Will bin Laden death image silence doubters or fan flames?
A passer-by looks at newspapers reporting the death of Osama bin Laden.
May 3rd, 2011

Will bin Laden death image silence doubters or fan flames?

While the White House and the CIA deliberate whether to release a photo of Osama bin Laden's body, there's debate outside the White House on what impact such graphic images might have.

A key counterterrorism adviser to President Barack Obama said that if the White House does decide to release images, it wants to do it in a "thoughtful manner."

"We also want to anticipate what the reaction might be on the part of al Qaeda or others to the release of certain information so that we can take the appropriate steps beforehand," John Brennan, deputy national security adviser for counterterrorism and homeland security, said on CNN's "American Morning" on Tuesday. "So any other material, whether it be photos or videos or whatever else, we are looking at it and will make the appropriate decisions."

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, a Republican from Michigan, said he was conflicted over whether the administration should release an image of bin Laden.

"It's something that we're gonna have to work through," Rogers said. "We want to make sure that we maintain dignity, if there was any, in Osama bin Laden, so that we don't inflame problems other places in the world, and still provide enough evidence that people are confident that it was Osama bin Laden."

A senior government official involved in the discussions told CNN's John King that the photo release "could" come Tuesday by the CIA, adding that no decision has been made at the White House.

A government official familiar with intelligence matters says deliberations are leaning toward release and said that there is "growing consensus" to release the photo but emphasizes, "it isn't unanimous and everyone has understandable hesitation."

A senior U.S. official told CNN's Jessica Yellin that the photos were taken at a hangar in Afghanistan. The official described it as a clear picture of bin Laden's face, but he has a massive open head wound across both eyes.

Emad El-Din Shahin, a professor of religion at the University of Notre Dame, said the administration is in a "tough situation."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Al Qaeda • Osama bin Laden • September 11 • Terrorism
  1. vod kanockers

for all you disbelievers i hope you are right and when vengence against you is unleashed you can whine about that considering you are all from canada

May 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pamela self

Bin Laden watched with a smile as he created such chaos to the world trade center and to the world. We should be able to watch his reaction to his own suprise death, as he thought he was to smart to get caught. I think the the world should see how it was. We are not praising violence just justice. PAMELA SELF

May 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. pamela self

I would like this read on the air just to see how many agree to my previous post. thanks pamela self

May 3, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jazzzzzzzzzz

ok, RUFFNUTT , You leave me no choice... I will track you down like the dog you are for ignoring me.
    (Alex from fatal attraction) "Ruffie , you cant just ignor me" (HEAVY BREATHING) is heard from alex as she makes her way towrds RUFFNUTT.... he retreats.
    Now Ruffie come here like a good little boy and I won't hurt you. RUFFNUTT retreats again.
    Ruffie I've told you for the last time "COME HERE".
    (RUFFNUTT) "No you physco B#($($TCH. "
    Alex: ok Ruffie ,you give me no choice, I'm gonna douse your favorite car with one of ELPHANTBALLS special (HOSE DOWNS).
    RUFFNUTT: Nooooooooooooooooo

To be continued .......

May 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Here I am,Jazzzzzzzzzz. I still think they murdered a bin Laden look alike since the true Usama bin Laden has most probably been dead for years. Aren't you just as appalled as I am over all this sickening bravado? You must be!

May 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzzzz

@ RUFFNUTT: I am glad you have finally come to your senses. Yes I do question the validity of this sudden finding of and ultimate killing of Osama Bin Laden. I also think he has been dead for years. It just for some reason doesn't sit well with me. Hope I'm wrong though.
      O and if you don't want this sory above to be continued pls heed my warning and do not IGNOR me again.
      BAHAHAHAHAHA

May 3, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. D Rogers

This is sort of off topic, but what happens to the wife and children of OBL that were captured? Nobody seems to be talking about them. Where are they and what is their fate?

May 3, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. eileen dover

I believe he's dead. I'm proud of our President and our Military. Just one question. Where did we acquire the original DNA to compare it to? How? Who got close enough to attain it and hold on to it until we could use it for I.D? I just can't see bin Laden sitting still for a mouth swab and handing it over to us.

May 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

DNA of birth family members was obtained. Bin Laden had a large family. The DNA of birth family members would provide sufficient evidence for identification.

May 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

we got swabs from his family members.

May 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. boog

The worms crawl in the worms crawl out the worms play pinochle in his snout

May 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lucy

Im very good with hand jobs if anyone is interested?

May 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

People of the United States of America and President Obama,
    The Death Photo of OBL needs to be released to prove to the Radical Muslim Street that the United States will go the distance to defeat Terrorism where ever it may hide.Radical Muslims can not hate the USA any more now than it did prior to OBL Liquidation.

May 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

One can hardly blame the Muslims for hating this country after the Navy Seals brutally murdered the purported Usama bin Laden in cold blood. I know I can't.

May 3, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. i rock

I sure dooo!!

May 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jj

eileen they got the dna from his kids back when Bush was in office thats what i heard anyways. and im sure lucy is good at whatever she does unlike the imposter here. SICKO!

May 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jj

oh and also heard that his family disowned him a long time ago which explains why we were able to obtain dna from them

May 3, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tarball

Helll

May 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kathy

I'd rather see his head on a stick outside the WTC site

May 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |