inspiring event.

As for the terrible destruction from the tornados and floods that resulted in loss of lives, I was easily able to find several stations that were covering this news during the wedding. I, along with any other American were perfectly able to follow both news stories.

April 30, 2011 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ourkie

The wedding was lovely, the fact that CNN had to feature a post allegedly from Alex Jones is just plain sad.

April 30, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Corinne

Congrats toThe Duke and Dutchess of Cambridge. I am sure Princess Diana was watching with all smiles. I dont take anything away from all the bad that is going on in this world but it is very nice that something HAPPY is plastered all over the news. We have so many bad things that go on everyday why should we not have something happy to look forward too. So I guess all I am saying is if you don't want to watch it don't but don't knock the ones that do...

April 30, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. Glades2

Joey, you write like someone who's never been a victim of a natural disaster – I was a Hurricane Andrew victim, and know well what these people are going through right now. As for the wedding, I did enjoy watching the 30 minutes before and the 15 minutes after the ceremony, but after all it is a wedding, and cannot be compared with human suffering...

April 30, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  10. Perri

I enjoyed watching the royal wedding. It was a welcome break from the sad news engulfing the US. I come from a military family and am weary of news of our endless wars. I live in the south where the tornados have been devastating and welcomed a break from our national miseries. We need mental relief from our endless tragedies. Don't watch these charming events if it annoys you.

April 30, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

What happened in Alabama was horrible, but still, life goes on in the rest of the world. Even though it was particularly strong and devastating, we get storm cells like this in the South all the time.

Speaking of, can anyone explain to me why North Florida does not have tornado sirens like Alabama does?

April 30, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. Beautiful People

KEVIN: :Also Presidents (of any nation) are typically not invited to Royal weddings as a matter of protocal unless those being married have an established relationship/friendship with one." I am aware of this, but I look at it this way, USA went to war and eliminate the monarchy from cashing/taxing in/on USA hard work, hundreds of years ago, why in the world would they want anything to do with you. TACK, listen buddy, I think Americans don't have a culture. It is by having your own particular "culture" that you develop respect for the rest of the things like History of other countries and appreciation for more in life. I am honestly tired of watching the news and hearing about people dying, people that have a very similar opposition to the wedding having so much attention as you, fail to see the bigger picture of things. How much have you done to help the less fortunate. You are nothing more than a duck, you quack but don't hatch. futate tampitule

April 30, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. Actually

I have one question. If your wedding day was planned In Washington State, would you have cancelled the wedding for the tornado in Alabama? Would you decide to donate all your wedding and honeymoon money to the needy? Be honest. Would you?
    The world would be a much better place if no one bought anything but absolute what is needed and all extra money from EVERYONE is given to the poor, the needy. Ok,, so who wants to be the first in line to this? Any volunteers?

April 30, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Saint

I'm guilty of agreeing. Yeah, it would be much better of if people were more humanity driven and less self driven. I am just as guilty as the next person of being self indulgent.

April 30, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. wow

comments are the article that we can post comments on

April 30, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. katemiddletonkichudai

Kate Middleton ki chut mein mera lund.....

April 30, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |