Elite U.S. soldier's perspective: Bin Laden's dead, but 'it's not over'
A U.S. Army soldier rides through the streets of Kandahar, Afghanistan, three months after 9/11.
May 2nd, 2011

Elite U.S. soldier's perspective: Bin Laden's dead, but 'it's not over'

A soldier in a special forces unit based in Georgia told CNN on Monday that while the news of Osama bin Laden’s death is cause for celebration, elite military units have sprung into high alert.

“A lot of guys got their security clearances elevated due to what happened last night,” said Lamont, who didn’t give his last name because of what he said were security reasons. “I lot of people got called back” overseas, he said, adding that his unit already was scheduled for deployment as early as two weeks ago.

The U.S. special forces operation that killed bin Laden took place Sunday at a mansion in Abbottabad, about 30 miles (50 kilometers) from the Pakistani capital, Islamabad.

Lamont, who's been in the service for 17 years, called into Atlanta radio station WVEE-FM (V-103) on Monday morning to voice support for U.S. troops. "I didn't call for the glorification for ourselves," he told CNN. "We don’t do this for the praise, but I wanted to do this for other servicemen."

Lamont said while Americans celebrated the death of bin Laden, it was a time of vigilance for elite military units. “It’s a joyous time, don’t get me wrong, but we also have to look for what’s to come. It's not over."

Referring to the al Qaeda terrorist network, Lamont said, "You've got people who are trying to prove themselves and it’ll come down to, 'We want to avenge his death,' which is something (bin Laden) most definitely taught them."

Anti-terror experts agreed Monday, saying the demise of bin Laden doesn't necessarily reduce the terrorist threat.

"Al Qaeda is weakened. But it doesn't mean that the United States has no challenges," Steven L. Spiegel, director for the Center for Middle East Development at the University of California, Los Angeles, said Monday.

Post by:
Filed under: Al Qaeda • Osama bin Laden • September 11 • Terrorism
  1. banasy

@micheal: Wha...??

May 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

i heard that osama messed up and used his real name when ordering pizza... aparently he had the munchies real bad and the wouldn't take his credit card info without verifying him as an approved card user..

May 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. john

Im glad they killed him
    Just wish it was me that gave him the old double tap.
    Power to the teams

May 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Sorry folks,I never posted that stupid comment above. I wish that this jerk would just use his own name when vomiting his ignrance here!

May 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Peter

Army Rangers lead the way... ALL THE WAY!!

May 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ray

It is my understand that the NAVY SEALS accomplished the deed

May 2, 2011 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

I admire Obama enormously for getting this punishing extermination accomplished.

May 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Isaac daniel shoff

The soldiers name that got him needs to published honestly before Black Water tries taking credit for what he did or someone who is worthless. And capitalizes on creating fake History. These marks in history are important and necessary. This is suppost to be the duty of the President of th United States and to make sure that this soldier is protected while honestly publishing his name. If the President cannot do this what are the soldiers fighting for. It is soppost to be truth. No disrespect Mr. President.

Isaac Daniel Shoff

May 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • whtthefuk

you my friend have no clue what you are talking about.

May 3, 2011 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Brandon

I think this guy is full of crap...his words don't jibe.

May 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

I think that this jerk really thinks that he's a big shot now. I don't think that even David Berkowitz bragged like that!

May 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. john

bin laudin is alive
    Team six killed him
    Six does not exist therefore they could not have killed him
    So he is alive
    This is according to my unnamed sources in No Such Agency

May 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jimmy

I love that the source is "Lamont," a seventeen year veterean from an elite unit. Pretty sure he should ask his supervisor before speaking to the press or calling into a radio station.

May 2, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Now I suppose they'll treat this jerk like a saint! How gross!

May 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • iloveyourface17

Whats funny, Jimmy, is that I was thinking the same thing. and this guy is an idiot to be blasting operations to radio and CNN.

May 3, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
    • whtthefuk

Like as a member of the 82 nd, 101, Rangers, etc you can't call a radio station and give your opinion without having to clear it through operations? As long as you play by OPSEC you can say what you think, but callíng Biden Bite me, would get you removed from duty. ( he gave a first name and nothing else, and the picture isn't him, where's the problem? )
      The elite troop didn't say anything above that the rest of the military isn't think right now, dam, whats next, and when does it ever stop... and watch your back, on base and off. Overseas is worse.

May 3, 2011 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. RUFFNUTT

All this festivity over the brutal murder of on man is quite repulsive to say the least. What's this country coming to anyway? Whatever it is,I don't like it!!!

May 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey

Thank you,RUFFNUTT. I'm equally appalled at the reaction of the American public to this brutal murder. All just to make this creep Barack Obama look good!!!

May 3, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

I'm with you RUFFNUTT , It isnt for us to say who dies , only god and who ever wishes anyone to go to hell is there already. We should have wished for his soul to be saved.

May 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Firepower

And Bin Laden fired first.A big mistake on his part.The mastermind of the 911 attacks was destined to die.
    He deserved it.Good going to our vigilant american military commandoes for bringing justice to that coward.

May 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. iloveyourface17

First off, those of you who say "oh its so sad we killed him"... shut up. i am military and have fought this stupid fight for years. long hours, no family, divorce, death, sadness. yesterday when i heard the news, it felt like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders. i felt as tho for that minute, you freedom of speech a holes, america had come together and we could celebrate as one. dealing with "security measures" and the bull crap I had to put up with yesterday and then coming into work again today to deal with the bull crap, gave me a glimmer of hope that maybe I am doing this for the right reason. So you can feel bad for a murderer?? Screw you.

May 3, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bob Mittel

A great day for all the world and especially the U.S.A. The death of Bin Laden was a critical end result in removing the dark cloud that covered the civilized world after 911. We remain the greatest country in the world-justice wins and we honor all those who died on that dark cloudy day today. Way to go soldiers-heroes.

May 3, 2011 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |