Tuesday's intriguing people
Ex-Pakistani leader Pervez Musharraf says second-guessing his country's role in the war on terror damages U.S.-Pakistani ties.
May 3rd, 2011

Tuesday's intriguing people

Pervez Musharraf

Pakistan's former president appeared on CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360°" on Monday evening, offering a curious, if not contradictory account of his views on Osama bin Laden's whereabouts in recent years. A key ally in the U.S. war on terror until his ouster in 2008, Musharraf said he’d always known that bin Laden was in either Afghanistan or Pakistan. That remark drew protests from host Anderson Cooper who insisted that Musharraf always denied that his country was harboring the terrorist.

“Anyone who said (bin Laden’s) in Pakistan also didn't have the intelligence (to prove it)," Musharraf said. “(Bin Laden being in Pakistan) was not based on any intelligence. It was guesswork."

Musharraf then blamed intelligence sources for the fact that bin Laden was in an urban area, so close to the Pakistan Military Academy and the capital of Islamabad - not in an Afghan cave, as many had speculated. Second-guessing Pakistan’s cooperation in the war on terror only destroys trust between Pakistan and the U.S., he said.

Musharraf finished the interview by saying that while eliminating bin Laden is a good thing for "peace-loving people," having the U.S. military enter Pakistan doesn’t go “with Pakistan's sensitivities.”

“We cannot indicate in any form that we are willing to compromise on our sovereignty like that,” he said.

Sohaib Athar

The 33-year-old Abbottabad, Pakistan, man who unknowingly live-tweeted the military assault on bin Laden's compound spoke by telephone Tuesday on CNN’s "American Morning."  Athar told CNN's Ali Velshi that he was up late, writing computer code when he heard helicopters, a rarity in his neighborhood.

As he tweeted his annoyance about the racket, he joked about swatting the choppers with a fly swatter. Then, about eight minutes later, he heard the explosion. Read an account of his story here.

Johnny Spann

His son, Mike Spann, was the first American to die in Afghanistan pursuing bin Laden. On Monday, CNN’s Wayne Drash spoke to the father of the deceased CIA agent for his response to the news the al Qaeda leader had been killed.

"We're happy to hear the news that Osama bin laden is dead,” Spann said. “We feel the world is a much better and safer place without him. We also understand and realize there are other al Qaeda leaders who helped carry out his murderous acts that he's committed over the years.

"This will not bring Mike back, and it won't bring back those lost on 9/11 and the members of the military who have lost their lives in Afghanistan in retaliation for the 9/11 attacks.”

He said he felt 9/11 could have been avoided altogether had bin Laden been "taken out when al Qaeda was being formed."

Lauren Manning

Nearly 10 years after 82 percent of her body was burned in the attacks on the World Trade Center, the 9/11 survivor remained press shy, but released a statement about bin Laden's death.

"The physical and emotional pain of that day - the loss of colleagues, friends, first responders; the agony of families whose lives were forever shattered - will never fade completely," Manning said. "But yesterday, the courageous men and women in our armed services fulfilled a promise to the American people, and renewed our faith that one day the world can be made free of terrorism and its instigators.”

Manning's memoir about her recovery, “Unmeasured Strength: My Story of Survival and Transformation” (Henry Holt and Co.), comes out in August.

1. Jazzzzzzzzzz

@ Lucy, Just ignore Outsider... he's harmless.

May 3, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. i rock

proves you cant believe/trust a paki! cmon jazzy lets see how you roll!! i bet its ALL good woot!!

May 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jazzzzzzzzzz

POPEYE, you still there so sorry about standing you up last night, LOL

May 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. im smart

Juicy lucy

May 3, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lucy

@Jazzzzzzz: oh, ok. Thank you for the heads up. It's not the first time this person has said something to me about my name, but I won't take it personally anymore.

Hey, wait, are you saing HE'S a troll? Lol.

May 3, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzzzz

I've seen him around I think he's just a (instigator) really your better off just ignoring him and he will evenually go away.

May 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzzzz

Ya, you tell em AL ISLAM , I'm right behind ya. He He

May 3, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. im smart

Ur dumb

May 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzzzzz

ok, RUFFNUTT , You leave me no choice... I will track you down like the dog you are for ignoring me.
    (Alex from fatal attraction) "Ruffie , you cant just ignor me" (HEAVY BREATHING) is heard from alex as she makes her way towrds RUFFNUTT.... he retreats.
    Now Ruffie come here like a good little boy and I won't hurt you. RUFFNUTT retreats again.
    Ruffie I've told you for the last time "COME HERE".
    (RUFFNUTT) "No you physco B#($($TCH. "
    Alex: ok Ruffie ,you give me no choice, I'm gonna douse your favorite car with one of ELPHANTBALLS special (HOSE DOWNS).
    RUFFNUTT: Nooooooooooooooooo

To be continued .......

May 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Outsider

Cyber rambo huh al? Im between your wifes legs again so you can find me real easy. .why not post your address you coward? bring lezbo jazzz with

May 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzzzz

Dear Outsider: you are sooo wrong and even if I were a Lezbo I still could kick your "heiny" (tongue sticking out at you)

May 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. im smart

Pakistan knew where he was

May 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Riff*Raff

Another thread taken over by THE TROLL. Just FYI to those playing along: The real Outsider(Jorma)=good
    RuffNutt/popeye/cesar/lucifer and whoever he's picking on presently=Troll.
    Depending on personality du jour sometimes adds to the convo. Sometimes. Now can we just ignore his redundant taunts? Its so tiresome. Moving along....

May 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Outsider

@jazzzzzzz. .sticking my tounge INSIDE of you. .so there!!

May 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

You sick puppy, I'm a MAN.
      Got ya, no i am a women. LOLOLOLO

May 3, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

BTW... I got me some one REAL SPECIAL. No thanks buddy.

May 3, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Riff*Raff

Anybody remember Musharraf's US press tour a few years back? He said on every interview that Osama wasnt in Pakistan. Bhutto's assassination was enough to convince me he's crooked as the day is long. This mansion/compund was built in 2005 near Pakistan's West Point. Im sure they know who is building a concrete fortress three stories high w/10' thick walls . Musharraf knew something. When we stop sharing intel w/them then we find bin Laden. Strange that!

May 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |